Battery drain fix

Stiby
Stiby Registered Users Posts: 8
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi folks,

Any update on a fix for excessive battery drain when syncing to mobile app?

3rd time a sync has drained my battery completely since last update.

I'm sure an issue is logged already but here are some details.

Runner 2 music and cardio
Syncing to Sony Ericsson Z5 Android version 7.1.1
Tom Tom Sports 8.0.3 build 527
Issue:

Battery life > half
Turn Bluetooth on handset on
Turn sync on watch on
Syncing on app
Sync between 20-50%
Sync stopped
Alert on watch battery fully drained.

Sync not overly excessive time wise.

Wee bit frustrating as heading to gym before work and have to charge the watch. Music helps today's workout!???!

Any additional details required, please advise.

Thanks for any response in advance ?

Paul S

Comments

• xray79
    xray79 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Renowned Wayfarer
    what software is the watch on?
    There are some issues with previous builds and you can try to get a different build @Jurgen might be able to help with this. I believe linking the mail address your watch is registered to the same one as you use here should help getting you the workaround for now. Th eissue is known and as far as i can tell TT is working on a fix.
  • Stiby
    Master Explorer
    It's version 1.7.53 and emails address the same. Couldn't post version at the time as watch was fully depleted. Many thanks for response. As long as there is a fix being worked on, that'll do for me. I'll just exercise caution when syncing with phone.

Thanks again ??
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    In most cases battery drains are fixed with a factory reset. Have you tried that?
  • Stiby
    Master Explorer
    Not since the latest update Jurgen, I'll try that and then see if it resolves the issue. Thanks
  • madmarmotte
    madmarmotte Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Jurgen - my Multisport watch started the rapid battery drain issue in the Autumn. In watch mode it does'nt last a day and won't last longer than 3hrs when GPS tracking. No good at all for day long bike rides or snowboarding trips.

I've factory reset the watch and re-installed software 5 times (now on version 1.8.52). The watch has been sent back to TomTom for repair under warranty and still the problem persists.

I've seen mention of a 'workaround' to fix this 'known issue'. Please can you provide some guidance as to what the workaround is? I'd hate to throw the watch away becuase of a known software glitch.

Thank you
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,215
    Community Manager
    Hi Jurgen - my Multisport watch started the rapid battery drain issue in the Autumn. In watch mode it does'nt last a day and won't last longer than 3hrs when GPS tracking. No good at all for day long bike rides or snowboarding trips.

I've factory reset the watch and re-installed software 5 times (now on version 1.8.52). The watch has been sent back to TomTom for repair under warranty and still the problem persists.

I've seen mention of a 'workaround' to fix this 'known issue'. Please can you provide some guidance as to what the workaround is? I'd hate to throw the watch away becuase of a known software glitch.

Thank you
    The serial number of your watch starts with HC - the workaround will not work for that generation watches. With 3 hours of battery life, can you check the settings of your watch > Options > Night to make sure night mode is off. That's about the battery life I get with night mode on. If this isn't the case you better contact Customer Support again. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • madmarmotte
    madmarmotte Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Jurgen - thanks for your reply. I've previously checked night mode and watch sync are switched to 'off'. I've also left in Airplane mode and it still does'nt last 24hrs.

So good news is, as you suggested I've got in touch with UK TomTom support on 02079 490 134, spoke to Cesar who was super helpful, advising i have a 2 year warranty and has recommended a replacement watch for free! He sent me a prepaid UPS returns label whilst i was on the phone to him. A great result and well done Cesar at TomTom support!