Bug: Avoid "unpaved roads" on every route — TomTom Community

Bug: Avoid "unpaved roads" on every route

ronald2oo2ronald2oo2 Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Did anyone else notice this annoying bug (I have the TomTom rider 450)?

I have my setting "Avoid on every route: unpaved roads=on ". However when I "plan a thrill" then it still suggests unpaved roads and asks with a popup if I want to calculate a new route without unpaved roads. This is already very annoying because did I not setup that I want to avoid unpaved roads on every route? But adding to the annoying is that the popup only stays visible for a few seconds and if you missed it you may (in the mountains: you will) unexpectedly be directed over unpaved roads which I prefer not to do and in most cases could be avoided if TT did not insist on planning unpaved roads to begin with!
BTW missing the popup is almost standard: you start the planning put down the TT to go do whatever and when you come back the route is ready and the popup was never seen. Or when you actually did notice the "unpaved roads" popup with the initial route planning and you did make a new plan and during the trip you divert and TT makes a recalculation .... the unpaved roads are back again on your route and you are driving so of course you missed the popup.

In Holland we do not have much unpaved roads so normally I do not encounter this issue. But doing +12000km through Europe this summer I encountered this issue MANY times (hence the annoyance ;).

I hope TT will make my next summer less annoying :)

Cheers,
Ronald

P.S. of course I mean when there are options for paved roads! The setting should be disregarded (as it does now) only when there are no options for paved roads!

Comments

• wschomburgwschomburg Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Yes I have this problem as well. I ride a 910lb Honda Goldwing and even though I have unpaved roads turned off I am still taken on them if I select windiest roads. This is a real problem because the first time I went down this road it ended up being a hair pin right with a 200 ft drop on dirt/gravel and I had to do a 60 point turn to get the bike turned around so as not to topple off the side of the mountain. Did I mention its over 900lbs!

I can understand if not all roads in the map are known to be unpaved but I have yet to find a way to flag it as such so that it can be updaeted in the community updates.

I really hope this gets top priority to be resolved, very dangerous.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 749
    Superuser
    You may contribute to the map correction: https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

Every map maker provides a tool like that.
  • Cliff z1000A1Cliff z1000A1 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Ste7ios wrote:
    You may contribute to the map correction: https://www.tomtom.com/mapshare/tools/

If your still alive..
    Superuser
    It’s our responsibility to stay alive, not TomTom’s or anybody’s else.

The reality is that there are always various map errors, and they’ll be until AI and technology allow us to have precise and very frequently updated maps with minimal cost...

The same applies to software bugs. With the current programming methods & languages, coding is the art of creating bugs! :D (though DevOps may speed up things...)

So, we can’t rely 100% on any navigation solution. To avoid any frustration on the road requires some ‘frustration’ on the computer’s screen designing the route and checking everything, mile by mile...

Contributing to the map community may help us all, although I don’t completely agree with it, not for free... Companies should pay for every map correction.
  • eldawidoeldawido Posts: 206 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    The problem is not in map's error but in "thrill planning" that can't take under calculation which road is paved, which one not.
    That's what they call "thrill"
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 17,742
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ronald2oo2
    Avoid Unpaved roads on every route Ignored....
    I recall this as being a compromise to a 'No Route Possible' error
    When the Thrilling route option was introduced, in certain circumstances where a user had set 'Avoid on every route + 'Unpaved roads', the device reported 'No Route possible'... When in fact there was a route possible but using 'Unpaved roads'

If you have 'Avoid on every route + Unpaved roads' (or one or more of the other 3 options) set and you want to pre-check a route....
    After the device has calculated the route Tap the 4Dot (....) --> Tap Current Route... If the Route is OK the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon will be greyed out
    If the the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon is highlighted Tap on the 'Avoid Toll and More' Icon
    The option/s causing the problem/s will be highlighted

ATB YFM
  • ronald2oo2ronald2oo2 Posts: 17 [Outstanding Explorer]
    @YamFazMan
    Not sure how this info is helpful or making this bug any less annoying :thinking:
    Anyway this method is known (but not making this bug less annoying) and not an option after automatic recalculations during the route.

All the best for 2018
  • TheMasterBlasterTheMasterBlaster Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 2019
    Ste7ios wrote: »
    It’s our responsibility to stay alive, not TomTom’s or anybody’s else.

The reality is that there are always various map errors, and they’ll be until AI and technology allow us to have precise and very frequently updated maps with minimal cost...

The same applies to software bugs. With the current programming methods & languages, coding is the art of creating bugs! :D (though DevOps may speed up things...)

So, we can’t rely 100% on any navigation solution. To avoid any frustration on the road requires some ‘frustration’ on the computer’s screen designing the route and checking everything, mile by mile...

Contributing to the map community may help us all, although I don’t completely agree with it, not for free... Companies should pay for every map correction.

That is the most generic piece of BS I have read. The Rider GPS maps you on dirt roads when you have that option turned off. The settings don't change, it just sometimes ignores the setting and selects dirt roads. Often it does this, not seldom. This when paved roads are next to them. This is clearly a bug in the navigation software that has been there for a few years. TomTom needs to fix this.
    Superuser
    Bug of the software or a map error the result is the same. You can't fully trust it.

From my experience in the country side of Greece there are many map errors, roads that don't exist or are dead ends or they're in the wrong category...

Nobody disagrees they have to fix any bugs, map errors or anything else that causes problems. Until then...
  • TheMasterBlasterTheMasterBlaster Posts: 5 [Apprentice Seeker]
    edited June 2019
    Ste7ios wrote: »

To be honest, I find most of your comments in this forum not helpful at all. Fixing the unpaved roads after my ride doesn't solve the problem as I constantly go on new rides. I recently made a 600 mile ride (both ways) and mapped it without paved roads and it tried to put me on gravel roads probably 10 times. Most of the time there was a paved alternative right next to it. So what am I supposed to do. stop my bike, pull out my PC, load up the map correction tool, and mark these on EVERY ride? Your solutions always seem to be supporting TomTom when they clearly have a problem with the unpaved roads issue. I get unpaved roads constantly!!! Please don't make excuses.
    Superuser
    Am I supporting them by saying in this forum that we cannot trust completely satnavs or that I don’t see that they will never fix none of the known bugs or missing features (BT hoarse voice, waypoint labels, etc)?

I’m trying to be a realist... We can’t completely rely on them. Period. Similar problems we have with the much much more expensive ($$$$) GPS plotters (nautical GPS with complete boat navigation). Wrong depths, contours etc..

What I do especially for new, unknown rides? I design the route mile by mile and I’m adding intermediate waypoints to guide it as I want. That is 20 - 30 more waypoints instead of the 4-5 that I want to visit.

Yes ideally all that work it shouldn’t be necessary but it is...

When I can I contribute to the MapShare community but it’s difficult the way it is...