Why the Fitness Age and VO2Max are calculated only for Run activities? — TomTom Community

Why the Fitness Age and VO2Max are calculated only for Run activities?

quirisquiris Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
I have a Spark 3 watch since May. During this period I run only twice, because I have problem with my knee. I daily performs at least one of other activities such as: cycle, indoor cycle, gym, freestyle (walking). Total 354 activities, over 343 hours active time, near 2000 km distance etc. And all I can see is that the TomTom Sports calculates my Fitness age and VO2Max only for that 2 run activities (the first one in May and the second one in August).

My fitness advisor says: Remember, Fitness Age is more accurate if you run occasionally. Go for a short 10 minute indoor or outdoor run once a month.

It means that the Fitness Age should be calculated from the other activities, but currently it isn't calculated completely. Is it a correct behavior?

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,676
    Superusers
    It is only calculated from runs and cycling because it used VO2Max to get the fitness age and those are only available in those modes as that is where VO2Max data is available. There are no VO2Max charts for random gym exercises so they cannot use that mode. If you want Fitness Age and Fitness Points you need to either run or cycle, unfortunately.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • quirisquiris Posts: 7 [Master Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    It is only calculated from runs and cycling.
    But the problem is, as I wrote above, that I do a lot of cycling and indoor cycling activities. For example In October and November I've done 13 cycling activities, 10 hours total time and near 200 km cycled and I cannot see any differences in my Fitness Age and VO2Max (check above attached screenshots). The charts are completely flat. The chart starts exactly in the day I run for the first time and changed a little bit (only VO2Max chart) in the day I run for the second time.

So if you claim that the cycling activities should affect VO2Max and Fitness Age charts I suspect a bug existence in an calculation of these statistics.
    Superusers
    Or your cycling activities are not of a high enough intensity to cause the VO2Max to change. You must be in at least Zone 3 for an extended period of time for it to make any difference. Sub-maximal efforts will have little to no impact.
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Or your cycling activities are not of a high enough intensity to cause the VO2Max to change.
    It's definitely not the case. Check attached screenshots from a couple of my cycle activities.
    Superusers
    At this point I would suggest calling Customer Support to see what they can do. They are able to more deeply investigate and diagnose problems than we can here on the user forum. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    I think that I found the answer...

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/html/en-gb/index.htm#MoreaboutFitnessAge.htm says:
    We calculate your Fitness Age from your VO2max and other factors so you can see how you perform against others in your age and gender group. The lowest Fitness Age we show is 20 years.

So how is VO2max calculated?

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/html/en-gb/index.htm#HowismyVO2maxcalculated_.htm says:

VO2max is calculated when you do a running activity like running, trail running, or treadmill, and have a relatively steady heart rate measurement for more than 15 minutes.

So to sum up... No run, no joy :(

So TomTom Fitness Advisor statement is completely false: Remember, Fitness Age is more accurate if you run occasionally. Go for a short 10 minute indoor or outdoor run once a month.
    Superusers
    That would explain it. I thought they were using cycling but it is just running. It is essentially a running watch with other sports modes tacked on, unfortunately and this reflects that.
    I have to refresh this thread, because I found in the TomTom Fitness Age - User Manual such quote http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/html/en-gb/index.htm#HowismyVO2maxcalculated_.htm :

Note: If you never use your watch for running, but use it for 24/7 activity tracking and other types of activities such as cycling, gym, or other indoor activities, VO2max is estimated based on your general activity level and will be less accurate.

The note ensures me that current behavior of MySports website app and iOS Sports App not estimating my activity level are simply buggy. So I have to rise a bug report.