Fitness age too low?

RunningWright
RunningWright Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Anyone else getting a low fitness age? Mine says I am 20, which is apparently the lowest it can go. I'm 43 and flattered it is so low, but really? I'm a reasonably fit runner, but I have running friends who are definitely fitter! So how can I use this as a measure of improvement?

Comments

• enrico.tancredi_un44
    enrico.tancredi_un44 Registered Users Posts: 19
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    I have the same fitness age and i'm 36. I have the same doubts of you, because i am really less fit than 2-3 years ago (i actually run only for health and pleasure, and only for 30-40 km/week)
  • M4rc3lv
    M4rc3lv Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Traveler
    My real age is 52 and my fitness age is 20. It has been 20 forever. So I think that there must be something really wrong in the calculation. Too bad, becasue I would have really liked this option.
    Also my VO2max is 46 and remains at 46 all the time.
  • Michael Procter
    Michael Procter Registered Users Posts: 35
    Master Traveler
    I'mm 55, average fitness, VO2 max of 46 and fitness age of 20. That has all disappeared now as I had the firmware rolled back to 1.3, because of the bluetooth syncing issues.
  • daysse
    daysse Registered Users Posts: 31
    Master Explorer
    Me too - 52 years old and TT tells me my fitness age is 20 with a VO2 max of 52. TT is being nice but it doesn't make me any fitter or faster in reality. I can run 10km in 43 mins, and 21km in 142 mins, although probably not right now, and my weight is 85kg. I like that TT estimates VO2 max but the fitness age is nonsense and bound to make people unhappy. Is there an option to just turn fitness age off?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    Once you reach a VO2Max in the high 40s, your fitness age will be 20. It will not go lower, but unless your VO2Max decreases it will not go higher. VO2Max in the high 40s is considered very good and well above the average for the population. If you do not feel it fits you, it is likely the VO2Max is too high, not the Fitness Age too low.
  • pieterbaasje
    pieterbaasje Registered Users Posts: 4
    Apprentice Traveler
    My problem is a bit the other way around.. Last month I got to a fitness age of 52 (great, I'm 60), but the more I train, the older my fitness age becomes. I'm now at 57 and it seems to go up a year every week. Does it mean I train too much and my heart is suffering ? Will I soon die ? (just kidding, I'm only puzzled). :?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    I honestly don't feel you can make any judgments from what it is telling you. It does refine its readings over time but it seems to be a random, capricious measure that ties to very little. It is based on whatever algorithm TT came up with, which is different than what Garmin uses or Strava uses, or anyone else. Ultimately I don't expect a watch to be able to tell me how fit I am.
  • M4rc3lv
    M4rc3lv Registered Users Posts: 7
    Master Traveler
    Then what is the sense of having such an option anyway? TT doesn't seem to have any formula at all. The age always remains at 20. I can make a screen that alsways shows "20". I have the formula for that. The formula is: X = 20.
  • dikkia
    dikkia Registered Users Posts: 11
    Legendary Explorer
    Same problem for me. Fitnes age increase instead of decreasing after workouts at overdrive levels. This way is simply useless...
  • Alez
    Alez Registered Users Posts: 92
    Master Explorer
    Hi ! I think that fitness age is meant to encourage progress, but once you're in shape, it's really not necessary, you already know you're fit, right?
    For example I am new and I want to put my body in shape, I am 58 years old and I still do not show my fitness age, he says that I am still below 80%. For me age fitness at this time is a useful tool.