TomTom Runner 3 and Spark 3 - open water swimming

Claudio Araujo
Claudio Araujo Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I'm frustrated, I bought my tomtom spark 3 and the product box and website did not report at any point that it could not be used for open water swimming.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    Some basic research would have told you this ahead of time unfortunately. They have never supported open water swimming (most watches do not) and will not be introducing it in the future. The watch does not support open water swimming using GPS, it is for pools only. Supporting open water swimming is much more complicated than pool swimming (which involves counting strokes and figuring out the stroke length). GPS cannot be detected underwater so it would need to time the GPS signal attainment with the split second the watch is above water on each stroke (assuming you are doing a stroke that brings your arms out of the water). This is a very difficult thing to compensate for and it has been a mixed bag on all devices, none of them do it perfectly well and many have not even tried, like TT (and Garmin on their more recent devices). What most users who want open water swimming do is to use freestyle mode and put the watch in their cap or on a safety buoy behind them so it stays out of the water. You will then get distance but will lose swim specific metrics, however.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Katygb89
    Katygb89 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Traveler
    I use mine for open water swimming, however I set the activity as a walk or run to get the gps and route and works well for me.
  • Claudio Araujo
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thanks for the feedback, but I do not agree to having to search the internet for the product while the site should present all the information clearly.
    Swimming training in open water in Copacabama - Rio de Janeiro and most athletes are using the Garmin 920xt to record the swimming training and the clock accurately records the training sessions and synchronize with other applications the training without needing to edit.
    When TomTom demonstrates your watch as multi sport it is a very big failure to not have support for swimming in open water.
    Who practices triathlon was without support with Tom Tom's watches.
  • Claudio Araujo
    Apprentice Traveler
    When you are swimming, can you get the route and distance from the workout while swimming? Which way do you use to record the activity? Swimming or Freestyle?

Training as follows -> Cycling -> Hiking -> Swimming.

Mod edit: Post translated to English. Please avoid posting in a different language other than English. Thank you
  • Claudio Araujo
    Apprentice Traveler
    The Spark 3 Cardio + music is fantastic, I have nothing to complain about, but I felt really frustrated about swimming in open water. It is time for Tom Tom to move and implement this mode in the next updates. Other brands already have this mode ... Or tomtom corrects the information on the site stating that this mode is not supported.
    We need clarity in the information.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    The Spark 3 Cardio + music is fantastic, I have nothing to complain about, but I felt really frustrated about swimming in open water. It is time for Tom Tom to move and implement this mode in the next updates. Other brands already have this mode ... Or tomtom corrects the information on the site stating that this mode is not supported.
    We need clarity in the information.

You picked the one example of a watch that does open water but I can point out many more that don't (Garmin Vivoactive3, Polar M430, etc.). TT is a bargain unit and does not have the feature set of the 920xt and has never been advertised as a triathlon watch. It is a multi-sport, meaning it does multiple sports, not a triathlon watch. As to not doing research, that is up to you, but you leave yourself open to disappointment. Even a quick look at dcrainmaker.com would have told you it was not fit for your purpose. If you wanted this kind of function you would need on invest a bit more in it (remember "buy cheap, buy twice").

Since swimming is the least used function on the watch and has never been updated it certainly won't be now that TT is leaving the wearables market and no longer selling sports watches. At this point all we are likely to see are bug fixes and even those will end after a while as they are now legacy devices. The watch is what it is and we are going to have to live with it.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Claudio Araujo
    Apprentice Traveler
    Feedback is always welcome, even if it is not what we would like to hear. Thank you very much for the opinions.
  • Clarabelle
    Clarabelle Registered Users Posts: 2
    New Seeker
    Hi, many thanks for all the above, it answers my question perfectly. I only do open water swimming and Spark 3 was marketed that it would work but to certain meterage. Bit disappointed but Garmin Swim seems to be the way to go, although your comments are from 2017 the are very welcome and great opinions shared. C.