Two recorded runs now not showing or uploading onto sports app - any help please?

Running Man
Running Man Registered Users Posts: 33
Master Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I recorded two runs in Scotland early Aug 2017, with my TomTom GPS Runner 2 watch, they were successfully recorded because I made a note of my times after I had finished them. Now back in England these two runs are not showing up on my watch so I am unable to view them via the sports app. Any help please? One of these runs was my fastest ever 10 mile run so I am very disappointed that I have not got all the data to back this run up ?

Comments

• xray79
    xray79 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Renowned Wayfarer
    Did you try to sync them via the app or via the MSC program on a laptop/desktop?
    Did you get any error messages while syncing or did it hang up at all? 
    If you did they should be still on that device you used to sync and you could try to upload them again manually. TTBIN files are the ones you should look for.
    You can search for the topics here but this is an old explanation on what to do created by another user (tfarabaugh) here.

Have you first installed the Connect software and is it running? The software must be installed and running prior to plugging in the watch.If you are using the phone app, once you have synced by phone you cannot also sync by computer, it is either/or. Once the watch thinks it has a successful upload it clears the memory (what you are seeing in the History is just summary data points, the actual activity is deleted once synced). If using an app to upload, the app needs to be open and active. Also make sure you do not separate the watch and the phone during the sync process. Best bet is to put the watch on top of the phone and leave it there. If you get out of BT range it will fail. Make sure you have strong signal on the phone (WiFi is even better). A weak signal will slow the process and can cause failures. I recommend using the computer to sync as it is much more reliable and much faster. Also, when you upload activities using the MySports app for phones and mobile devices, backup data files for manual import like fit or tcx files are not stored on your computer so it is best to use MySports Connect on your computer if you need those file types for manual uploads or you want a more reliable syncing process.

The first thing to do is see if there are ttbin files for the activities in question, which will allow you to reload them. Once you have them, dock your watch and double click the ttbin files (make sure that you have the desired file types and uploads selected on the Upload & Export tab in the Connect software). If there are no ttbin files in iTunes (for iOS) or on the phone (for Android), you can try restarting the sync (on the watch press down from the clock and go to Phone and turn it off and then on again, this should restart the sync process).

Locating the ttbin files in iTunes: 
    1. Connect your iOS device to your computer and wait for iTunes to open.
    2. Select your iOS device in the iTunes sidebar.
    3. Select the Apps tab and scroll down to File Sharing.
    4. Select MySports.
    5. The ttbin files are listed on the right hand side.
    6. Right-click (Mac: ctrl-click) a file to copy it.

Locating the ttbin files in Android: 
    1. On Android 4.4.2, the ttbin files are stored on the internal SD card in a nested subfolder of /TomTom MySports/ (/sdcard/TomTom_MySports/HNxxxxxxxxxx/workouts/uploaded/).

For PC Syncing, is there a dated folder for the date of the activity under C:\Users\{User Name}\TomTom MySports\{Watch Name}? If so, is there a ttbin file for the activity in question in that folder? If not, is there a folder under TomTom MySports labeled with your serial number? Is there a file in there with a long string of numbers ending in -1 or greater? If so, it could not connect and will continue retrying for several days until it can connect. If there was a ttbin on your computer in a dated folder you can dock the watch and double click it and it will upload and export the activity. 

If there are no ttbin files for the activities anywhere on your computer or phone and syncing again does not automatically restart the process the activities may be lost. Look at the storage bar on the watch (press down from clock screen and go to About). Is it empty? If so, the watch has been cleared and the activity is lost. What you are seeing in the history is just Summary data; all the detail has been removed.

Compilation failures are thankfully pretty rare and are usually the result of a corrupt activity file or a disruption in the sync process using a phone app (this is why you are better off using the PC sync wherever possible). Did you notice any unusual behavior during the activity, the display freezing, the time or distance seeming to pause on its own, etc.? In the 2+ years I have had the watch I have only lost 1 activity (out of hundreds) so it is not a common occurrence. You may want to do a Factory Reset after doing all the steps above, which will clear the watch firmware and install a new one, removing any possible corruption within the data. It is not necessary but it also cannot hurt, particularly if there is a bad activity file on the watch as that can block future activities from syncing.

To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact Us, and fill out the web from (select the Sports Watch and the issue - doesn't matter which one) it will show the Phone Us button, Press it and it will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the top right corner of the screen).
  • Running Man
    Master Explorer
    Ok thanks I will try and locate the ttbin files first on my PC and take it from there. ??
  • Running Man
    Master Explorer
    Ok, I have looked at the default TomTom Sports folder on my PC c: drive
    Under my watch name I have 30 folders labeled from 2017-02-18 upto 2017-07-21
    All contain .ttbin files.
    There are no folders with .ttbin files for my runs which my watch recorded on dates (2017-8-2 + 2017-8-5) these are missing from mysports.tomtom.com/app/activities

This alone has confused me as I have runs recorded up to yesterday 2017-9-3 on mysports.tomtom.com/app/activities - where are the folders / .ttbin files for these on my PC?

I can only assume its due to the TomTom Sports app which in July on my iPad suddenly changed it's name to the TomTom golfer App (I did nothing to instigate this) when I installed the latest TomTom Sports App in early August my two runs refused to be updated or shown on my watch). Unfortunately I had no access to my PC during this time.
    All in all I have lost two runs in over a year of purchasing my Tom Tom GPS Runner 2 watch, luckily as I stated above I managed to pen down my run times.
    Its a shame :? but life goes on :)

I will try and stick to uploading all my activities via my computer first and then use the iPhone / iPad App next...;) to avoid the App missing data during updates etc.
  • xray79
    xray79 Registered Users Posts: 160
    Renowned Wayfarer
    myabe with the update of the app somethings got mixed up. I would check with a dummy activity to make sure it is all working and if not de install the app and install the latest version again and pair the watch with the phone/Ipad.
    If you synced them via the Ipad/watch the PC won't have the files as they are erased from the watch after the synchronization.
    The overview on the watch is just showing the basic metrics/info of the last 10 activities and is not the complete dataset. And these will be erased as well eventually as the latest will be deleted by the newest activity.
    If you are lucky the files are still on the phone/Ipad you can try to get them uploaded again via the thread explained here https://en.discussions.tomtom.com/spark-and-spark-3-runner-2-and-runner-3-473/where-is-the-ttbin-file-when-using-the-mysports-mobile-app-991354
  • Running Man
    Master Explorer
    Thanks for your reply, watch is working fine, it recorded my last 10 mile run ok so it looks like the app messed my 2 missing runs up...now I know the app clears the watch data when synced I will connect to my PC first before syncing it to my iPad / iPhone etc. :)