Spark 3 discontinued — TomTom Community

Spark 3 discontinued

dorshevdorshev Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, please let me know if its true i am looking to upgrade my original spark to the Spark 3 but i have heard that tomtom are discontinuing their fitness watches, is that true?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,732
    Superusers
    That is true. TomTom has left the wearables market and is not producing any new devices. They will likely continue to support them for the foreseeable future, but I would not expect any changes or major upgrades, just legacy support. Do not count on any new features or upgrades coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.

Also do you homework here on the forums and elsewhere as there have been major problems with the latest builds limiting connectivity with phones that have not been resolved in several months.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • dorshevdorshev Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks for the information it is not the answer i was hoping for as tomtom is the only fitness watch with a built in music player. It is a shame it was a great idea and product.
    Superusers
    dorshev wrote:
    Thanks for the information it is not the answer i was hoping for as tomtom is the only fitness watch with a built in music player. It is a shame it was a great idea and product.

Polar has one with music as well, although it also has some major drawbacks.
  • WizardlingWizardling Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    I like my Spark 3, even with its lacklustre design (though on the upside it is at least inoffensive looking), rigid strap that is either loose or too tight, poor feature set (e.g. why can't I get automatic comparisons of performance for my freestyle workouts around the same track?), poor design decisions (e.g. can only input weight on the watch as whole units - yes, I know I can handle fractional units in the app), non-existent to now poor mobile alert integration, pointlessly limited and one-way Apple Health integration, and the terrible lack of adequate testing and Q&A for new firmware.

But why do I like it, despite all that? Because for the most part, it has done what I need - allowing me to set fitness goals and track progress on both a per-workout basis and on an overall weekly or monthly basis. The GPS is quick to lock on, the battery goes the distance, it is waterproof, tough, and the rocker switch control is far better than touch in sweaty or wet conditions.

It could be so much better, and that most of the problems are simple (at least a great many other developers have solved them) and obvious, only makes it all the more frustrating.

In a way, though I feel mean saying so, I feel like TomTom's sports watches line deserves to end. Not because they're awful, or useless. Far from it! But because they and especially their potential has been squandered and even (as with the recent firmware) abused by TomTom. TomTom, IMO, has only themselves to blame for their failure.

It's just all such a crying shame... :-(
  • jjjohannnjjjohannn Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Why don't they put the discontinued facts on their website???????? I just use TomTom products and just bought 2 x Runner3's for me and my daughter. I like TomTom products, but their attitude sucks. I now heard that TomTom sport watches are discontinued, but do you think I can get a reply, or somebody from TomTom that want to reply on this??? No ways. I also have a TomTom GPS that cannot update anymore???? Why don't you tell this to people before they buy??? What is the use of buying a product that can last 10 years but is useless after 5 years??? Because of this, I just convince a group of people in my Parkrun group to rather buy another brand. TomTom = Arrogance
  • WizardlingWizardling Posts: 35 [Master Traveler]
    Despite initially liking TomTom Sports products, even if they lack two-way Apple Health Integration and other key features, I would never be a customer of theirs again after the fiasco of the broken syncing in the fitness watch's firmware never being fully sorted, and the disgraceful continued sales of products that lack adequate support and development, and will clearly never have that given the discontinuation of the entire division months ago.
  • ceaukeceauke Posts: 2 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Does anyone know if there's a risk with TT switching off servers? Do I need some server of theirs to use the runner app on the PC? Do I need the server to sync guickgps from my phone to my watch? Will I at some stage lose all my history?
    Superusers
    ceauke wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there's a risk with TT switching off servers? Do I need some server of theirs to use the runner app on the PC? Do I need the server to sync guickgps from my phone to my watch? Will I at some stage lose all my history?

At some point they may switch off the servers but I imagine that is a ways in the future and they will give advanced notice. You can download all of your activities as a bulk file in MySports to have a backup.