Carminat Sim non-functional — TomTom Community

Carminat Sim non-functional

StrykerStryker Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 30 in Built in car navigation
Hi,
I have a 2nd hand Renault with a Carminat Live in it. I wanted to buy the LIVE package, which I did but the car wouldn't connect. After a few contacts to TT support, it was discovered that the SIM in the Carminat was deactivated and thus couldn't connect to the LIVE network.
So - can the SIM be replaced, is there any way to reactivate it or is it a dead duck and why do these get deactivated in the first place?

Thanks

Comments

• ZsoltZsolt Posts: 36,020 Superusers
    TT started to deactivate SIM cards that were not in use for a few years. Maybe a Renault dealer could replace the SIM with a working one.
  • Did you ever get this sorted I have exactly the same circumstance
  • Leaky74Leaky74 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    I have the same issue. What’s really annoying is they can query whether a SIM is deactivated so why not run that query at the point of sale for subscriptions? The current process means they’re sat on customers money until they refund it.
    As far as I can tell, they sent a mail to all affected users. But I might be wrong.
    I’ve just picked the car up (2014 reg), and the first thing I did was pay for a live subscription. It was only after querying it not connecting that the issue became apparent.
    If it is a second hand car (as in: it had a previous owner), then they must have sent a mail to his/her registered mail address. Anyhow, it would be really nice if they flagged somehow at their systems that the SIM is deactivated and wouldn't allow you to purchase LIVE services.
    Agreed. I just don’t get why they’d limit their potential user base by basically rendering the service unusable for vehicle owners subsequent to the first.
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
    Interesting - the Carminat TomTom is superceded by the R-Link TomTom which comes with three years free LIVE services - I wonder if it will be de-activated after that?
    Where there's a will, there's a wake.
    I get there’s an overhead associated with keeping a SIM live but why not make it easily user replaceable?
  • CarminatCarminat Posts: 951 [Revered Pioneer]
    I have no idea. But they don't do that with the standalone PNDs, so why do it with built in devices, which presumably are much more difficult to access (by idiots like me)?
    Where there's a will, there's a wake.
    Just seems ill though through. As I say, the most annoying thing is that they could build in the SIM status check at the point of purchase rather than me now having to wait for a refund.
    My local dealer is looking into what they can do in order to get a new SIM installed (he's never encountered this issue before). Also vodafone confirmed that they would be unable to reactivate the current SIM.