Lifetime updates on Start 50

Plaza
Plaza Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
Hi,
I've received an email telling me about a new map update, but below that it tells me how long my subscription as left. I purchased this particular SatNav because of the lifetime Map updates. Why are they now saying or stating, that infact it's only valid for 10 years now?
This is not right and 10 years believe it or not goes nowhere and before I know it, my subscription according to TomTom will have expired. Should I contact Trading standards for false advertising, because I certainly would of NOT bought this one if I knew I only had updates for 10 years.
Can anyone clear this up for me please.

Regards

Plaza

Comments

• obiron
    obiron Registered Users Posts: 44
    Sovereign Trailblazer
    Why trading standards?

Did you try to contact customer service, at least give them a chance to review your account and subscriptions.
  • Nogalte97
    Nogalte97 Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Customer service? That is a joke, this company does not know the meaning of the word.
  • Plaza
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi

Yes I have contacted Customer service and I'm still waiting for a response, but going off Nog's remarks I'm not holding my breath.
    Yes, trading standards, its false advertising if they say it's lifetime updates but then change it to 10 years. I would of not purchased the Sat Nav if I knew it only has a 10 yr Map upgrades.
    I would of thought a company like Tom Tom who claim to be the best Sat Nav company on the planet, a better customer service and not to back on something. I know why they've done it and that's money. Nothing more.
    I have no problem at all reporting this company, but I will wait to see if they respond in due course to my email I sent.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,740
    Hi Plaza

I have sent a heads up to the customer service for a quick follow up on the incident you have started.

Sorry about the delay.

Regards
    Vikram
  • Plaza
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi Vik,

Many thanks for taking the time to get customer services onto my case. I literally just received a reply to my query.
    Although it's not completely clear, they do state, that they give any device a 10 yr life span and if anyone does have the same device after 10 yrs they can indeed continue with updates on the maps, but only for that device providing it still works after 10 yrs. I've still got a Sat Nav which I gave to Wifey when I purchased the Start50 and that's got to be 15 yrs old.
    I do however still have a concern that in 10 yrs time they will stop updates to that TomTom device without breaking any policy rules, I guess it's like Windows 95 who no longer provide updates for that system. But time will tell.
    Thanks to all who read and give remarks.

Plaza
  • MikkoK
    MikkoK Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for reporting this!

There's indeed been an error in the map update reminder email we sent out a while ago. We're very sorry for the confusion this has caused and make sure this will be correct next time!

Cheers, Mikko