TOMTOM SPORTS LAUNCHES FITNESS AGE AND PERSONALISED WORKOUTS

MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 24 in News and announcements
[h2]Work out smarter and improve your Fitness Age[/h2]
673b06ab-87d7-42bf-98a7-9af02be1692c.jpg

IFA, Berlin – August 31, 2017 TomTom today launches Fitness Age, Fitness Points and Personalised Workouts across their sports watch range[1]. Combined, these new features give users the tools they need to work out smarter, achieve their fitness goals faster and live a healthier lifestyle.
  • TomTom Fitness Age shows users how fit they really are;
  • TomTom Fitness Points give users direct feedback about their exercise to improve their Fitness Age over time;
  • TomTom Personalised Workouts provide step-by-step exercise guidance tailored to an individual’s fitness level and exercise goals.

Corinne Vigreux, co-founder and managing director TomTom Consumer said: “I always wonder when I exercise whether my efforts have any impact on my fitness level and I know I am not the only one. By introducing Fitness Age and Fitness Points we have now designed a reliable way to measure your fitness level. We are proud to introduce a ‘personal coach on your wrist’ to motivate you when you need to do more and acknowledge your efforts when you’ve done enough.”

[h3]TomTom Fitness Age & Fitness Points[/h3]
TomTom Fitness Age provides users with an age relating to their personal fitness level. It is based on their VO2 max and compares their fitness level to their age and gender. VO2 max (the maximum amount of oxygen an individual can consume per minute, for their body weight) is a key indicator of cardio fitness and a globally accepted measurement.

Based on your Fitness Age, you will earn Fitness Points every time you exercise. The greater the effort, the more points you achieve. Gain 100 Fitness Points per day to guide you in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. If you hit around 500 Fitness Points, three times a week, your Fitness Age will improve over time.

Urho Kujala, Professor of Sports & Exercise Medicine at the University of Jyväskylä, involved in the research used to develop TomTom Fitness Age, said: “Recent research has proven that the recommended exercise to optimally improve people’s health and fitness is personal and especially determined by their current fitness level. TomTom Fitness Age is based on this research, and takes these individuals factors into account. Therefore it is an overall better guide to becoming fitter than just the existing and absolute metrics such as steps, calories, and active time and users are more likely to live a healthier and fitter life.”

[h3]Personalised Workouts[/h3]
Personalised Workouts offer users fifty running and cycling workouts directly on their TomTom Sports watch. Intensity and duration are automatically adjusted to reflect an individual’s fitness level. Personalised Workouts can help improve your Fitness Age, as well as support individual fitness ambitions such as running a marathon as well as fat burning, cycling or running speed and strength goals.

[video]

[h3]Additional updates[/h3]
Phone notifications and Autopause are now also available across the TomTom sports watch range. Phone notifications allow you to see incoming phone calls and text messages on your watch. With Autopause, your TomTom Sports watch pauses automatically when you stop moving, preventing temporary breaks in activity from distorting your performance data.

TomTom Fitness Age and Fitness Points have been developed to give guidance and motivate everyone, no matter what their fitness level or fitness routine they enjoy. All the new features will be available via a software update across all our cardio Sports Products[2] and with the TomTom Sports app from September 2017.

See the full press release here

[1] Available across TomTom Runner 2, TomTom Runner 3, TomTom Spark, TomTom Spark 3 and TomTom Adventurer

[2] Available across TomTom Runner 2, TomTom Runner 3, TomTom Spark, TomTom Spark 3 and TomTom Adventurer

Comments

• AbramKJAbramKJ Posts: 15 [Outstanding Explorer]
    This is great! Can't wait. I was a little confused since on August 29 an update to the Sports iOS app also rolled out, but this wasn't it.

Will there be a way to isolate the VO2 Max number itself?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Abram,

The iOS app indeed got out a bit early ;) The watch software to bring these features will also be out shortly as well. I'll announce it in the Sports section so stay tuned :D

Cheers, Mikko
    So 8.0 (now 8.0.3) is the version with the fitness age? I don't see it. Is that because it needs the watch software updated, too?

Thanks for your reply. I also want to know: will there be a way to see the VO2 Max number itself? (Or at least a formula to use to work backwards from Fitness Age to VO2 max?)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,660 Superusers
    VO2Max is a viewable metric on the Progress section of MySports, trackable by week, month and year.
    Great! Thanks!
    I don't see it there. You mean on the Web version, right?
  • Simone PiccoliSimone Piccoli Posts: 2 [New Traveler]
    Appena seleziono questa nuova attività mi dice problema con l account,devo quindi riassociare l orologio, E non mi funziona!
    MikkoK, any update on when this will be available?
  • Cal YeoCal Yeo Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    The update is out. I received the update through TomTom Sports Connect and updated the watch firmware yesterday. It works fine, even the notifications (only calls and standard messages though).

There are quite a few things you need to know, including choosing your goal (after the update my goal was changed to Fitness Points but you go back to your old setting if you don't like it), and the sync (for notifications you need continuous sync but that will use more battery).

Refer to the manual for TomTom Fitness Age here: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/manual.html
    It tells you where to find the VO2max and Fitness Age amongst other things.

Here are the release notes for my watch: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/watch2015
    This is the previous model and may not apply if you have the newest model.
    Cal Yeo wrote:
    The update is out. I received the update through TomTom Sports Connect and updated the watch firmware yesterday. It works fine, even the notifications (only calls and standard messages though).

There are quite a few things you need to know, including choosing your goal (after the update my goal was changed to Fitness Points but you go back to your old setting if you don't like it), and the sync (for notifications you need continuous sync but that will use more battery).

Refer to the manual for TomTom Fitness Age here: http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/TomTom-Fitness-Age-UM/manual.html
    It tells you where to find the VO2max and Fitness Age amongst other things.

Here are the release notes for my watch: https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/release_notes/type/watch2015
    This is the previous model and may not apply if you have the newest model.
    The release is rolled out in phases. I'll announce it here once it's available for everyone, which should be soon :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • mnkmnk Posts: 36 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I received a notification on my watch that an update is available. However, when I tried to update the watch through mysports connect it doesn't come up
    Hi mnk,

I also see that notification on the Sports app occasionally. I think it's prompted rather randomly to encourage you to connect your device to your computer every once in a while. Sports Connect does some cleaning up on the watch which helps the performance.

As mentioned, I'll announce the update here once it's available for everyone so stay tuned :D

Cheers, Mikko
    Thanks MikkoK

Any updated on when the full roll out will happen?
  • marcduchatmarcduchat Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    can't wait.....
  • cobraninjacobraninja Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    When for Spark 3 in Portugal?
  • KatieGKatieG Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    I guess this explains why it's not showing up on my app (PC). Though, the Australian site says that it's available. Are you able to tell me if us Aussie's can get the update yet? Like I said, if I go to the update release notes on the Australian TomTom site it says it's available. Just not when I plug my watch into the computer (Adventurer)
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,660 Superusers
    KatieG wrote:
    I guess this explains why it's not showing up on my app (PC). Though, the Australian site says that it's available. Are you able to tell me if us Aussie's can get the update yet? Like I said, if I go to the update release notes on the Australian TomTom site it says it's available. Just not when I plug my watch into the computer (Adventurer)

Everyone will get it eventually. It is a staged rollout, being released in increments to allow them to monitor issues. They released to 5% this week and will do more next week and the week after if there are no major problems. Last I heard they are looking at the end of the month for full rollout. There is nothing you can do to make it come faster, we just have to wait our turn.
  • KatieGKatieG Posts: 5 [Master Traveler]
    Thanks. I thought as much. I guess I'm just too impatient. Ha ha ha.
    Cheers
    So from us as users, how would we know when the update had come through to my device? Will I get a notification or an email?
    mnk wrote:
    So from us as users, how would we know when the update had come through to my device? Will I get a notification or an email?
    There'll probably be some emails about this as well but those are usually sent out a couple of weeks after release. I'll announce all releases here so stay tuned :D

If you want a notification you could e.g. subscribe to this topic. I'll update it as well when the release is out.

Cheers, Mikko
  • cobraninjacobraninja Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Keep running, or what you do, and one day you will have the update surprise :D
  • vokergvokerg Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    New update is horrible. My device turned to useless now. I'm serious. Today the watch just stopped in the middle of the run - no trace of training in the history. Hearth rate works incorrectly in cycling mode. The battery died yesterday just one day after full recharge. In cycling mode total time is the same as active time (stops are not considered).

Am I the unlucky one or the problems are common?
  • chris-frchris-fr Posts: 41 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    It seems like its not gonna be released soon as some users reported some bugs linked to the HR sensor and the battery... :( I hope they will manage to maintain their deadline
    Hi vokerg,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm sorry to hear of your issue! It sounds like something's gone wrong with the installation. I'd recommend you to factor reset your watch as instructed in this FAQ [support FAQ - Factory reset].

Cheers, Mikko
  • TazynleeTazynlee Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I love the fact that TomTom decided to create workouts for the watch as it helps me push myself - I was so excited to try a workout today for the first time but found it to be rather distracting as there is no indication of when to switch pace /heart rate zones other then than the watch vibrating- I found I had to keep looking at my watch to see which zone I needed to be in which was distracting- I love this feature but it would really be awesome if there could be some audio input stating what zone we need to run/cycle - so that we don’t have to keep looking at the watch to see what we need to do- there is room for improvement but loving the software updates so far.