New Forum Features coming up!

lampardlampard Posts: 3,964 TomTom Moderator
edited January 27 in News and announcements
Hi all,

We'll soon get an update on the forum software bringing some new - and not so new - features. The biggest changes are going to be in the design, which is also "responsive", meaning that we'll no longer have a separate mobile and desktop versions but the same version will scale to whatever device you're using to visit the forum. You can visit the same site on all devices and it'll recognise the screen size and scale the page to fit.

The plan is now to have a public launch on 21st November. Here are the few highlights of the new features:

@ MENTIONS:
This is a much-awaited feature for a long time. For those of you not familiar it works as follows: By adding the "@" sign in front of a username you can send an email notification to the user notifying him/her that (s)he has been mentioned on the forum. It will look like this:
0ea3f269-9765-4de2-a6fb-ab5ae60f4d2c.png

EMOTICONS:
There have been requests for more emoticons and there'll be over 1000 of them. These are already available in the current mobile version.
b5f4294a-c799-4edf-9165-2c0ee1fd2c93.png

SEE WHO GAVE KUDOS:
You'll be able to see who gave Kudos for specific posts.
3dbe8198-a976-413d-8fa4-37337c8e9a37.png

ABOUT/USER INFORMATION:
When reading a topic you want to get some context about the user who started the topic or the users who replied to it, you can hover the mouse pointer over an avatar in a topic to get more information about the user. This card is also enabled when hovering an @mention or the recently online user section on the homepage.
aa7fb678-34f6-49a0-b4bc-05a3c9dccbc4.jpg

If you have any ideas or suggestions, please let us know in the comments below. Stay tuned for more updates! :)

Cheers,
lampard
Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

Comments

• IGIIGI Posts: 140 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Wow! Great! Long awaited refresh. It also promises some attitude shift.

Keep up the good work!
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,521 Superuser
    @lampard

What time UTC are you proposing to close the forum while the software is changed.
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • lampardlampard Posts: 3,964 TomTom Moderator
    Help others find useful content by clicking the like button and selecting the best answer to your question! You can check out our Knowledge Base and find the best comments on the Community here.
    Most important of all, have fun and be kind to one another!

• John-JayJohn-Jay Posts: 599 [Exalted Navigator]
    If this is it, my first reaction is:- "Yuk"!!

Edit:-

One of the reasons for immediately posting that is to check whether I was STILL logged in (or simply a "Guest"), as I can't instantly see anywhere that shows that I'm logged in!!

2nd Edit:-

Perhaps an update on "How to use this Forum" would be sensible!

Regards,

John-Jay

• dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    How can you mark all messages read in all forums with one click as you could prior to the changeover?

How can you get back to the main menu structure in one click as you could prior to the changeover? For example, if I make a response in a thread somewhere, it seems I have to continually hit the back arrow now to get to the menu structure. Am I missing something?
    Just to add to @dhn comments!

Before, when I read a question/reply, the User Information (Country/location and/or device) was located immediately adjacent to the User's name - now I have to click on the User's name to get this information!!

Edit:-

Before, when I looked at a topic in a sub-forum, I could click on the initial post or the latest post - don't seem to be able to do that any more (it just goes to the start of the Topic)!

Regards,

John-Jay

@dhn

To get back to the main menu click on the 'Menu' button top left and select 'Forum overview'
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • LornaTTLornaTT Posts: 772 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    @dhn (sorry - you'll be spammed with @ mention emails now :wink: )

You need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the board and you should have a link there to mark as read.
    @Niall - in your "Sig" you have:- "If I answered your question, click 'Mark as Solution'". I probably missing something, but I can no longer obviously see the "Mark as a Solution" button!

@lampard - in your "Sig" you have:- "Try the 'Kudos' button if you find something helpful! ". I probably missing something, but I can no longer obviously see the 'Kudos' button!

Regards,

John-Jay

@John-Jay

You only see ' :heavy_check_mark: Mark as solution' if you you are the author of an actual question (rather than a statement)

Also 'Kudos' has been replaced by 'Like'

• mrpj3mrpj3 Posts: 120 [Master Explorer]
    Why do I only see a 120mm strip of text slightly off centre of my 17" laptop screen? It looks awful and only occupies about a third of my screen width with big empty grey spaces either side.
    I thought it was meant to "scale" to the device being used?
    mrpj3 wrote:
    Why do I only see a 120mm strip of text slightly off centre of my 17" laptop screen? It looks awful and only occupies about a third of my screen width with big empty grey spaces either side.
    I thought it was meant to "scale" to the device being used?
    It is similar on my 24" Desktop Screen!

Regards,

John-Jay

Niall wrote:
    @John-Jay

You only see ' :heavy_check_mark: Mark as solution' if you you are the author of an actual question (rather than a statement)
    @Niall - have just gone back to a post that I initiated - still cannot see a "Mark as solution" option!!

Regards,

John-Jay

@John-Jay

The only topic that you started that is a question is https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/map-quality-strange-map-error-989414 all the rest are statements

@Niall I would suggest that https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/wrong-lane-guidance-on-the-go-5100-1021125 was also a question!!

i.e. Therefore, why does the GO5100 specifically indicate that I need to get into the "nearside" (left-hand) lane?

Albeit, I needed to put a bit of pre-explanation in, before I asked the actual question!!

Edited!

Regards,

John-Jay

John-Jay wrote:
    I would suggest that https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/map-quality-75/wrong-lane-guidance-on-the-go-5100-1021125 was also a question!!

i.e. Therefore, why does the GO5100 specifically indicate that I need to get into the "nearside" (left-hand) lane?

Albeit, I needed to put a bit of pre-explanation in, before I asked the actual question!!

But when you started that topic you must have un-ticked the 'Question' box so now it is treated as a conversation ;( and can not be answered :(

Niall wrote:
    But when you started that topic you must have un-ticked the 'Question' box so now it is treated as a conversation ;( and can not be answered :(

Hi, Niall, thanks for your response!!

However, I really cannot recall ever being asked to tick/untick any "Question" box!!

Never mind, let's leave that specific issue now!! ;)

Regards,

John-Jay

"@ MENTIONS:"

Under the old Forum, after a User contributed to a thread, he always got email notifications of any further submissions.

Equally, under this new Forum, the same thing happens!!

However, I note, that using the "@ MENTIONS:" also creates an email notification.

In other words, the User now gets TWO notifications!!

Hence, as far as I can tell, the "@ MENTIONS:" is ONLY useful if you want to include somebody who has NOT already contributed, presumably on the basis of:-

""@ Joe-Bloggs" mentioned, in another thread, blah, blah"!

;)

Regards,

John-Jay

@lampard @Lorna

Email notifications generated after the change over are not pointing to the correct entry in the thread, only to the first one in a topic :(

• miketorcymiketorcy Posts: 3,050 Superusers
    Hi all! How can i easily and quickly havec acces to the english forum when i am on the french forum and vice versa?
    GO6200
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,152 Superusers
    lorna wrote:
    @dhn (sorry - you'll be spammed with @ mention emails now :wink: )

You need to scroll all the way to the bottom of the board and you should have a link there to mark as read.

Sorry Lorna but I don't see a link whatsoever that you refer to. Scrolled to bottom of Overview screen and don't see it. Using Chrome here.
  • LornaTTLornaTT Posts: 772 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    dhn wrote:
    lorna wrote:

Sorry Lorna but I don't see a link whatsoever that you refer to. Scrolled to bottom of Overview screen and don't see it. Using Chrome here.

You need to do it by board - the Overview is the home page for all boards. If you use the board links on the overview page or use the links in the menu (top left) you can go into each board. All the way at the bottom you have the link.

So on a page like: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/news-and-announcements-37 you should have the Mark forum as read at the bottom by the pagination.2c53d1d4-08cc-4e22-aaf9-85531cb907bd.png
    @miketorcy

Till Tom2 fix it you will have to create two bookmarks :tired_face:
    one to https://fr.discussions.tomtom.com/
    the other to https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/

@lampard @Lorna

How do you distinguish between a topic that you have read and one that you have yet to read if there has been no responses yet i.e. no 0 new ??

• VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,499 TomTom Moderator
    John-Jay wrote:
    "@ MENTIONS:"

Under the old Forum, after a User contributed to a thread, he always got email notifications of any further submissions.

Equally, under this new Forum, the same thing happens!!

However, I note, that using the "@ MENTIONS:" also creates an email notification.

In other words, the User now gets TWO notifications!!

Hence, as far as I can tell, the "@ MENTIONS:" is ONLY useful if you want to include somebody who has NOT already contributed, presumably on the basis of:-

""@ Joe-Bloggs" mentioned, in another thread, blah, blah"!

;)

Hi John

For the mentions(@), you will get an e-mail notification, but our user can control or avoid topic-specific email notifications, see the How to here

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.