TomTom Spark, problem in syncing music and connecting to Bluetooth headphone

Romel_Dutta
Romel_Dutta Registered Users Posts: 1
Apprentice Seeker
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hi,

I am from India. Last month I purchased TomTom Spark cardio + Music from US.
https://www.amazon.com/TomTom-Fitness-Monitor-Storage-Shocking/dp/B015OIGS0I/ref=sr_1_cc_7?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1502045536&sr=1-7-catcorr&keywords=tomtom+spark3&th=1

After unpacking I downloaded the desktop / laptop TomTom Sports Connect App.
But while clicking the music icon it is not able to identify the songs in my Windows machine.
Instead, it tells "RECONNECT YOUR WATCH . Looks like you've already ejected your watch. Just disconnect and reconnect your watch to your computer". But I haven't disconnected the watch.

In the Advanced settings of the desktop app, there is Playlists Folder to be given, where the file format mentioned is .m3u and .m3u8 playlist files. I am not sure what is this .m3u and .m3u8 files.

Also, my next problem is my watch is not able to pair with my Bluetooth headphone Jabra Halo Smart.
https://www.amazon.in/Jabra-Smart-Wireless-bluetooth-headset/dp/B01JA9MBE4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504968668&sr=8-2&keywords=jabra+halo+smart

My TomTom Software version is 1.3.255.

Please suggest :
i) How to upload songs to my TomTom Spark Cardio + Music watch.
ii) How to pair my Bluetooth headphone with my Jabra Halo Smart.
iii) What are these .m3u and .m3u8 file formats ?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,936
    Superuser
    The MySports Connect application talks to Windows Media Player and iTunes (if they are installed) to query the playlists you have created (you cannot upload individual files; they need to be organized into playlists). These playlists are then listed when you connect your watch. To make it easier to load them, give the playlists distinctive names like "My Spark Playlist" or something similar so they are easier to find. You then use MySports Connect to copy the playlists you want to the watch. In iTunes & WMP you need to create playlists (the watch only plays playlists, not individual files as there is no folder system on the watch). Once you have the playlists created, dock the watch and hit the music note button on the Connect interface, which will take you to the Music screen where it will list all playlists on the computer. When you see the one you want to load, click on it to add it to the watch. Make sure the tracks are in the right format. If tracks are not in an acceptable format they will not play, nor will the playlists they are in.

MP3:
    Sample rate: 16KHz to 48KHz
    Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo channels and joint stereo.
    Artist, track title and length are displayed for the following languages: English, Czech, Danish, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Finnish and Swedish. Other languages may display correctly if the only used characters available in a supported language.

AAC:
    MPEG2 and MPEG4 AAC-LC and HE-AACv2 are supported.
    Sample rate: up to 48KHz
    Bit rate: up to 320 kbps
    Mono/stereo/dual mono are supported.
    Artist, track title and length for AAC is not supported.

The watch does not support files with DRM of any type. This includes offline tracks from Apple Music and Spotify. MySports Connect will not count any DRM tracks as part of a playlist, so if all the tracks in a playlist are DRM then the playlist will not be shown at all.

You can also go to the watch in a file explorer window (the watch will be mounted as a drive) and create a folder in the Music folder and move the tracks into that folder. The software will then automatically create a playlist with all the tracks in the folder named after the folder.

If you are not using Windows Media Player or iTunes then you need to create an .m3u or .m3u8 playlist file (various music programs do this) and then set the Playlist Root Folder. Press the Gear icon in MySports Connect and then scroll down to Advanced Settings and set the location here. The playlist root folder is searched (and sub-directories) for any .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files and those will be listed (along with any Windows Media Player/iTunes playlists) by MySports Connect when you connect your watch. This only needs to be done if you are not using WMP or iTunes; otherwise they search the default locations. The playlists need to be on a physical drive on your machine, it will not find cloud drives.

If using iTunes, check that iTunes is set to share libraries. You need to click the dropdown at the very top left and select Preferences. On the Advanced tab, make sure there is a check next to "Share iTunes Library XML with other applications".

For the headphones, before pairing, you should turn off BT on all the other devices you have tried pairing them to, as BT is a one-to-one relationship so it can only play on one device at a time. Any of these devices could be stealing the signal first. Alternately, go outside away from the other devices so they are all out of range before trying to pair the headphones. Make sure the headphones are in pairing mode while on the clock screen and then press up to have the watch search for it (don't go into search mode on the watch first). On most headphones you need to press and hold the power button for an extended period to get into pairing (check the instructions for your headphones). Once they are paired you do not need to pair again, but make sure the headphones are turned on while on the clock screen and then press up to have the watch search for it (don't go into search mode on the watch first). This works for me every time. If I do it the other way and got to search first it often won’t find them. Finally, make sure you are not putting the headphones into pairing each time. On some models if you hold the power button for a second too long it will put it into pairing mode. For pairing purposes, leave the headphones sitting on the watch so they are as close as possible. And again, make sure you are in clock mode before going into pairing mode (just like when you turn them on to listen) and only press up once you have gotten the confirmation from the headphones that they are in pairing mode.

Most BT LE devices should work, but some work better than others. Price seems to not be a factor as the cheaper ones often seem to work better than the expensive ones. This is due to the fact that cheap models are more likely to use the base BT protocols and not customize them for advanced features or settings like more expensive models do (and there is no way of knowing if a manufacturer has tweaked the protocols to take them out of compliance). The BT standard is in such a way a 'standard' that it can be widely interpreted with different settings for buffer sizes, time outs, profiles, protocols, antenna configurations, etc.. TomTom cannot change their code every time a manufacturers messes with the BT coding. This is a case where paying more will not increase the chances of connectivity, it may actually decrease it. There are thousands of models out there so there is no way for TT to test them all and since the manufacturers often tweak the BT settings there is no way to know upfront if a pair will work or not. At a minimum they need to be BT LE and support A2DP and AVRCP, the two protocols necessary to play music. Your best bet is to buy them from someplace with a good return policy so if they don't work you can return them and try another brand.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Mark Bartlett
    Mark Bartlett Staff Posts: 23 Staff
    Hi Romel,
    The message you're seeing - 'Reconnect your watch' - means that the music drive hasn't been mounted. You should see a drive in Windows explorer labelled 'MUSIC'.

Is your computer configured to prevent you connecting external or usb flash drives?

If the MUSIC drive is mounted correctly when you connect your watch, you can get to the Music screen where you can add playlists to the watch.