SPARK V RUNNER 3 CALORIE COUNTER

RezaDAvies
RezaDAvies Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi I had a runner 3 which i managed to break the screen on, i bought the spark as i didnt really need the route exploration and didnt have the cardio version so the spark should have everything i need. what i have noticed is the spark doesnt calculate anywhere near the amount of calories as the runner three did. i havent changed any of my personal info so dont understand why there is such a difference. the spark i have is on version 1.0.52 which i know is a old software, what i want to know is has there been a change in the way the calories are calculated in the newer software versions as the runner three i did have was on a newer software version. for example when i done a 4 mile run using the runner 3 it would show i burned 560calories roughly where the older spark is saying i burn 497 calories but that is for the exact same route as i would normally do. if i was to update to the newer software will this correct itself? any info would be much appreciated

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,939
    Superuser
    Calories burned will depend on the activity mode used. In running, cycling and swimming modes the watch is not using your HR to calculate caloric burn; it is using MET tables, which are tables of energy expenditure at various paces. They did it this way to enable users who are not using a HR monitor to get a caloric estimate (otherwise they would get a zero reading). Since MET tables are based on pace and distance, running at different speeds will produce different results, regardless of HR as the paces are different. I find the accuracy of calories in this mode is fine for me (not nearly as good as an HR based calculation but generally in the ballpark) but it all depends where you fall in the averages used to create the MET values, there will always be outliers for whom they are not as accurate. They may have made some small tweaks to the software if you were on a very old version, but there was not a wholesale change between versions.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • RezaDAvies
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Thanks for the reply but your incorrect in what your trying to say, i had the runner 3 which did not have a HR monitor so the equation used to determine calories must be different as the 4mile run i done at a slower pace was showing more calories burned than with the older spark that im currently using. This is why i asked if there was a change in how they work out the calorie burn in the newer software
  • RezaDAvies
    Apprentice Traveler
    THERE MUST HAVE BEEN SOMETHING IN THE SOFTWARE BECAUSE I UPDATED MY SPARK LAST NIGHT AND TODAY THE CALORIES ARE RUNNING A LOT MORE LIKE ON MY PREVIOUS RUNNER THREE SO IM HAPPY WITH THAT