Stuck in a loop once update has failed. — TomTom Community

Stuck in a loop once update has failed.

Hi,

I've been trying to update my map for two days.

What seems to be the problem is while the new map will fit on my device, it will not fit with the old map installed. And every time I try to update the map it fails, leaving me with a corrupted map on my TomTom 135.

When I try to remove/repair the map via mydrive connect it instantly starts up trying to install the new map again as soon as its connected, overriding whatever I'm doing. Which takes another 2-3 hours. Then it fails the same as the first time.

This has happened every time there has been a major update - I should learn and just not update it I know but anyway...

I've been trying to update for 24 hours now, left things running over night for another attempt. Tried another computer. Nothing seems to be working and I've made about 7 attempts now with the MyDrive Connect update, each one taking 1-3 hours.

Typically I need the device tomorrow but thought two days would be ample update time - it seems its not.

I wish there were some way to stop the auto update on connection so I could use the repair/delete function but the software just overrides that and keeps trying to update. Any one have any ideas?

Comments

• dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Call support to assist:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • HatchHatch Posts: 11 [Master Explorer]
    Thank you. I saw that number on another thread, called and things looked promising. The helpful person I spoke to on the phone was able to stop the auto download.

They cleared the device and it looked promising, however once again the map install failed. No map on my device. My Drive connect seemed to have frozen at the end, though it said 'update complete'. A minute or so before that it had 25 minutes to go.

I just called up again as I am back in the loop, and the person on the phone the second time didn't seem as knowledgeable and just said to try to update it again. However this is about the 7/8th time now so, after another 2 hours I fully expect the same result. This is very frustrating and not how I wanted to spend the day.
  • skuutskuut Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    dhn wrote:
    Call support to assist:
    United Kingdom
    02079 490 134
    Monday - Friday: 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

What if I'm not from the UK and my accent is garbage when talking? Like I can't update the app as well, once it hits like max 70%, update resets and starts updating from 0%

EDIT: It seems that the new Europe map update is 3600 MB big, yet my device only has 2600 mb free space. Also, now that I turn on the device, it just saids "No Maps found", so I can't even use the old map as of now....
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,301
    Superusers
    Support:

Latvija
    800 034 46
    Monday-Friday:11:00-19:00
    Thanks!
    It sounds like you have the same issue I do! If the helpline provides a solution please do let us know.
    Yes so that update failed.
    Now I can't update/repair as it says device is too full. Uninstall takes me to a screen that says servers are busy then nothing happens. So now I am unable to do anything to move forward or try and fix it until tomorrow.
    Okay so I reinstalled MyDrive again, and the same thing happend.

Then I reinstalled it and did the device reset, holding down the power button ect, then let MyDrive Restore it, then it updated and then it updated again and now its working again. I think its downloaded a smaller European area than before, but its working and it has what I need on it.

Very grateful it worked this time, couldn't done without wasting the best part of two days to get it to work.

I shan't be updating in a hurry again thats for sure, which is a shame as looking at the devices for sale (As I was down to earlier) this is used as a big selling point whilst in practice its the worst part of owning the device and just doesn't deliver.
    dhn wrote:
    Support:

Latvija
    800 034 46
    Monday-Friday:11:00-19:00

That is not the number for Latvian support, I called up and a guy was saying something in English
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,769
    Superuser
    @skuut

Sorry to say but TomTom only supply support in English but with that freephone number when called from Latvia.
  • jasperwillemjasperwillem Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just wanting to let you all know my TomTom had a problem, and when it rebooted the USB slot had hardware reset that locked up my whole PC.

Now I have selected "repair" and it is looping over and over again.
  • jasperwillemjasperwillem Posts: 33 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Just wanting to let you all know my TomTom had a problem, and when it rebooted the USB slot had hardware reset that locked up my whole PC.

Now I have selected "repair" and it is looping over and over again.

Dont see an edit function... so, after forcing a 10s shutdown and fresh (empty map) boot, I got another failed "loop" from the updater, but at least it failed, so then it could go for a repair, that is now succeeded.
  • mzn123mzn123 Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hi, this is what worked for me :) {Windows PC}

1) Uplug your TomTom from your computer
    2) Close MyDrive Connect
    3) Near the time and date of your system clock, (bottom-right hand corner), tap on the “^” botton to expand the system balloons
    4) Right click the MyDrive Connect icon and press “Quit” — this will fully exit the application
    5) On windows explorer, locate the folder where TomTom cache is; it’s usually something like this: C:\Users\{name}\AppData\Local\Tomtom
    6) Once on that folder, delete the “HOME3” and “MyDrive Connect” folders
    7) Make sure your TomTom is switched off and then: Hold down the power until you hear the drum sounds (release immediately as you hear it)
    8) Plug in your TomTom to your computer
    9) Open MyDrive Connect, it will ask you to sign in again etc, etc
    10) Your TomTom will re-connect to your system and should pop up
    11) Notice how ‘Auto-Update’ will not go through; Go to Content and install your map (if needed to, remove any corrupted map and replace with new one, which should be seen under my content)
    12) MyDrive Connect will actually start to download the map to the computer this is how you know it’s working !!
    hope this helped