What constitutes a set in TRAINING --> INTERVALS? — TomTom Community

What constitutes a set in TRAINING --> INTERVALS?

mikereid_878mikereid_878 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in TomTom Adventurer
I just tried my first swim with my adventurer.
6 sets of 10 x 25m lengths,
It worked well for first 4 sets but then buzzed out midway through the 4th with "---- remaining" in the display.
I intended to set it for 6 sets,
Warm up = 0 mins
1. Work = 10 lengths
2. Rest = 1:30 secs
COOLDOWN = 3 minutes
No. Sets = 6

It stopped after 4.

Hope someone can tell me what i did wrong.

Mike

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,816
    Superusers
    It is likely miscounting you lengths, which will totally throw off the intervals. Length counting is very hit or miss on the watch and is common with most swim watches to some extent. It is using an accelerometer to try and figure out when you are reaching for the wall to turn, but you need a very strong turn to trigger it. It also counts after the first turn, so the total is the laps completed so it will always be one short until the end. You need to be consistent in your stroke (freestyle works best), do not pause or slow at all mid-lap, among other things. It counts strokes in the same way it counts laps, by the accelerometer, so any variation in stroke may cause it to miss a stroke. Just like with lap counting, it is meant to give a rough estimate, it will never give you a perfect count, the technology just isn't there yet. If you search for swim accuracy or swimming laps and similar phrases on the forums you will see plenty of posts on it with a lot of suggestions to improve it (more than I can repeat here). Here are the key points:

- Consistent style and pace per length gives the best measurement results:
    - Stick to the same stroke type per length.
    - A dramatic change in pace part way through a length may cause errors.
    - A strong push off the wall helps.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • mikereid_878mikereid_878 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thanks, but the length Count was spot on. So still open to other hints or tips.