First Time Buyer of TomTom watches

blahBlah22
blahBlah22 Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello ,

I have decided to purchase an activity/fitness tracker, and after some research, I have settled on a TomTom branded one. However, I am stuck between getting a Spark(1,3) or a runner(1,2,3). Overall, all of these models have what I am looking for(GPS,music, notification, Fitness age, 24 hr heart rate) however, I am not sure which to get. I figured I would just get the cheaper and earlier versions, but I am worried that it will quickly become obsolete due to the limited updates I would be able to apply. I am not sure what to do, and was wondering if a more experienced user would have some insight.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    Be very careful to do your homework before purchasing any TT devices as they have already exited the wearables market and are no longer producing new devices, so whatever you buy is going to be obsolete. I would not anticipate any updates beyond bug fixes from now on. The Spark and Runner 2 are the same device as are the Spark 3 and Runner 3, they are just named differently for marketing purposes ( the Runner is a much older model and should not be purchased it has no activity tracker in it). Considering the limitations already noted if you still insist on buying a TT, go with the latest mode as that will have the latest updates and would be most likely to be updated go forward.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • blahBlah22
    blahBlah22 Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you for the response. Regarding the updates, how important are they? If I get an older model like the Spark will it no longer work if the updates stop, or will it just not be as good as what the newer models are?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    They added new features like Fitness Points and VO2Max measurement, so it depends on what you are looking for. The watch will likely still function but it will be as it is out of the box, it will never improve. Again, think carefully before buying a product that has been discontinued, there are plenty of competing products out there from active companies, You will get what you pay for, remember the adage "Buy cheap, buy twice".

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.