Cycle - only one option — TomTom Community

Cycle - only one option

HotremoHotremo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Why is "Cycle" not divided into more options? I could use both Race and MTB, as both length and speed are very different. As it is now (at least on my watch) the results are mixed to useless averages.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,319
    Superusers
    There is only one cycle mode because the data required to calculate energy expenditure is only readily available for that mode. Calorie calculations use METs tables which are scientifically calculated tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They are only available for a limited number of sports and are only valid within that sport due to the reliance on pace (your pace in road and MTB cycling will be very different even at the same intensity). There are no METs figures for MTB so there would be no way to calculate energy expenditure, unless you used HR for it, but not everyone has HR enabled watches or uses a strap. To those that do not they would get a result of 0. I would not expect this to change as the data has not changed and since TT has left the wearables market and is no longer producing new devices they have little incentive to expand this. It is what it is and we are going to have to live with it or get a different brand. You can use Freestyle for your MTB which will break it out into a separate category and not muddy your averages.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • HotremoHotremo Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for clarifying. I will use Freestyle for my MTB in the future.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0