TomTom Runner 3 won't read my heart rate

Rolandsavio
Rolandsavio Registered Users Posts: 2
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I bought my tom-tom runner 3 today and set it up and everything, I enabled the built-in heart rate monitor, but all it does is give me "--" flickering. I have tried resetting it to factory settings and still no reading on my heart rate.

Comments

• Snakebiter71
    Snakebiter71 Registered Users Posts: 26
    Outstanding Explorer
    The HRM on the Runner 3 is horrible, which is a shame because it is an integral part of the whole process.

It might be that there is a fault, but it's also possible it just doesn't pick up easily.
    Try wearing it on the inside of the wrist where the skin is thinner, it works for me sometimes.
    Try to position the watch in different places to get it to pick up.

At the end of the day you have to accept that everything about the HRM is a compromise.
    The data gathered is merely an approximation of what is going on, it won't be 100% accurate.
    Every workout is an estimation of what actually happened, very disappointing if you want actual information.

Although you may never actually know as it may not be possible to sync your watch to your phone to access the information!

I'm afraid you have just become a paid up member of the "Should have bought a Garmin or Fitbit club".
    The same as the rest of us.
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
     Superuser
    I bought my tom-tom runner 3 today and set it up and everything, I enabled the built-in heart rate monitor, but all it does is give me "--" flickering. I have tried resetting it to factory settings and still no reading on my heart rate.

Maybe you have it on EXTERNAL - which means you want your heart rate to be tracked from an external source like an external bluetooth BLE chest strap (or similiar).

Try this on your watch - Settings > Sensors > Heart > ON.
  • Rolandsavio
    Rolandsavio Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you for the information, just wish I had access to this information before I bought it.
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
     Superuser
    Am I correct in saying you have the base Runner 3 model? With no built in optical HRM sensor (i.e. non cardio)?
    If you have the base entry level model - you will need to purchase a compatible/supported Bluetooth BLE HRM strap (chest or arm).
  • Valeverdo
    Valeverdo Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    I have the same problem... my heart rate monitor does not work no matter what I do... It has a built in HRM and the sensor is turned ON.