Serena's Voice will Not Remain Loaded — TomTom Community

Serena's Voice will Not Remain Loaded

I'm not optimistic that a fix can be found for this question.
Does anyone feel able to rise to the challenge ?
I have a Tom Tom GO 60 which worked perfectly well until a few months ago.
I use 'Tom Tom My Drive' loaded on my Apple Mac Desk Top Computer.
I have the latest My Drive software installed. (Unloaded and Reloaded just to make sure.)
Thus I have the latest Updates correctly loaded onto my Tom Tom (17.300.0018.311 (0) (12/10/2017.)
The only English Speaking Voice which will work is "Serena".
All other English Speaking Voices, although showing as being 'loaded' all show as being 'unsupported' on the Device when in use.
So "Serena" does work fine in use in the Car and if the Tom Tom goes into "Sleep" mode it will still work upon reactivation.
BUT, if the Tom Tom turns fully OFF, then Serena's Voice is lost on the restarting and the Tom Tom device shows as 'No Voices Installed'.
So no Voice Navigation its available.
Most frustrating !!
Back in the house and re connected to 'My Drive' the Device Content on the Desktop shows as Serena still being installed, even though it isn't.
The only way to get Serena back onto the Device is to uninstall her in 'My Drive' and then reinstall her again.
Then it works again, BUT only until the next time Tom Tom has to make a restart after say, a flat battery.
This often happens when out on a journey, so is not fixable in the Car which is also frustrating.
No idea why this is happening and no idea why no other English Speaking Voice seems to be supported.
I have restored the Tom Tom to "Factory Settings" and wiped all my data and reloaded again from 'My Drive' but it doesn't make any difference.
Anyone got any clues or suggestions as to what to do next ?
I'd be most grateful !!
Thanks.
Antony

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,163 Superusers
    Seek support assistance:

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • Antony in DorsetAntony in Dorset Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank You.
    Seems it may not be an easy fix in that case and only Tom Tom Tech Support can help ?

Thanks for the UK phone number.
    A premium cost help line ?
    Or normal charge would you think ?
    Regards
    Antony.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 15,062 Superusers
    Hi
    Try... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) -> Setting -> System -> About... Scroll down to Free Space
    Check Free Space... 400MB is considered the minimum Free Space

Edit... I just remembered Mikko posting something about this problem ???
    As dhn says... Ring Tomtom Support
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

ATB YFM
  • EES1EES1 Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    Hello, I have exactly the same problem described by Antony in Dorset. After trying to reset the device (Start 50) and syncronize voices again by means of MyDrive Connect, the problem appears again everytime I have to power it on, generally when battery goes down. Once in contact with TomTom technical support in Spain, they admit not having the solution after one month, so the only way to solve this after the warranty period is to check here periodically, waiting for the solution. As they told me there are many, many customers suffering the same problem. My conclusion: good hardware, bad sofware.
  • joewhtjoewht Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    October 26th, 2018. United States. I just got my TomTom GO 620 three days ago. I changed the voice to a British Male which spoke perfect a few hours. I turned my truck off. Few hours later I got back into my truck to go home and the voice had RESET.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,163 Superusers
    Reset to what?
  • joewhtjoewht Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hahaha Hahaha Bless You. You have not had your coffee yet. RESET.. Start Over.. Go Back To The Original. Oh Oh.. I have a better word. It Went Back To It's DEFAULT!
  • StanStan100StanStan100 Posts: 5 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My device also looses Serena if it ever suffers a shut down due to a flat battery.

On the move the only way I've discovered to get her back is this. With the device connected to the car's 12v outlet and powered up, navigate to Menu, "Settings", "System", "Reset device". My device then warns "A reset deletes all your saved places and settings and restores the standard factory settings to your TomTom device. After a reset log in to your TomTom account to automatically restore your My Places locations and POI's from MyDrive". Press the Reset option.

It does not take too long to reset and for full functionality you can log-in to MyDrive from your device. Press "Menu", "TomTom Services", "MyDrive".

Why TomTom have failed to correct this known fault is beyond me, there is clearly a software conflict or hardware problem that is impacting on saved voices.
    My Start 50 has been suffering this problem for 18 months. I cannot assure it’s going to work for a long day driving even being always connected to the 12v output in the car, because sometimes it resets itself without a reason. In that case I substitute it by the smartphone with Sygic, that never fails. I have to carry a laptop, usb connect the start50, connect the laptop to WiFi and MyDrive Connect and try to replace the voice that is installed but fails. When it fails, no other voice works, so in summary I‘d have to buy another navigator if I want to solve the problem. Probably no Tomtom again
  • GrumpyEricGrumpyEric Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    I have had the exactly the same problem as Antony for several months: I have to connect to MyDrive, delete all voices and reinstall them. Everything works fine then UNTIL I switch the device off, When I next switch it on I cannot get any of the installed voices to work, so I have to go through the whole uninstall/reinstall process all over again.

Please TmTom, read your customers' comments, problems and complaints, respond to them and fix yet another problem with these devices! Please?
  • gornna_un43gornna_un43 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Looks like Tom Tom doesn’t care!!!!
    Who can afford today to buy a device that once it fails outside the warranty period it is best to throw it away because the brand does not maintain it at all, even knowing that it is a failure of its software and it is allowed to launch several releases a year but no one solve it? Definitely TomTom is not a serious brand if it is capable of leaving hundreds or thousands of its customers dumped around the world.
  • dmulvdmulv Posts: 626 Superuser
    Adding my name to the list for a friend's device (Start 50). Serena can be added in MyDrive, works fine, disconnect from computer, still works. But as soon as the device is restarted, Serena disappears.