Can a TomTom spark with external heart rate monitor show fitness points ? — TomTom Community

Can a TomTom spark with external heart rate monitor show fitness points ?

rdoggartrdoggart Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
Will the fitness points be available on my spark which uses an external heart rate monitor.
I have upgraded the firmware to 1.6.26 but do not see the fitness points being displayed on my watch, mobile app or web site.

The Fitness Age manual under "Which Devices can I use" lists TomTom Spark.

Thanks
Ronnie

Comments

• icemacicemac Posts: 199 [Legendary Explorer]
    Hi,

this feature works only on TomTom Watches with integrated HRMonitor.
  • rdoggartrdoggart Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think the Fitness Age documentation needs updated then as it lists my watch as being supported and also on several pages references "a heart rate monitor and chest strap"

Bit disappointing as I just this week bought the heart rate monitor to utilize this feature :(

Thanks
  • icemacicemac Posts: 199 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have same "problem" I have TTRunner2 (without Cardio) and as You I don't have "Fitness Age" :(

I have information that You can use HeartStrap for "Fitness Age" and it will be the points counted, but You mast have watch with built-in HRMonitor.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi rdoggart,

Welcome to the Community!

This feature is indeed only available for watches with built-in heart rate monitor. For more information, please see here [support FAQ - Sports device requirements for Fitness Age].

Where did you see the chest strap mentioned? Could you post a link, please?

Thanks, Mikko
  • rdoggartrdoggart Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    My device is listed here at the link below where it says Tomtom Spark, it does not specify a cardio:

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/html/en-gb/index.htm#WhichdevicescanIuse_.htm

"your heart rate is not measured unless you are wearing a heart rate monitor and chest strap."

http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/html/en-gb/index.htm#FitnessPoints.htm

Thanks
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209
    Superusers
    Yes my Runner 2 Music with the bundled Tom Tom HRM strap is also left out in the cold with no Fitness Points/Age functionality on the watch and on the website. I personally cannot understand the reasoning behind it as Fitness points is based on HR data, whether it comes from an optical built in sensor or the more accurate external HRM strap - is surely of no relevance.

I hope Tom Tom releases it one day for non cardio watches.

Lucky for me I also have a Runner 2 Cardio to fall back on...
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi rdoggart,

Thanks for the links!

I've reported this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Jaap DeventerJaap Deventer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I got a tomtom heart rate monitor as a present to go with my Runner 3. Now it seems I can not use the fitness points. I'm very disappointed! :angry:
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,181
    Superusers
    I got a tomtom heart rate monitor as a present to go with my Runner 3. Now it seems I can not use the fitness points. I'm very disappointed! :angry:

As long as it is a Cardio version of the watch you will still get Fitness Points with an external strap. If it is a non-Cardio version there are no Fitness Points in any case.
  • Jaap DeventerJaap Deventer Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    As long as it is a Cardio version of the watch you will still get Fitness Points with an external strap. If it is a non-Cardio version there are no Fitness Points in any case.

That's stupid. If I had a Cardio version I would not need a band. Now I have a Tomtom Runner 3 and a Tomtom heart rate band. As a customer I expect the fitness points to work.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,181
    Superusers
    tfarabaugh wrote:

That's stupid. If I had a Cardio version I would not need a band. Now I have a Tomtom Runner 3 and a Tomtom heart rate band. As a customer I expect the fitness points to work.

Many people use a strap with the Cardio version as a strap is more accurate in some activities. Regardless you are not going to get the Fitness Points feature with your watch so your options are to return the watch and get the right model (or go with another brand) or live without the Fitness Points. Honestly, they are meaningless anyway, they only calculate for a select number of activities and do not tie to any real or meaningful metric. My fitness age has been 20 years old since the day I got the watch and never moves because I am in good shape. It does not tell you anything useful so I would not worry about it.