Worn out USB contact - How I solved it?

perhult
perhult Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Has anyone else experienced this? The USB contacts on my Spark watch became entirely worn out. I found out because I was unable to sync (I always use the USB cradle, never Bluetooth)
Now I have looked at my wifes Spark and I can see that the same thing is slowly happening. We both use the USB cradle perhaps three times per week - not extremely much.
Image where the problem is easily seen:
6de754fd-82b7-4118-986b-fd8603d8e00c.jpg

I was able to solve the problem. I realise the solution is not available to everybody, but I want to show it anyway since it might help someone.
I used a Conductive Pen which I had available at my workplace. This is a high quality brand that is quite expensive, there are cheap alternatives but I have not tried them.
b43626aa-bc8c-471c-8f54-32dc23f7640f.jpg

I filled in the connector with the pen (not a pretty work in the image, but it worked perfectly)
c67080aa-9d21-4a26-9052-a4ccc36cb4f5.jpg
I have used the watch for about four weeks and there is no sign of the repair getting worn out yet!

Comments

• pinball
    pinball Registered Users Posts: 8
    Legendary Explorer
    Nice of you to take the trouble in telling and showing everyone.
  • Running Man
    Running Man Registered Users Posts: 33
    Master Explorer
    Thanks for the tip perhult and taking time to show pictures etc. ??
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    If you are still within your warranty period you should call Customer Support as that is covered under the warranty. To get the number for Customer Support, go to tomtom.com/support, choose Contact at the bottom, select the service required and the product name and click Contact Customer Care and then Phone Us. It will give you the phone number for the country your account is registered under (this can be changed by clicking the flag icon in the bottom right corner of the screen).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • perhult
    Apprentice Traveler
    tfarabaugh>> I am not within the warranty period, but in general that is of course good advice.

It seems I am the only one with these problems, I did not find anything similar in the forum when I searched. I think I am quite gentle when I connect and disconnect the watch, am I doing something wrong?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 17,004
     Superuser
    Are you rinsing the watch off after each use? Do you wear any sunscreen, bug spray or lotion that may be corroding it?
  • perhult
    Apprentice Traveler
    No lotion, bug spray or sunscreen (I wish would find the need for sunscreen more often here in Sweden... =)
    But I don't rinse the watch after each use, only occasionly. I should definitely start to do that!
  • Running Man
    Running Man Registered Users Posts: 33
    Master Explorer
    The contacts on my TomTom Runner 2 GPS Watch are now starting to wear out causing docking a bit hit and miss meaning I have to reconnect until the watch is recognised via my PC.

My confusing bit is when I head to support and add my serial number which begins with 'HD' I get the following message: Your device is either a TomTom Spark or TomTom Spark

Can anybody help me with this? My watch is well within it's 2 year warranty term.
  • Alex1314
    Alex1314 Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    There is the replacement of this connector in the spark 3 clock or where there is a service center in Mexico.