"Tomtom leaving wearables".... Tomtom really??? - Page 2 — TomTom Community

"Tomtom leaving wearables".... Tomtom really???

2»

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,815 Superusers
    SimonP82 wrote:
    I was given Runner 3 for Crimbo and hate this news. I hope TomTom will be back with new wearables in the future when they ready. I really like this watch.
    They are not introducing any new wearables. They have left the market, laid off staff and taken the loss for it. They will not be coming back as they couldn't do it successfully the first time.
  • marc grinmarc grin Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I had a Garmin, it never faltered. My TomTom is always not connecting/syncing etc. This may be the reason why they are leaving the market?
  • Ja DustyJa Dusty Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    It's a great shame because the product is extremely good. I picked up my Adventurer in December 2017 on a Black Friday deal for 160 (GBP). I was always coveting a Garmin device but wanted something that had basic navigation because I like plotting GPX and following different unfamiliar routes. Really the best equivalent of the Garmin range that could compete on the functions I wanted most were the Fenix 3 HR and upwards to 935 / Fenix 5 etc... and the very cheapest in those ranges at the time was 285 (GPB) but for all the things I wanted most I was looking around 400 (GBP) upwards (considerably more than the Adventurer). I have kids and a mortgage and a wife that might raise an eyebrow if I spent that much money on my selfish pleasures. Whilst the Fenix etc are targeted at the serious competitor athlete, the Adventurer straddles the lower more accessible range of serious functions down to general fitness enthusiasts, and it's smaller than the Fenix 3. So this possibly comes down to a lack of marketing; I don't know? It is so much more than a Fitbit and isn't that much more money. Personally if I get no connectivity issues (that some are reporting) and I can continue to get the current feature set working without a hitch for the next few years I'll be reasonably satisfied because there is no real budget alternative at the moment that can compete. The main thing I would worry about is if its connectivity to external providers suddenly stopped like Strava and Myfitness Pal etc...
  • binobino Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    It's a shame that they have already taken steps to stop developing new products. They could had launched some high end (higher margin) smartwatchs in order to balance the results.
    As I said before, Tomtom has great products with good quality and very importantly with precision or accuracy (HR and GPS).

The main reasons I bought a Tomtom runner 2 almost two years ago were the hear rate sensor and GPS accuracy, the GPS speed and the ability to add music at a competitive price. I had an issue with a strap and the support has been great and replaced it, that is important too, I don't know if other brands behave like that in support terms, I guess I'll have to try when it will come to find a replacement for the runner 2.
  • tri4funtri4fun Posts: 13 [Legendary Explorer]
    I am so sad to read this news.
    I am very sympathetic to those who will be laid off.
    Thank you for your kindness and professional service over the years.
    Other companies would do well to hire anyone from the TOMTOM crew - the service has been excellent.

I bought my first TOMTOM because I am a dedicated open water swimmer.
    Period.

My primary requirement was GPS tracking for swimming and an ability to download and see my tracks. My GPS was true and spot on. I know this because I would walk my path and then swim it in freestyle. Affordability was also important, as a couple of good goggles are as much as my watch!

I enjoyed it for triathlon training, pool swims, walks, run, bikes, and always swimming in the sea. In the pool, it never did measure kicking, so I got to add sculling or arm drills to be sure it counted the kick drill lap. lol - worth the extra work.

The app on the phone and computer have been great. I love to be able to sync to the app when I am away from a computer. I get a buzz on my wrist and see the start of a text if I stay connected. It was fun to have the music option and learn how to use Bluetooth headphones. And NO, they will not work in a pool. lol I even got the bike sensor to use on the indoor trainer - and it just started working with a few tweaks of the position at our recent training class. I was jumping for joy!

Any time I needed help, I called customer service. I always had instant action and my problems or concerns were always solved. Broken toggle switch, frozen watch, snapped straps, locked up sync, help following directions in the help files, slow roll out of updates... all resolved.

I am in shock.
    I am very disappointed that sales fell off.
    I fear the "instant gratification" generation did not have the patience to wait for improvements and were not very forgiving of bugs and malfunctions.
    This watch is going to be a tough act to follow for the price and personal service.

Thanks for all your support over the years.
    Best of luck to everyone.
  • Michael ProcterMichael Procter Posts: 34 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    madmaus wrote:
    Oke....
    So this is probably the last firmware...
    I think it's time to move on to Garmin and leave the spark with the latest working firmware (1.3.255)
    I have done this. Sold my Spark 3 snd bought a Garmin Forerunner 630. It’s in s different league. Okay, due to illness I have only run for 30 mins in the last 10 days, but with vastly superior smartphone notifications I am now on 58% battery after 10 days. With the Spark I had to charge it every other day.
  • EdubabbleEdubabble Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    What an absolutely bewildering crying shame that tomtom are pulling out the wearables market.
    As some have recognised, the Spark and Runner watches are serious contenders in the market given the spec and price tag. I own the Spark 3 and for me it is exactly what I wanted, and I would have had another, and I've recommended it to others too.

So tomtom are focusing on the automotive navigation market? Really???
    I see that as the future dead horse being flogged! You mark my words; The auto navigator system gimmicks I've seen people/friends/colleagues using have always ended up in the same cupboard as their Breville sandwich toasters, electric lemon squeezers and their home video cameras.

So my recommendation changes. Don't buy tomtom "wearables", or for me tomtom products: Given the abruptness and relatively unpublicised nature of tomtom's announcement to drop out of what I firmly believe to be the most promising market, for me personally the brand now has no future as google maps works supremely well on my phone whenever I've needed it.

Sorry guys, but good luck.
    Edubabble wrote:
    What an absolutely bewildering crying shame that tomtom are pulling out the wearables market.
    As some have recognised, the Spark and Runner watches are serious contenders in the market given the spec and price tag. I own the Spark 3 and for me it is exactly what I wanted, and I would have had another, and I've recommended it to others too.

So tomtom are focusing on the automotive navigation market? Really???
    I see that as the future dead horse being flogged! You mark my words; The auto navigator system gimmicks I've seen people/friends/colleagues using have always ended up in the same cupboard as their Breville sandwich toasters, electric lemon squeezers and their home video cameras.

So my recommendation changes. Don't buy tomtom "wearables", or for me tomtom products: Given the abruptness and relatively unpublicised nature of tomtom's announcement to drop out of what I firmly believe to be the most promising market, for me personally the brand now has no future as google maps works supremely well on my phone whenever I've needed it.

Sorry guys, but good luck.
    The news of their leaving the wearables market was all over the sports tech world when it happened. but that was over 6 months ago and people have moved on. They are still doing SatNavs, but most of their business is on the data side, providing the underlying traffic and navigation data to many major companies. They are the biggest player in the world in this market. The wearables was just an experiment for them that they got into with relatively little investment. The watches were not competitive on features, only on price and you can't compete solely on price or you end up losing money on every unit.
  • EdubabbleEdubabble Posts: 11 [Legendary Explorer]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    The news of their leaving the wearables market was all over the sports tech world when it happened. but that was over 6 months ago and people have moved on. They are still doing SatNavs, but most of their business is on the data side, providing the underlying traffic and navigation data to many major companies. They are the biggest player in the world in this market. The wearables was just an experiment for them that they got into with relatively little investment. The watches were not competitive on features, only on price and you can't compete solely on price or you end up losing money on every unit.

Fair enough I guess, I have to admit I'm not that much of a tech market geek, but it's still disappointing for the many owners out there.
    Here's hoping that they do continue to support the existing platform as their announcement suggests. I really don't want to have to buy a replacement any time soon!
    Then again, if the watch platform was to go stale as people leave, tomtom could pull the plug on the whole thing and save even more money?
    Edubabble wrote:
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    Fair enough I guess, I have to admit I'm not that much of a tech market geek, but it's still disappointing for the many owners out there.
    Here's hoping that they do continue to support the existing platform as their announcement suggests. I really don't want to have to buy a replacement any time soon!
    Then again, if the watch platform was to go stale as people leave, tomtom could pull the plug on the whole thing and save even more money?
    I imagine they will continue to support it as far as leaving the MySports site up, but there is no return for their money for them to do much more development. I foresee them becoming legacy products and eventually getting shut down a few years down the line when all the existing products are at end of life, much like Fitbit and others have done with their older products.
  • MarwenKMarwenK Posts: 6 [New Traveler]
    the bad results of the 2017 Q2 are because of the tomtom watches are made for durability not like apple or garmin
    mine is still working after more than 3 years