Totally disappointed by TomTom Runner 3

Eola
Eola Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
What's the use of all that clever marketing when the product that is advertised is not even working?

A few weeks ago I bought this nice looking TomTom Runner 3 (not the cardio + music but just the more basic model) with the hopes of replacing the old Garmin that I had grown tired of using. What a mistake I made by purchasing a TomTom product! True, the watch works, but ONLY when I'm running, ie: all the basic functions run smooth and the whole thing works like a charm, giving me the basic info about the run, time, compass, totals etc.

However, when I'm at home, back after my session, there's NO WAY I can upload the session to the app on my android. It worked only the first few times, but now the watch simply doesn't want to do that again, or so it seems. I've tried every single thing, even restarting the phone, and the only thing remaining is to just do the more sensible, which is to get a hammer and smash the bloody thing to pieces. Will go back to Garmin, of course, as it seems to be the only company that does a good job in the running watches field.

But I'd be unfair if I said that ALL is wrong with that damn watch. The design rocks. Maybe TomTom should change their business direction and make just ordinary watches? It's just an idea.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Actually they already did change their business direction and left the wearables market last month and are not longer producing any new devices. I am surprised you bought one at all considering you bought what is essentially a retired legacy product.

As to the upload issues, If you search the forums you will find this is a known issue for some users with the new update. They are reportedly working on a fix, but no timeline has been communicated. In the meanwhile you always have the option of syncing via computer. If you go to this post and ask the monitor to roll back your firmware version it should fix it, although you will lose the Fitness Points and Fit age features:

https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/not-able-to-install-runner-3-firmware-v-1-7-53-1028204/index10.html#post1194142

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.