GPX route different on Rider400 than on MyDrive - Help — TomTom Community

GPX route different on Rider400 than on MyDrive - Help

interactive3interactive3 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 28 in RIDER
Each time I import this route into my Rider 400 it is different than on MyDrive. I've used RideWithGPS.com and GPSVisualizer.com to import/export trying to "clean" the file. I've reset my TomTom, updated the software and reformatted my SD card. Nothing seems to be working. On my Rider 400 the route is always wrong.
MyDrive (correct route):
c58139b9-cc5c-49ad-b07f-7aff7162e6b7.png

TomTom Rider 400 (incorrect route)
8a666c53-6f5c-4326-9a4a-af4394e3c239.jpg

RideWithGPS (correct route):
7551c21e-236d-4953-b0cf-db96706f46fc.jpg

Thank you.

Comments

• interactive3interactive3 Posts: 10 [Apprentice Traveler]
    This route includes roads connected by some trail sections. I appears that the Rider 400 is moving the route strictly to roads which completely destroys the track I'm supposed to follow. How can I get the Rider 400 to maintain off-road sections and on-road sections? Every web-site based GPS is showing the correct route. I even tried using MyRoute-App. The Rider 400 is rerouting without asking.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,975 Superusers
    Hi
    I've just spent a while searching using the MyDrive route planner, for the roads on your route,
    Even on Max Zoom I could not find roads anything like the roads your example route, then I spotted your second post :$

The Tomtom PND devices (Including the Rider 4xx) are On-road route planners,
    If you enter a GPS Coordinate for the middle of a forest, the device will only plan a route to the nearest road access point
    If you were in the middle of a forest and you tried to plan a route to a Town, you usually only get a straight dotted line to the nearest road access point and then the planned road route to the town, I don't know how far Off-road road you can be before the device says 'No Route Possible'

I find that if at Max Zoom, using the MyDrive Web Route planner or the Device if a Road or Track isn't already displayed on the Map....
    The route isn't going to go there

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'

Have you checked that "Settings" such as 'Avoid unpaved roads' are not set, possibly try 'bicycle' routes

See page 117 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/refman/TomTom-Rider-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf
    Help others identify useful content :-
    If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍
    If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
    Niall wrote:
    @interactive3

Have you checked that "Settings" such as 'Avoid unpaved roads' are not set, possibly try 'bicycle' routes

See page 117 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/rider_400_40/refman/TomTom-Rider-EU-RG-en-gb.pdf

Thanks for the tip. Avoid unpaved roads is not checked. If there were an option to prefer unpaved roads that would be an excellent feature for adventure bike riders.
    YamFazMan wrote:
    Hi
    I've just spent a while searching using the MyDrive route planner, for the roads on your route,
    Even on Max Zoom I could not find roads anything like the roads your example route, then I spotted your second post :$

The Tomtom PND devices (Including the Rider 4xx) are On-road route planners,
    If you enter a GPS Coordinate for the middle of a forest, the device will only plan a route to the nearest road access point
    If you were in the middle of a forest and you tried to plan a route to a Town, you usually only get a straight dotted line to the nearest road access point and then the planned road route to the town, I don't know how far Off-road road you can be before the device says 'No Route Possible'

I find that if at Max Zoom, using the MyDrive Web Route planner or the Device if a Road or Track isn't already displayed on the Map....
    The route isn't going to go there

ATB YFM

It never occurred to me when I purchased the Rider 400 that it was a roads only device. My history with GPS devices was via mountain biking (with a TomTom competitor). Following roads completely makes sense when routing to a specific destination. However, I thought that if I uploaded a gpx track it would follow the route I gave it. I spent 3 hours trying to get the TomTom to "work properly". In the end I ended up using Galileo Offline Map app on my phone. I imported the route and followed the track (minus turn by turn directions).
    thank you for your help.