Bluetooth connectivity broken on Android after 1.7.53 update

Celso Fassoni
Celso Fassoni Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
It started happening after the latest update in the watch to 1.7.53. After the update the phone and watch didn't sync the activities anymore then I deleted the pairing in the phone to start over but couldn't get it to sync. When pairing, the watch shows the PIN but the phone keeps looking for connection and doesn't bring up the key pad to enter the PIN.
I already reset the watch to factory defaults, reinstalled the app in the phone, restarted several times the phone, deleted the watch from bluetooth devices list and still not getting the watch and phone to sync.
Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935F, Android 7.0, security patch Ago 1st.

Thanks for any help.
Celso

Comments

• Ryan C
    Ryan C Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    I had/have the same issue. Took me four tries to get it to finally connect again on a Samsung Note 8. Finally connected, but didn't sync right. App shows waiting for watch, then connects, shows preparing to sync, then watch disconnects and doesn't sync my run. Started after the update to 1.7.53. Connection to phone goes up and down constantly.
  • Celso Fassoni
    Legendary Explorer
    Thanks but no lucky here... no matter how many tries, the app doesn't show up the key pad for the PIN. That's sad.
    Opened a ticket on TomTom's support already but no answer so far.
  • Celso Fassoni
    Legendary Explorer
    I may have found a temporary solution to pair with the smartphone, at least. If anyone is interested to try, here it is:

- Connect the watch to PC using the usb cable
    - Open up the MySports Connect and go to to settings (the gear on top-right corner)
    - Find the name of the watch (top-left) and change it! Yes, just change for anything else (e.g. "Spark_yourname")
    - Disconnect from the PC
    - Go to the Android phone, turn on the bluetooth and look for the list if the old name is there and "unpair" it (hold the finger over the name and choose "delete" or "unpair", depends on the phone)
    - Turn off-and-on the Bluetooth
    - Open the Mysports on the phone and try to pair

It worked for me! Not sure yet if it will sync the activities (not syncing before after the upgrade)

cheers!
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,938
    Superuser
    It is removing the watch from the BT list that fixed it, not changing the name. You always need to remove the device from the phone's BT menu before repairing.
  • zanybanypany
    zanybanypany Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    This, unfortunately, doesn't work for me. I have tried removing the device from the list several times and renaming it and it still wont pair.
  • Celso Fassoni
    Legendary Explorer
    This, unfortunately, doesn't work for me. I have tried removing the device from the list several times and renaming it and it still wont pair.

You're right! I did some more tests and it worked only to pair the watch to phone but it continues failing to sync...
    I've been contacted by Tomtom's customer support and they said they are aware and fixing the problem but no estimation was given so far.
    Meanwhile you can decide to roll-back to previous version or continue using and syncing using the PC software.
    You may contact support if you want to roll-back.
  • rchillen
    rchillen Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Same problem here, please roll out fix / software update asap and inform users. TomTom, can you provide an indicative date + confirmation this is worked on (seeing the recent press releases on watches).
  • Tim76
    Tim76 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I'm having the same issue, and i've tried the temporary solution which didn't work for me. Any further help is greatly appreciated.