Go Live 1005 stays on when external power is lost — TomTom Community

Go Live 1005 stays on when external power is lost

Although I cannot tie the change to any particular event, my TomTom Go Live 1005 no longer runs down when external power is lost, whether that is when the ignition is switched off in the car or when the plug (attached via USB to the computer) is removed after updating maps, etc. The change is fairly recent (last couple of months) and I initially thought it might have to do with the state of the battery, which I have subsequently replaced ... with no change in symptoms! I had also thought (although couldn't understand why it would be so) that the change in map installed (originally European maps, but now just UK and Eire), but the power problem started before the maps were changed!

Under 'Settings/Battery saving', I have ensured 'Device stays on when external power is lost' is NOT selected and 'Device switches on when connected to power' IS selected, but to no avail. I have also set those 2 selections to the other combinations, but also to no avail!

Has anyone ANY advice of what might have gone awry?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Well, nothing to lose with a drum reset of the device by holding the power button about 20 sec till you hear the drum sounds.
  • DevonExpatDevonExpat Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Nothing to lose, indeed, which is why I had taken that action several times already! Thanks, anyway ?
    Superusers
    Call support:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • KarlPKKarlPK Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Yup - I have identical behaviour with my Go Live 1005 and I even did the same steps. Replaced the ageing battery, but it's still the same. I can occasionally get it to come on when applying the power, but it never now goes off when the power is removed. This is also something that first happened a few months ago. I suspect TomTom have changed something in the device firmware, but have left the settings in the menus. I did contact TomTom who told me to do the full factory reset, the reload/repair function, etc., all of which I did, but no change. The last message I had from them was that I should send it in for repair. I think not because I've now changed the battery and I don't think it's a fault now, but an issue with the firmware.

If anyone has anything more on this, please do let us all know.
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,769
    Superuser
    @KarlPK

See page 54 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/LIVE/refman/TomTom-EU-LIVE-RG-en-gb.pdf
    7fa5ffea-03f9-4b03-836a-007cc1d7410c.jpgTo change the power saving settings, tap this button on your device
    Not sure what you're suggesting. Did you read my post? The settings are correct (and haven't actually been changed), but the behaviour has changed. It no longer comes on when power is applied, nor goes off when power is removed. And yes, the settings say that it should.

So, not quite sure what point or suggestion you're trying to make. Am I missing something?
    Superusers
    Try a drum reset on the unit by holding the power button about 20 seconds till you hear the drum sounds.

Also, when turning the key in the car, first turn to the accessory setting for about one second and then to full ignition.

Does it turn on then?
    Erm...yes. Please read my post. I did that, did the full recovery procedure (hold the power button well beyond the drum roll, then do the three presses, etc.) and the problem is the same. Looking at others' similar posts, I think this is TomTom firmware rather than a sudden change in behaviour of so many devices.

So - if anyone has any ideas on this AND has actually read the thread, I'd love to hear from you.
    Superuser
    @KarlPK

I was suggesting that the last update changed the default settings that you had correctly set-up. As Tom2's software engineers have an annoying habit of changing personalised settings to what they think is a "good" default :@.
    Can you confirm that you have actually entered your devices "Battery saving" dialogue and all is as you you would like it to be, or did you have to change things?
    Yes, all of those settings are correct for what I'm trying to do. That was there first thing I checked before contacting TomTom and then embarking on various resets.
    Superuser
    @KarlPK

In that case call Customer Service on Tuesday to see what extra they can offer.

CS United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
    Thanks. Yes, that's what they said - likely needs sending in for repair. Translating that means that it'll cost more than it's worth. Very annoying when an update changes the basic behaviour and breaks what the settings are supposed to achieve.
  • go1005ago1005a Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I also have this very same problem so if anyone can resolve this it must be TOMTOM
  • go1005ago1005a Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    don't suppose anyone has managed to fix this
  • Mr DMr D Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Same on mine seems to have started after I renewed a map (or there abouts) same if I lift off cradle probably a ploy by TomTom for you to buy a new model lol