CALORIES COUNT FOR WALKING SEEMS WRONG..FOR TOMTOM SPARK 3 (MUSIC)

dpc
dpc Registered Users Posts: 2
New Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
IT SEEMS CALORIES COUNT WALKING IS WRONG ..JUST FOR 515 STEPS COUNT ITS SHOWING 236 kcal WHILE BY OTHER BAND ITS JUST 15-16 kcal .HOWEVER FOR RUNNING(GPS) ITS OK,FOR 3.07 KM(3360 STEPS) ITS SHOWING 307 kcal. HOW TO CORRECT IT

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    Calories burned will depend on the activity mode used. In running, cycling and swimming modes the watch is not using your HR to calculate caloric burn; it is using MET tables, which are tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They did it this way to enable users who are not using a HR monitor to get a caloric estimate (otherwise they would get a zero reading). Since MET tables are based on pace and distance, walking while in running mode will not produce accurate results, since you are well below the pace expected for running. If you use freestyle mode you will get calories based on HR which will likely be more accurate. I find the accuracy of calories in this mode is fine for me (not nearly as good as an HR based calculation but generally in the ballpark) but it all depends where you fall in the averages used to create the MET values, there will always be outliers for whom they are not as accurate.

I also think you may be looking at the wrong place. The calories burned for 24/7 activities (by pressing left) are for all day activity, from midnight onward, not just for the sports mode activity. You would not get steps in a sports mode so I assume you are looking at the activity tracker, which is taking into account more than just the walking, it is looking at your BMR.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.