GO 500 froze then dies — TomTom Community

GO 500 froze then dies

Go 500 happily functioning then it froze with nothing on the screen apart from a spinning circle.
No recovery methods seemed to work (disconnect from power, hold down power switch for >20 seconds) and the circle continued to spin. Left it until (presumably) the battery went flat. Reconnected the power and it got part way through a drumroll restart and then....nothing - screen blank and no response to anything.

I tried a reset holding the power button down for 90 seconds and nothing....

What next?

(Initially in the wrong subforum, restated here)

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    Do you have a memory card inside?
  • simon0362simon0362 Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    yes but it wasn't being used. First thing I did was remove the card and then went through the tests.

Spoke to a very pleasant lady in CC this morning who took me through what is clearly a frequent set of events.Confirmed that it is of no further use and that I could book a repair at 70-80GBP - which I declined. I was then given an offer of 25% off a new purchase - but since this one has struggled to last just over 3 years with a strong feeling that I was an unpaid part of TT beta test, I am not sure whether I wish to buy again.
    Its now in bits in front of me in the hope that there was an onboard reset or that the battery would turn out to be completely discharged (there isn't and it wasn't and a full off-unit recharge hasn't done anything either).

So voilà, its a nicely made piece of kit but total junk now - and I hate the update procedures and a feeling that I am being taken quietly for a ride.
    If anyone would care to suggest how to do a really hard reset on the board or has any suggestions costing rather less than 80GBP, I would be really grateful.
  • ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    There is no other reset procedure. I suppose you tried the below recovery:

http://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1898

Maybe the flash chip died on the PCB :( But also battery fault can cause similar issues too. How long the battery held charge before this happened (without the charger being connected)? Worst case scenario, sell it on eBay for parts (mostly the screen) and can have some of the money back.