GO 6200 Wi-Fi goes to demo mode

Terry078
Terry078 Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have just purchased a tomtom go 6200 wi-fi and found that it goes into a demo video after about 2 minutes and stays on demo, to get back to map you need to tap the screen but 2 minutes later you are back in demo. Contacted support and was advised to perform a recovery operation for which I was sent a video link. Did not make any difference at all, still goes into demo. Contacted support on the same ticket reference and second line support removed the demo from my device. I did not have to do anything except ensure my tomtom was connected to my wi-fi. Does not take a lot of thinking about does it?

Comments

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,804
    Superuser
    Hi
    The Demo mode is usually disabled by driving....
    With a GPS fix at over 40 Km/h for at least 10 seconds.

ATB YFM
  • Terry078
    Terry078 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi
    As a delivery driver I reckon I met those requirements but it still kept going to demo.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    Contact Support... As in the first post in this thread
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB TFM
  • Arvi
    Arvi Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi,

I got my Go 6200 Wifi by mail order two days ago, on 29-March-2019.
    And I have the same: when driving, it goes to demo mode after approximately 120 seconds, showing that woman drinking coffee.

It is a brand-new device which even got software update when I connected it to Wifi first time on Friday. I will not accept talking to support in this kind of case. If there is no simple way to fix it, I will return the device. Because it was mail order, local law allows free-of-charge return at least for two weeks.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @Arvi

Have you set a Home Location...
    I use a nearby location not my actual location, if the device gets stolen, you wouldn't want to guide a thief to your front door

ATB YFM
  • Arvi
    Apprentice Seeker
    Yes, I have set the Home Location. The actual one.

Now I have noticed one thing: if I unplug the charger cable, then the device does not start the "Coffee drinking woman" shop demo.

But of course it is a bit inconvenient solution :-)
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    HI
    @arvid

Note.. A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and sometimes display the Connected to your Computer splash screen

Are you using the dashboard USB port in your vehicle ???
    Maybe... it is also Triggering the "Coffee drinking woman" shop demo.

The Previous NAV4 and Latest (NAV5 WiFi) devices are quite power hungry and can go into "Power saving mode" if not supplied with enough power

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and sometimes display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    (2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)
    (3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services

As a test...
    Try using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter

The Charger Adaptor and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom WILL run and charge the device at the same time

Many 3rd party Mismatched Charger Adaptors won't run and charge the device at the same time
    See... It's not simply a power thing.....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

ATB YFM

• Arvi
    Apprentice Seeker
    i use the car charger and USB cable provided by TomTom.
  • Arvi
    Apprentice Seeker
    PS. And the device is Go 6200 with built-in SIM card and lifetime updates for world maps and speed cameras.
  • Arvi
    Apprentice Seeker
    6200 Wifi, to be precise.
  • Arvi
    Apprentice Seeker
    She's gone! I have no idea why, but today when driving for lunch the "Coffee drinking woman" shop demo was still there, however, when I drove back to work she had disappeared. Without leaving any notice :-)

I did not do anything except just simply parking my car.

I unboxed the product roughly 60 hours ago, entered the basic details (like home address) and connected it to my account

I used it first time in my car roughly 45 hours ago, driving long enough and fast enough.

Thus, no idea of the logic behind the "commercial", but there could be the possibility that it is somehow related to the above mentioned times. Still, I consider it completely ridiculous that such behavior is not properly documented anywhere.

I can just say that it gives a very bad first-use impression - never again a TomTom!