Latest update 1.6.26 removed DATE setting from the clock — TomTom Community

Latest update 1.6.26 removed DATE setting from the clock

ayahel1ayahel1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Explorer]
Yes, just noticed this.
Showing empty screen with "Get going"
But even worse that that.
After applying the latest update to the watch, I can not set the date anymore.
From clock view, press down and select CLCOK.
Now see only 3 options: ALARM, TIME and 24HR.
Before update, there was also DATE option.
Where did it go?

Comments

• ayahel1ayahel1 Posts: 20 [Outstanding Explorer]
    OK about the points.
    But what about the missing DATE?
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209
    Superusers
    Was your previous version 1.3.255? If so, I do not recall there being a DATE under CLOCK because on 1.3.255 a few months ago, I also happen to note that it is no longer there. It's possible, that they removed it at some stage for good reason and somehow controlling it via a server side setting. Some obvious reasons are forward dating or backward dating your activity. Eg: some rewards programs work on the individual doing at least 30 mins of HR activity (averaging a certain HR) and may only allow one activity per day to accumulate for rewards. Also imagine if you forward or backward dated your date, your stats and calculations on the website would make a mess of things.
    Hi. You really expect me to remember what was my previous version?
    I connected my watch to the docking and was asked whether I want to upgrade.
    In the past (any version) there was a DATE under CLOCK.
    I also have an older type of TomTom watch (the SportWatch) and it does have the DATE (but of course).
    My opinion is that this is unacceptable that it was removed.
    If I want to change the date to something different, this is my right to do so, just like any other watch.
    One more thing that is missing in compare to any other watch is the "seconds" in the Clock view.
    For some time now I have requested to add an option to see the seconds in the Clock and every new update I install hoping that this simple feature will be added.
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209
    Superusers
    Tom Tom (and like any other company) reserves the right to alter the firmware as it pleases. To include and exclude features as it wishes. We all have a right to state our own opinions. You stated yours - that's a good opinion.
    Well, everything you buy is for certain reasons and features.
    Of course TomTom, like any other company, may alter the product with an update, and I as a user may choose to upgrade or not.
    Usually, you ADD features, not REMOVE.
    Secondly, setting the DATE is fundamental for a device with the name "watch" in its title.
    Thirdly, I have reviewed the "What's new" page BEFORE I did the upgrade.
    Nowhere to be found an item saying "Setting DATE feature was removed".

TomTom - pretty please - restore the missing DATE setting function.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,181
    Superusers
    ayahel1 wrote:
    OK about the points.
    But what about the missing DATE?

It updates the clock (including the date) every time it syncs (by PC or app) why would you need to manually change the date? Are you regularly going back and forth over the international date line?
    No, this is not something I often do. Actually, I never do.
    But have you ever seen watch without ability to set the date? I have never...
    It is fundamental watch functionality and would appreciate it is it will be reinstated.
    What will come next? you'll remove the clock view and tell me to know the hour by the sun location?
    Call me old fashion, call me stuck with old concept, I don't mind.
    I need the ability to set the date.
    When I bought the watch I had it, if this option wasn't there I wouldn't have buy it.
    Don't take off features already exist.
    I work in software company and we never take off features, for sure not fundamental.
    Superusers
    So it is a feature you have no need for and never see having a need for but you want it anyway? Seriously? Not having the ability to set the date is the least important missing feature on the device. Maybe after they get syncing working 100% and battery drain field and instant pace working and HR spikes solved, they can work their way down to features that actually have no purpose other than to say they are there.
    Hi tfarabaugh
    Well, I didn't want to continue the discussion on the DATE setting here, since this thread raised for something else.
    But since you were asking: yes.
    The thing is, I am using the DATE set feature - well, to set the date of course.
    And it is really important for me that features that existed will remain.
    I agree other things you mentioned are important, but they were there from the first place.
    Please reinstate the missing DATE setting in the CLOCK menu
    Thanks
    Superusers
    ayahel1 wrote:
    Hi tfarabaugh
    Well, I didn't want to continue the discussion on the DATE setting here, since this thread raised for something else.
    But since you were asking: yes.
    The thing is, I am using the DATE set feature - well, to set the date of course.
    And it is really important for me that features that existed will remain.
    I agree other things you mentioned are important, but they were there from the first place.

Then why when I asked if you are manually changing the date did you reply "No, this is not something I often do. Actually, I never do."? Again, it updates automatically every time it syncs, so why would you ever need to change it manually?
    Dear tfarabaugh,
    You asked, and I quote:
    "why would you need to manually change the date? Are you regularly going back and forth over the international date line?"
    And my reply, and I quote:
    "No, this is not something I often do. Actually, I never do."
    I never do "going back and forth over the international date line".
    And due to the remark from cheekychimp: The thread title of this post is "New update gives me a new screen" by the author ChrsAndrade.
    I created new thread at: https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/runner-multi-sport-184/latest-update-1-6-26-removed-date-setting-from-the-clock-1028308
    Thanks
    Hi Everyone,
    Please allow me to explain why the DATE setting is important to stay, by giving you 2 examples.
    Example 1:
    In the past, the TomTom PC application setting had the "Sync watch time with computer" (or something like this).
    When it was checked, many times my watch got an undesirable date and time.
    Which made me adjust manually, both date and time.
    Now I don't see this option anymore in the Settings, so I believe it is "set".
    That means this date/time may be getting out of sync due to that.
    It is actually happen with my older TomTom watch which when its battery drains out, after recharged and sync the date and time are off by days.

Example 2:
    Let say I am hiking for several days.
    I forget to charge my watch and the battery drains out.
    Now I connect it to a charger but not to a computer.
    How is it going to sync the date/time?
    It will be off again and need to be adjusted manually.

I am not asking for complicated thing, only simple. Let me have the option to set my clock date, like I used to have.
    Thanks
  • Hi. With your original watch there were problems with the date when the battert ran out. That explains the problems you experienced in example 1. However the firmware for your old watch is not changing and still has set date. For your new watch it has 2 times, the real-time clock (RTC) and the display time offset from that time (what you see on the display). The RTC is sync'ed with the time from our servers. So unless the internet has the wrong time then your watch won't have the wrong time.

"How is it going to sync the date/time?"
    For example2. Your new watch will sync the time when it gets a GPS lock.

The reason for removing it is we had hundreds of activities every week from users with date set wrong (usually the year), which causes problems with display. exporting and sync'ing settings (age/weight/etc).

Regards,
    Stuart.
    Hi Stuart,
    So this is a definite NO for reinstating the DATE set option?
    I would say I can live with it but will be disappointed, and the next watch I'll buy I will consider the maker very carefully.
    It is not only that one, it is your lack of consideration from people requests.
    Simple things like: have the seconds appear on the clock view, add "Heart beat only" mode, not adding Triathlon mode.
    Thanks
    Arbel