Spark 3 data transfer

nutpantz
nutpantz Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I was thinking of buying a spark 3 watch
But I don't have a. Android device with internet
I do have a desktop computer (without internet)with Windows 10 and the latest ubuntu Linux.

Can I transfer my workouts to me desktop with a cable?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,932
    Superuser
    No you cannot as you need Internet access to sync data off the watch. Connecting to the computer not work without access to the Internet as all of the processing is done on the TomTom servers. and even if you had a compatible phone, you would still need a computer with internet to register the device and do any updates or resets. And without being able to sync the watch will not clear its memory so you will run out of storage space for workouts. It sounds like this is not the device for you (although I do not know of any other devices that will sync without Internet access either).

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    Also will the desktop show me my gps track and heart rate info. Or is there a application that will. I'm not interested in web site based data storage or data analysis. I have a powerful computer and phone/tablet I don't need web accessed data
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    Garmin devices sync with their base camp desktop application. But garmin is not only pricey but I don't like the company much.

Too bad.. maybe there is a third party application that can get the data from the tomtom watch.
    I heard about a open source application called Golden cheetah but I don't know anything About it
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    Some polar devices also can be downloaded to the desktop and loaded into their application. I use a polar chest strap now and I really like their desktop app.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    You can only see data using the website or the phone app, the desktop software is just used to transfer data to the servers. Everything is stored in the cloud.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    Then there is no way to see the data the device holds even the raw files.
  • tfarabaugh
    Superuser
    You are correct, there is not. Without an Internet connection you cannot access anything on the watch.
  • cheekychimp
    cheekychimp Registered Users Posts: 209
    Superuser
    nutpantz wrote:
    Then there is no way to see the data the device holds even the raw files.

Linux TomTom GPS Watch Utilities

Provides programs for communicating with TomTom GPS watches and processing the data they collect.

See this link https://github.com/ryanbinns/ttwatch which can be used on Linux to get hold of the raw files.
  • cheekychimp
    Superuser
    ttws - TomTom Watch Synchronizer

TTWS is an application that builds a UI for the command line tool ttwatch. Its mainly developed to download activities from a TomTom sports watch and upload them to the Strava website on a Linux system. It allows also to update the firmware, GPSQuickFix and time of the watch. It shows also metadata like firmware version of the connected watch.

You need to have the ttwatch utility pre-installed on your system. Later versions of ttws may have them included.

See link https://github.com/Dica-Developer/ttws.

** Note that these tools, methods are not supported by Tom Tom. They are the independant works of other people who are not affiliated to Tom Tom. If you damage your own device, you on your own.....
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    So if I want to change my play list of music I have to use the internet every time? That will take ages. No way to get the track data or work out data without internet?

I spend far too much time places where internet is not everywhere for Tom Tom products to be any good to me.

Thank you for the info.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    I don't see any way to mark anything as a solution on the mobile web page I'm looking at.
  • cheekychimp
    Superuser
    You need to access the desktop version of the webpage from your mobile browser.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    That's not going to happen
  • cheekychimp
    Superuser
    Do you live in a cave? No offence, but not having internet that's a bummer.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    Really? Your just not thinking that one though are you?

I don't know about you but I don't have unlimited data to go transferring 3 gb of music on to a watch every other day.
    And Yes that's right I have over 500 cds and I don't want to have to buy music i own AGAIN just to put it on a glorified mp3 player.
    (Or give Google money to let me)
    And no I don't want tom tom selling my workout information.
    Why?
    Because it would cost me over 300$ for that privilege.
    If they want to give me a watch for free they can see my data all they want.

And last..
    If I'm in a different county I'm not paying a premium for internet to get full use out of any device..

That's like buying a car but only being able to fill it up can change the stereo at dealer approved stations..

There is not a device built today that does not have a crazy amount of storage space and I'm forced to send my data to the cloud before I can use it?
    Who is that benefiting? Not me.
  • nutpantz
    Legendary Explorer
    And finally
    Having a device that will not work without an external approval process.........
    (And that's just what it is.if tom tom servers are down the watch is useless)
    It's crippled.
    And I don't pay for crippled devices.
  • cheekychimp
    Superuser
    You have just answered the original post in your topic - Well Done - don't forget to mark your topic as answered (...before you run out of data, internet, mobile battery etc..) :cool:
  • Stuart McDonald
    Stuart McDonald Registered Users Posts: 759
    Exalted Navigator
    nutpantz wrote:
    I don't have unlimited data to go transferring 3 gb of music on to a watch every other day.
    Hi, Music is transferred from your computer to the watch, not over the internet. However you do need an internet connection to run the PC application.
    Regards,
    Stuart.