Runner is stopping with maximum loaded battery

per eirik
per eirik Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
After uploading 1.7.53. The Visual battery sign problem, is like other feedbacks even with earlier releases like 1.6... And is starting to be a huge problem. When connecting a pc with a short update, the runner is "working normal" and the problems seems to be cleared. But i think there is a SW bug and must be solved in the sw development/settings. I asked the local service team in Norway and they wanted me to send the runner to service operation, but I hesitate to do so. And even be out of runner for 30 days. It`s a hopeless way to solve the problem. When sw problem is really solved by the vendor, it seems to me that the problem will be cleared.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    So you contacted Customer Support, they gave you a solution and you refuse to follow their solution because you don't agree with it? Are you a TT programmer or developer that you know the watch better than them? It is highly unlikely you will be out for 30 days. In my experience they are pretty quick with swapping out devices. Did you ask them to possibly send you a loaner while they are looking at yours?
  • per eirik
    per eirik Registered Users Posts: 3
    Apprentice Traveler
    thanks for Your comments
    The reason behind this must be a SW issue, due to the fact that 1.6 and 1.7 have the same core problem. In case of HW problem or Firmware is involved I do not see the point of sending the runner to the vendor just now. I will try to decrease the battery level to zero. I did not hear anything about loan runner from the service Department unfortunate.

If so i will go to the shop and ask for this issue

BTW who are you ? and do you have any experience in handling this type of problems by sending in the HW for repair ?

BR per eirik
  • GSaunders
    GSaunders Registered Users Posts: 7
    Legendary Explorer
    I am receiving the same battery symbol freeze issue since the upgrade to 1.7.53. It seems that when the watch is set to automatic syncing with my phone (Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge), it will randomly freeze the watch and show the battery sign on the face even though the battery is near full charge. Although it can and has been able to display text messages and caller ID from my phone, it appears that the random freeze situation is largely a function of automatic syncing. It also does drain the battery more quickly but I haven't been able to determine how fast because the watch freezes before it ever gets to a drained state.

Performing a factory reset does not cure this issue.

This problem seems to occur at all levels of battery charge. A momentary connection of the watch with a power supply through the syncing cable will reset the watch and I can immediately check the battery level. This problem occurs even when the battery is fully charged (i.e., indicates a battery problem/battery discharge but when it comes back on it shows fully charged). I do run the HR monitor so that it checks my HR every 10 minutes and I'm aware that reduces the battery life somewhat.

Setting the watch to manual sync appears to reduce the occurrence of the battery symbol freeze. This eliminates the ability to display text alerts. I don't think it completely eliminates the freeze situation, however. The act of manually syncing the watch through the phone through the app can cause the watch to freeze after the sync is complete. I had this happen last night and I performed another factory reset.

Another little quirk that perhaps points to an issue. The use of BT headphones can also cause the problem noted above. I paired some some Jaybird headphones with my watch. Apparently the act of pressing the buttons to get to a select a playlist is enough to wake the watch up to connect with the phone (the connection symbol came on to show the phone and watch were connected). About two minutes later, music stopped and the watch froze with the battery symbol. I connected the watch to the cable, just barely touched the other end of the cable to the USB power supply port and the watch reset (immediately it tried to reconnect with the phone and I turned the BT on the phone off so that it could not).

Subsequently, I have turned syncing off to see if that isolates the issue. Personally, I'd rather sync the data manually so that I can keep a copy on my computer and so that I don't have to find the proper file to move and allow the watch to download the data when I connect using a cable.

Let me suggest one other consideration. It could be that the internal hardware/software causes the watch to protect from high current flow because of the data being exchanged. I've had my watch for nearly 1.5 years and I know that somewhere in the future there is a battery failure on the horizon because they don't last forever.
  • GSaunders
    Legendary Explorer
    One more thing I noticed. When the watch freezes and I connect momentarily to a USB power supply or when I connect to my computer, I see a momentary symbol like the factory reset symbol. I don't recall ever seeing that when I connect my watch. It also occurs (very briefly) when I connect the watch for a normal download and charge.

It froze today when I was on my way home. Connecting the cable to the watch and just touching it to a USB power supply reset it. All communication functions are turned off.
  • GSaunders
    Legendary Explorer
    With the latest update (after reverting back to a much older version of the firmware) this problem has returned. Doesn't seem to matter how I've got the watch set, (automatic update, manual, off), I'll randomly get the battery symbol below. Sometimes it will occur several time within and hour and then run fine for a few hours only to have it freeze again.
    469c5121-8711-46eb-8d26-6f8b13ea6549.jpg
    See the battery level. It is nearly fully charged. I lose any data from the period that the battery symbol shows up until I reconnect it through the cable to an energized USB port. e42acdbb-10c0-4b07-8463-e9427b44f702.jpgThis is terribly frustrating, as I have stated in another thread related to connectivity of watch to phone.