Sync without Android app?

NoctuolaNoctuola Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
Given that the ability of my Runner 3 to sync with my phone (and, from there, the website) has deteriorated from 100% in May, when I bought it, to pretty much zero in recent weeks, I'm wondering whether it would be possible to use the watch without bothering with the app at all. Will the watch automatically sync with Tomtom Sports (and from there, Strava etc.) if I connect it to my computer and start Tomtom Sports Connect?

I honestly wouldn't miss the app at all; it looks as though it was designed for ten-year-olds, routinely crashes when I open it, and no longer manages to sync in any case. Uninstalling it would be no loss at this rate.

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,190 [Superusers]
    The app is completely optional. Syncing by computer is actually the better option as it is faster and more reliable and ensures you have the latest updates. I have never synced through the app. I sync through my computer and use the MySports website to view and analyze my activities. If I want to use the app to view my activities, progress, etc. I can as it updates as soon as I upload it MySports.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • NoctuolaNoctuola Posts: 19 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Thanks for your reply! Do I have to turn off syncing through the app in some way, and if so where? Or doesn't it matter? I.e. will the watch sync when I connect it to the computer regardless of whether the most recent ttbin was already sent to the app but failed to be uploaded to the website from there?
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,190 [Superusers]
    The app and computer are either/or, so if you sync through the app you cannot sync again through the computer. If you forget the device in the app and in your phone's BT settings it will not try to sync, the app will just be able to view activities.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Thanks again!
  • xray79xray79 Posts: 160 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Noctuola wrote:
    Thanks again!
    you can mix the app and webpage as tfarabaugh already mentioned. But is the phone paired and will it not sync or can you not pair the phone and watch?

Did you update the app on the phone and what phone and OS are you using? You can try to do the following if phone doesn't pair:

Dock watch and accept SW updates (SW version should be 1.3.255)
    On the phone, uninstall app, then go to Bluetooth settings and forget watch [essential step!]
    Turn phone off and on
    Install app again
    Ensure app has good Internet access
    Undock watch and initiate pair new on watch
    Start app and follow connection instruction
    On Android 6, make sure that Location services is enabled in the phone settings
    The PIN request may show in the notification bar, on some phones

Are you using Garmin Connect or the Fitbit app, as they may interfere with MySports. Known issues with some phone models are listed https://uk.support.tomtom.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/23003/

If the syncing is the issue you can try this instead:
    Make sure to have a working connection (try wifi and mobile)
    Check that the latest version of the app is installed
    The PIN request may show in the notification bar, on some phones
    Remove all Bluetooth devices in the phone settings
    Search for the watch again, using the app
    Try again if unsuccessful
    If still failing:
    Remove the app
    Restore factory defaults on the watch
    Remove the BT devices again
    Restart the phone, then reinstall the app
    Pair with the watch from the phone settings
    Try via the app once more

if this doesn't help you can contact customer support to see if they can help.
    The watch was paired with my phone (Galaxy S7 running Nougat) and the ttbins did end up in the folder where they were supposed to be, but my activities weren't showing up either in the app or on the website. Thanks for those detailed instructions, but I've chosen to just uninstall the app entirely and sync to my computer from now on. All that unpairing and repairing and uninstalling and reinstalling and factory resetting is a lot of trouble to go to for an app that consistently crashes every time I try to open it (BTW: yes, I did have the most recent version installed) and that I find somewhat annoying anyway for its puerile design and its insistence on giving me pointless information like "your last run was slower than average". (Duh -- it was a long run aimed at building my cardio base.) It's much easier to dispense with it entirely, and I can live with the fact that my activities won't show up on Strava until I get back to my computer. What with syncing becoming slower and slower in recent weeks and now having stopped entirely, it was taking that long in any case!