Sleep bug in 1.6.26? — TomTom Community

Sleep bug in 1.6.26?

HenrikAhlforsHenrikAhlfors Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
Hi,

Normally I sleep 7-8 hours a day and this have been reported quite accurate.

But since 1.6.26 update I get about 2-4 hours of sleep and my stats is going crazy.
Have anyone else had issues with sleeping?

Please see print screen and by the way i often go to bed 23.00 (11PM) and up 07:00 (7AM). At 00.00 i definitive sleep.
This is not detected by Spark 3 with 1.6.26.

Comments

• TmoreiraTmoreira Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I saw that your are using this feature with success. However I tested in the latest version and I don’t understand why if I remove the watch it considers that I’m sleeping. This also happens with you. Basically it do not detect that I’m not wearing it. I teste with the latest version and the previous one. Sorry to not answering you but I don’t want to open a new thread because it can be related
  • HenrikAhlforsHenrikAhlfors Posts: 29 [Outstanding Explorer]
    It's true that I am using this feature with success but I'm disappointed
    with the graphs. I think it's messy compared to competing solutions.
    However, this new bug in 1.6.26 is quite unacceptable, and right now
    feature is not working any longer :(

@Tmoreira this may be another issue. I havent reflected on removing the
    Spark3 may result in added sleeping time. Personally I am used to Garmin
    approach where you specifices your normal sleeping schedule. This gave me
    much more accurate graphs.
  • cheekychimpcheekychimp Posts: 209
    Superusers
    I personally do not think it's a new bug.

Sleep Tracking will always be a hit and miss until Tom Tom finds an alternate way to track it and improve it. All these fitness devices/trackers use it as a sales gimmick (my opinion). It has never worked for me. It is what it is....

If you have a non cardio watch there is even more motivation to not wear it whilst you sleeping as you have no option of 24/7 HR monitoring. Your strap will thank you when you leave it on your bedside table. Less wear and tear on your strap. If you a wild sleeper - less chance of you scratching your glass screen or cracking it against the bedroom walls. But If you a sleep runner - bonus, then make sure you wear it to bed. My watch is on my bedside table. lol. ;)
    @cheekychimp a new update should introduce improved functunality.
    Sleep tracking has definitive not improved, just gotten worse =(

Attention: TOMTOM Crew. Please fix. And NO (I don't sleep 4hours a day as your watch shows).

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Henrik,

Thanks for your feedback here!

This update indeed didn't address sleep tracking. You can find further information about the latest release here.

The activity tracking data is indeed provided as an estimation to provide you information about trends in your activity levels. As sleep tracking is based on motion detection it may be less accurate with people who sleep somewhat "restless". for more information, please see here [support FAQ - How is sleep measured] and here [user manual].

For further look into your case, I'd recommend you to get in touch with Customer Service. They'll be able to get to the bottom of you issue and assist you accordingly.

Cheers, Mikko
  • CarmeloFabioCarmeloFabio Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hello,

I am using my Spark 3 since 2 Months together with the Fitbit Charge HR.
    The sleep tracking before the 1.6.26 firmware update was quite the same but after is totally off.
    I slept tonight more than 8 hours and the Spark calculated only 3 hours.

Nor good!
    More users having the same problem....
  • dayssedaysse Posts: 31 [Master Explorer]
    The sleep tracking has changed. Before 1.6.26 the watch would record me sleeping when I was at work or just sitting. I was so well rested before. Now it looks a lot more like reality but a bit on the low side. I got more than three hours sleep last night. it must be easy enough for tt to aggregate some sleep stats and verify this. For me the sleep tracking has improved.
    Superusers
    The question to ask here is when does the watch zeroise the Sleep Total for that day itself?If it's zeroising it whilst you sleeping - then this is going to be a problem...

I by chance, noticed that on my watch it did this at about 21:30 or so - perhaps co-incidental to me manually invoking a sync with my phone at that point in time. Suddenly the Sleep total for that day was made zero on the watch and the previous Sleep total for the day was uploaded to the server. I placed my phone on my bed side table thereafter and it recorded a 2.22 hrs sleep whilst it was there unmoved (I went to bed at about 23:15). This morning I woke up and saw that it was still at 2.22hrs. This is in direct contradiction to what I experienced the previous night where the watch recorded a sleep of 8 to 9 hours which was expected as I placed it on the bedside table unmoved.

So the question to ask Tom Tom is - how does the device know it's time to zero the Sleep Total for that day? Is it random? Are there certain conditions when it will and when it won't zero the Sleep total for that day?

Could it be that the watch is zeroising the Sleep Total whilst the user is current busy sleeping - and thereby showing a rather short sleep time as a result?

As another user suggested, Tom Tom should allow you to enter your "normal sleeping hours arrangement eg: Mon to Fri: 22:00 to 06:00, Sat to Sun: 23:00 to 06:00" somewhere in the website or app, so that the watch knows when it should start monitoring sleep hours. It would cover most, but not all scenarios, and could bring about an improvement in sleep tracking. This would then remove the scenarios where the watch currently thinks you sleeping when you busy sitting at work quietly or whilst you busy charging your watch for 2 hours before your next activity.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,339
    Superusers
    It zeros out the sleep tracking at around 4:00 pm (16:00 for Europe) local time, unless they changed it recently.
    Superusers
    Thanks I just saw that it did indeed zeroise at 4:00 PM local time (well at least for today).
    Superusers
    Last night I tried to simulate off the wrist detection of Sleep Tracking. To simulate those that "sleep like rocks" and those that do not enjoy sleeping with a bulky watch; I placed the watch on my bedside table at 23:15. I awoke this morning and it recorded "0:00". Altogether, an inconsistant confusing user experience.

As another user suggested, Tom Tom should allow you to enter your "normal sleeping hours arrangement eg: Mon to Fri: 22:00 to 06:00, Sat to Sun: 23:00 to 06:00" somewhere in the website or app or watch, so that the watch knows when it should start monitoring sleep hours. It would cover most, but not all scenarios, and could bring about an improvement in sleep tracking. This would then remove the scenarios where the watch currently thinks you sleeping when you busy sitting at work quietly or whilst you busy charging your watch for 2 hours before your next activity. Arbitrarily zeroising the Sleep Total for that day at 4:00 PM local time is just non sensical.
  • T1t4nT1t4n Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Before 1.6.26 Runner 2 would sometimes log in some extra hours as sleep. After 1.6.26 I'd get 1-2 hours logged in and you can clearly see the statistical discrepancy before and after the update. Something is definitely broken and needs some investigations by the developers.
    @T1t4n couldn't agree more...
    Another week ... now with FW 1.7.53. Sleeping is still NOT working... and TOM TOM does not care :(