Buying Maps for GO720 — TomTom Community

Buying Maps for GO720

newbie630newbie630 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
edited January 15 in Map purchasing
I want to update my GO720 by buying the latest version of the Western Europe maps. After backing up the device I removed the existing maps to ensure sufficient space on the 4GB memory card for the new maps. I used the Map Purchase on TomTom HOME, paid by card, but have not received either an activation code or other advice as to how to download the new maps. Thinking I made a mistake during purchase I repeated the process with the same negative result. I've looked at MyDrive, but cannot find the GO720 listed. Help please.

Comments

• BintangBintang Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same problem here with my go 740 live.paid by card but have not received download information. Update my device but no
    new maps. Have my pay account blocked have a bad feeling about this.
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,171 Superusers
    Check your devices are not End of Life. See here:
    https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22600#list

Support when open:
    Nederland (Holland)
    020 850 1007
    Maandag t/m vrijdag van 9.00 tot 17:30

United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

The 720 uses Home, not MyDriveConnect.

When connecting to Home with either the 720 or 740, update my device, a new map should be offered there.
  • newbie630newbie630 Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks for that information. Neither the Go 720 nor the 740 is listed as past End of Life. I use TomTom HOME, and it does update my operating system and the QuickGPS but only offers a annual subscription for 4 quarterly map updates. I don't want these just the current Western Europe which I've tried to buy through Map Purchase, with the negative result that gave rise to this thread. When I check the map version number of my existing installed map with the version offered on the Purchase Maps on HOME it is clear my installed maps have been superseded a long while. I guess I'll be 'phoning the UK Support number on Monday.
    Phoned UK Support services. Voice message said TomTom HOME support only through the web site. It seems it is not possible to speak to a person. If the device is more than 5 years old (which it is but is very reliable so why change?) then no updates provided. If so, then why does HOME allow a user to buy a map going all the way through the online purchase process and then provide no new maps to download? Why not just say " Device too old - no new maps available". I've now got to check my credit card statement to check whether TomTom did take my money. Not impressed. :(
    Call again but, this time, do not respond with a model name when prompted. A live agent will then get on the line.
    :(
    dhn wrote:
    Call again but, this time, do not respond with a model name when prompted. A live agent will then get on the line.

I did as suggested and TomTom will reimburse me for the duplicate purchases - so good. Also spoke with a tech chap who was helpful but after trying various things the 720 is not working at all. On start up it just cycles around the initial screen asks me to set the preferences as if it was new operating system and then tells me no maps found. Connected to HOME, Manage My GO tells me I have maps installed. The tech chap said reload the maps, which I did from the Item on the Computer, but the problem persists. I assume that the maps are somehow corrupted. I do have a copy of the original maps which worked well (but were 8 years old which was why I was trying to update them) but the file is in the Remove Items from the Computer part of Manage my GO and I can't see how to get them back onto the device. Any ideas? So a fully functioning but out of date Sat Nav has been reduced to junk. I should never have tried to update the maps in the first place. Sure, some roads will have changed but better that than the situation TomTom have left me in.
    You can use Window's File Manager to copy files to the computer and retrieve them if necessary.
    dhn wrote:
    You can use Window's File Manager to copy files to the computer and retrieve them if necessary.

I think I have tried doing this (I'm not sure what you mean by "retrieve"). I have deleted the new Maps from the device that seems to have been the root of all the problems and then copied back what I believe to be the old set of maps, that worked fine before I tried the update, using the Windows File Manager. But this didn't work. I don't know what file the device operating system is looking for when it starts up - at the moment I just get "no maps found" even though "manage my GO" in HOME shows the set of old maps present on the device. I don't know whether there is a executable file which kick the whole thing off which I am missing. Your help is appreciated.
    Try the reset hole on the bottom of the device. Then perhaps, on the device, manage maps-->switch map.