Renault R-Link update failures — TomTom Community

Renault R-Link update failures

CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
edited January 31 in Built in car navigation
I know TomTom don't support this built in device, but I'd like to know if anybody else is having the same trouble as me.

On 28th September I paid for 1 year extension to Live Services, £65 and for the latest UK&ROI map v990, £45. When I went to install the map, the R-Link Toolbox software got there eventually as usual, but ended by saying there has been an error, please contact support services. So I did and they had me try different things and eventually they decided there was some sort of fault. The real problem (apart from having paid £110 for what hasn't been working for nearly a month now) is that the update wiped my existing map off the device so I'm driving round without map guidance or traffic information. They can give me no indication of how long it will be for their technicians to fix it.

The support guy says nobody else has got the problem, and the techs need to deal with my account, but I think it's down to some failure of the Toolbox software and they are being economic with information about whether it is affecting anybody else.

So, is anybody experiencing failure of map updates on Renault R-Link please?
Where there's a will, there's a wake.

Comments

• Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,919 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi Carminat,

Renault RLink by TomTom ... never ending Story ...
    I have paid for a one-year Map-Subscription for Europe Map . Now four Maps with different size are shown in my Account. But I have no clue, which one is the v990 ...
    There is only shown "Europe" with the filesize. I have successively installed all four Maps (i hope so) but with every attempt it installed the Version v975 and say after this, my SD-Card is up to date ...

There isn't an indication for the Map-Version :( The RlinkToolbox is horrible ...

Subscription is finished and the Car goes back to Renault in Mai 2018, so I leave it in the current state.
    I don't have the Time to play arround with this bad programmed Toolbox and Website from Renault/TomTom.

Regards

Troubadix13
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hi Troubadix,

Have you got R-Link 2? Because with mine there is no option to buy year map subscription, only single maps as they are released. Mine is UK&ROI only and one map costs £45 - I suffered no updates for a very long time - I had map v955 (which actually has proper postcode location for CF10 4GA). My vehic le is now 4 years old, so I have seven maps on my toolbox, as you say, with no indication of which version. In theory, it is the one with the largest size and that seems to be the case with v990, but not with v985!

But my real problem is that installing a new map actually deleted the existing map and didn't install a new one. With "No Maps Found" the navigation system can't run and obviously neither can the HD Traffic.

If it's any use to you, this is one of the solutions offered to me (it didn't work, but you can try and see what it does for you).

I would like to kindly ask you to uninstall the map from the card and then reinstall it again. To see if it will correct the fault. To do so please follow the sequence listed below.

1. Access your R-Link Store account on your pc without inserting your SD card.
    2. Select "My Products" option on the left of your screen.
    3. Click on the "Manage my products" tab and select "Manage" for the SD CARD option.
    4. If the map is unticked, synchronize. If the map is ticked, untick it (if you can) and synchronize.
    5. Open the Toolbox, then clear the cache and disable the backup by going to the settings section.
    6. Insert the SD Card in your pc.
    7. Open your R-Link Toolbox and click on "Launch my downloads".
    8. Remove SD card from your pc and take it to the R-Link to update.
    9. Return to your pc and access your R-Link Store account, without inserting the SD Card.
    10. Select "My Products" option on the left of your screen.
    11. Click on the "Manage my products" tab and select "Manage" for the SD CARD option.
    12. Add the check mark for the map and synchronize.
    13. Open the Toolbox, then clear the cache.
    14. Insert the SD Card in your pc.
    15. Open your R-Link Toolbox and click on "Launch my downloads".
    16. Go back to your R-Link and insert the SD Card. Allow the system to update.

Once you have completed this procedure, please check if everything is functional again.

On this screenshot it shows the maps I have - seven of them. R-Link Helpline have sort of agreed it's unfortunate that they do not indicate which version and they'll see if anything might be done about that in the future.

4ec02370-faa6-42d4-af1d-e7dea524b307.png
    Troubadix,

Have you tried looking at R-Link Explorer?

https://www.gpspower.net/other-gps-systems/337575-tomtom-r-link-renault.html
    I got an email this morning telling me the technicians have solved the server problem and telling me to go through the sixteen steps again. I did and it didn't work. AND the new map showing as 371.9Mo above is no longer there. AND because all the stuff has to be done going back and forth to my vehicle and waiting whilst the system in there does its magic (not) with the ignition on, I eventually flattened my battery and the RAC had to fit a new one! I used to think TT Home was a pretty poor program and My Drive Connect even worse. But this R-Link stuff is abysmal.
  • Troubadix12Troubadix12 Posts: 1,919 [Revered Pioneer]
    Hello Carminat,

many thanks for your guidance. :)

You are right, that's what I mean. Carminat + TTHome + Service via TT was acceptable. But the combination Renault with their own Website with castrated and lousy MyDriveConnect-Waste + lousy Support via Renault... I have given up. I no more try anything and wasting time. If my next car is a Renault, it have the RLink-II Evolution with NNG-Navigation (iGO Primo NG). Only Traffic is from TT.

Regards

Troubadix13
  • NeverRenaultNeverRenault Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    The whole Rlink thing is utter unusable rubbish. Try to get anything on it working and you end up with Renaults useless technical support and when that doesn’t work then their utterly contemptible Customer Care.
    The whole rlink is a complete waste of space.
    Harsh words, @NeverRenault. My solution has eventually been a new SD card of Europe plus cash from Renault which I have used to buy the latest map - I suppose a total value in excess of £400!

I now have a new Kangoo on order, due to arrive in March, with R-Link in the specification, so I wait to see what arrives - when I bought my present one, it had Carminat in the specification, but turned up with R-Link!

It's such a shame that the built in navigation system does not perform to the value of it and absolutely shocking that the software on it AND the R-LInk Toolbox and Store are so slow and unstable. Built in navigation systems are definitely the right way to go, but the R-Link has not filled the bill.

Maybe the worst comment on R-Link is that I also use on my dashboard a 12 year old TomTom GO520 and a GO 6100, hoping that the combination of all three will get me there successfully!! And the best solution would have been if the ancient GO520 had Live HD Traffic.
  • NeverRenaultNeverRenault Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    My solution was the one I already had - to use my iPhone. The navigation on that is far far superior to the R(rubbish)-Link system. Though of course not with the phone connected to the car as life's too short to go through that stress of trying to use it. The USB port is even too pathetic to charge an iPhone. Ridiculous.

In fairness my objection isn't too much with the rubbish R-Link as despite any optimism of thinking you will get something more modern than an 80s radio-cassette you do actually see the thing that you're buying on the showroom demo car, and could see how rubbish it is on a test drive.

My objection is that when the thing fails to function at even its own rubbish specs then what can be done? Renaults laughable 'technical dept' in some far flung country couldn't get it to connect to their servers for almost two months and the 'Customer Care' department is just a joke. Just a bunch of kids given free reign to lie through their teeth and offer nothing but platitudes and a sympathetic "there there never mind how terrible" line to any calls. As soon as there's an issue that requires more than false platitudes they are totally lost and incapable of doing anything other than lie.
    UPDATE. I thought this was all over and done with, but I've received a sting in the tail.

During my hassle with Renault Customer Support Services, I was at one stage invited to text them on +447937946818. As I have unlimited UK texts on my Vodafone contract, I happily did so. When my phone bill arrived, I discovered that this number is in the Channel Islands or Isle of Man and is charged as an overseas message - over £6.
  • AngryBirdAngryBird Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    I can't activate TomTom Live services for several months already... RLink store works, service internet and digital services work however tomtom live services can't activate at all.
    I know this is not directly supported by tomtom but these are TOMTOM services and there is no way to activate TOMTOM services on TOMTOM device...
    Did anybody solved the issue?

my unit serial number is - IGxxxxJxxx56

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum.Thanks!
  • AngryBirdAngryBird Posts: 9 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks to renault support guys my issue is now resolved. However R-Link itself is is really poorly developed item...
    I was shocked with inability to update cameras, voices, additional color schemas.
    The only things that really works and make it worth:
    • TomTom Traffic and live cameras
    • Fuel Prices (however "Show on Map" doesn't work at all :( )
    • R-Link Moments
    • Voice Control - it is not ideal but at least you can call people or enter address if not very complex name.
    Other applications really outdated like these:
    • Marco Polo - they don't have much of POIs for UK and Ireland, they don't show where POI is located before I select Drive To.
    • Renault RSS - it simply doesn't work - shows as Service Unavailable
    • Dashboard - why does it stop music playing when it starts? (doesn't produce any sound) - sort of useful but outdated and doesn't give more detailed statistics like actual used fuel in litres or actual driven miles
    • Email - the client is completely outdated - most mail services refuse to work with it as it uses legacy authentication protocols

Maps... they are delayed by at least 3 months from main TomTom application. It probably makes it cheaper for Renault but it is such a nonsense... Because it is still much more expensive for the end user.
    Prices... they just silently increased twice 2 months ago. 100% raise for mostly everything useful: Maps and Live services - it really discourages people from buying it or subscribing.

There is absolutely now communication channel of reporting issues with particular application
  • JT632JT632 Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    Can you download and install TomTom live services through the R-Link 2 system, the car came with 3 years maps and traffic, it picks up fixed speed cameras but not mobile ones, so I am assuming that I need Live services, it allows me to switch on all the types of cameras within the R-Link 2 settings but it doesn't pick them up. Any ideas!
    You purchase updates (new subscriptions to Live Services etc) via the R-Link Store...

https://gb.rlinkstore.com/en/myvirtualgarage

You need to setup an account with email address and password and you will then need to download and install R-Link Toolbox on your computer (links to download are in the R-Link Store).

Be careful to use the menu in the car to remove the SD card to insert into the computer and when finished on the computer, safely eject the SD card (it's not on the R-Link apps, use the computer to safely eject).

These processes on the computer and in the vehicle all take a very long time (it's the rubbish software, not your computer or broadband), so don't start them until you've got spare time to do them all. Installation into the car after you've done the downloads from your computer take ages too, so don't expect to pop the card in and drive away with a destination set, updates need the engine running too, so best done on a reasonable journey not needing navigation or stopping.

TomTom's speed cameras are not my favourites - the mobiles are only activated by users reporting them whilst on the road and very few people do that. They are removed after a few hours so not much use, to be honest.
    The R-Link 2 system doesn't have a SD card, you have to use a usb stick, but I cannot find where or how to buy live services for it.
    OK, my R-Link 2 has SD card. So with yours, substitute USB stick where I say SD card.

I repeat, you buy updates and subscriptions from the R-Link Store.

PS I today did a system update - 15 minutes on computer, then 30 minutes in the vehicle.
    Ok is it a TomTom sd card and if so did you buy it from TomTom or is it just a normal one like you would use in a camera, if normal what size do you use (GB).
    I have just checked but I cannot find a sd card slot, any ideas where it is on a new shape scenic.
    Let's start again. Apparently yours is a USB stick system, not SD card. So you need to get a USB stick, minimum 8GB, but I'd suggest at least 16GB in case you later want to upgrade to larger maps. I presume you can find the USB slot in your car. You put the new USB stick into the slot and switch on the system in the car (with ignition/engine running), leave it in there for supposedly one minute (I'd do at least 2 minutes!), then take it out and switch off.

Firstly, my apologies because it seems that my R-Link is different from yours. The dealership assured me mine is R-Link 2, and my new vehicle was delivered only one month ago. But obviously it is not the same as yours. Another point to score against Renault for rubbish performance!!!! Mine has to use an SD card which comes with the vehicle, whereas yours seems to have it all already installed in the vehicle and only uses a USB stick to port updates etc from computer to vehicle.

Anyway, I have found these for you...
    https://gb.rlinkstore.com/home
    http://gb.e-guide.renault.com/eng/R-LINK2/UPDATING-R-LINK-2-SYSTEM-AND-MAPS

You will need to go to the first one, R-Link Store, to setup your personal account. Then go to the second link, for the video guide on how to update.

The R-Link Store is also where you will buy a subscription to update your Live Services.

All the above is assuming I've got it right and R-Link 2 works similarly to my R-Link.

REMEMBER WHAT I SAID ABOUT IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO DO THESE THINGS (AND WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING!) If yours hasn't been updated for 3 years, it's gonna take longer than normal.
    Thanks for the info but I have already done all of the above but I just cannot find the TomTom live services in the R-Link 2 store. My Scenic is only 5 months old, I cannot get a straight answer from the dealership as they appear not to know how to do it.
    You're right!!!

When I look in my R-Link Store, My Products shows 3 items, all or some of which will be the ones we want.

Digital Services - 1063 days remaining
    Discovery Services - 1063 days remaining
    LIVE Services - 1063 days remaining

With my previous Renault Kangoo I was able to buy LIVE Services in the My Catalog section - I bought both Live Services and a new map last September. But with my new one, it seems the R-Link Store function has changed and I can no longer see these in there.

I guess you have to get hold of Renault Connected Services - four possible contacts....

0844 355 0000
    0344 369 0000
    [email protected]
    [email protected]