VIA 1515M Continues to lose GPS signal — TomTom Community

VIA 1515M Continues to lose GPS signal

The software is updated and the GPS has been reset. Gone through all of this. Has anyone else had any similar experience with this particular model?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Battery fully charged? Do you have a recent gps file?
  • tomcroketomcroke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    The battery is fully charged. It's been happening now for a while. What do you mean by "a recent gps file"?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,066
    Superusers
    Hi
    tomcroke wrote:
    The software is updated and the GPS has been reset. Gone through all of this. Has anyone else had any similar experience with this particular model?
    By Reset what do you mean ???
    Have you tried a Drum roll restart on the device ????
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles......

If possible, for the First GPS Satelite fix after the restart, go outside with a clear view of the Sky

ATB YFM
  • tomcroketomcroke Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Yes, I did the reset as you described; the drum roll restart. I actually just spoke with someone at Tomtom; that person took me through an update on Tomtom Drive to install a gps fix update. Hopefully, that takes care of it. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
  • FiatdrvrFiatdrvr Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yes I have had the same problems.

In September 2017, I bought a new TOM TOM VIA1515M in the States and I used in Paris in October 2017. I was not impressed with its performance. The device was slow in picking up the GPS signal, it directed me off the main highway, through a small section of a neighborhood, and right back onto the same highway. Also, while driving near the Louvre, it directed me to turn into a building, where only pedestrians could walk.

And for the past two months, it keeps telling me that I have a GPS update every other night. It never seems to stop updating.

I'll keep this unit but I won't depend on it. I bought a very nice "World Map" for my map and it includes all of Europe so I will also have that on me next time I visit.

Back in 2009 I bought a new XL which worked much better but because I could not use it last fall in September, I had to buy the 1515M.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,066
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Fiatdrvr
    Also TomTom Live Units get Quick GPS Fix updates Over-The-Air as well, however that file contains data for the next four days only.

ATB YFM