TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

Queensferry Crossing-Missing bridge v995

Comments

• DaveThomsonDaveThomson Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    despite all the discussion on here, TomTom don't even have the decency to post any form of proper reply. Well,, looks like it will be hitting them in the pocket. The local papers have picked it up and Facebook is brimming with people saying they will never but tom-tom again. Plenty of suggestions on this thread about how quickly and easily tom-tom could have done a temporary resolution and still you refuse to implement it. I for one will also be off soon. Anyone recommend a decent iPhone app for sat nav that doesn't rely on a network connection i.e. the maps are downloaded to the phone? http://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/trendingacrossscotland/15528746.Motorists_aghast_as_Tom_Tom_sat_navs_fail_to_recognise_new_Forth_bridge_sending_motorists_on_lengthy_detours/
  • rogerblackrogerblack Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    November?! What are you playing at, this has been planned for years and the opening date announce yonks ago. How come you manage to show the FRB as closed already but not the QC as opened? Even MyDrive has it wrong - "The smartest route planner" now looks like "the dumbest . . ." and TomTom now looking like a bunch of amateurs in the press:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15530894.Video_Tom_Tom_looks_to_improve_after_admitting_its_sat_navs_will_not_recognise_new_Forth_bridge_till_November/

Time you got your act together, TomTom, this is making you look amateurish and foolish.
    http://www.bordertelegraph.com/news/15528746.Motorists_aghast_as_Tom_Tom_sat_navs_fail_to_recognise_new_Forth_bridge_sending_motorists_on_lengthy_detours/?ref=rl&lp=1
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,501 Superuser
    Help others identify useful content :- - If someone posted something that was helpful? Click the Like button 👍

If someone answered the question you asked? Answer Yes to "Did this answer the question? Yes · No"
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi all,

Thanks for all your feedback here!

I can very well understand that finding major roads and intersections missing from our latest map doesn't raise confidence in our products. This is something we've been working on improving for quite a while now, but as map creation and maintenance is technically very complicated it takes some time before the fruits of our work reach our customers. The spearhead of that work is going on in the Automotive business and their work on Real-time maps. The latest on that front is currently being showcased at the IAA in Frankfurt.

In general, major intersections and roads are essentially present within our database within days after (or even before) these sections actually open. Where we still have work to do is delivering these changes to our customers in a timely manner that is closure to their expectations. Currently the consumer product map releases take place every three months and - depending on the timing of the construction - it might take a while before the change reaches a map release. In case of the Queensferry bridge, to my knowledge the bridge wasn't open until in the end of August. The latest v995 map was released August 17th. Also compiling each release from the internal database snapshot takes quite some time.

This being said, we know our customers expect more and we're working hard to improve things.

Cheers, Mikko
  • rogerblackrogerblack Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Although as you say the crossing has only recently been opened, it has been in the making for over six years and the planned opening date was announced well before your last update. Even my printed atlases, produced some time ago, have both shown.

However what is making the situation much worse than it needs be is that because of traffic updates on your route planning currently showing the ‘old’ bridge as being closed, preventing its use, it is rerouting everyone via the Kincardine Bridge or Clackmannanshire Crossing many miles away. Since the new bridge runs parallel to the ‘old’ bridge, wouldn’t it be better just to allow the traffic update/routing to show the old bridge as still being open? There is absolutely no danger of drivers actually going on the old bridge as the signage and road connections on both sides now only allow access via the new crossing. This sort of thing happens all the time with new sections of roads e.g. the M1, M6, M8/M74 etc where the TomTom may appear to show us driving through fields for a short distance then picks up again as soon as the road realigns with the existing route - you don't show the old route as 'closed' preventing anyone going anywhere near. I would suggest that removing the route closed flagging from the old bridge will cause far less inconvenience and confusion than the current status.

Meanwhile it is to be hoped that some priority will be given to a map update well before the existing routine schedule, since the negative PR in the media can only harm TomTom's business by putting off new customers as well as pissing off existing previously loyal users.
    Cheers
    Roger
  • ShellbyGriffShellbyGriff Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    In general, major intersections and roads are essentially present within our database within days after (or even before) these sections actually open. Where we still have work to do is delivering these changes to our customers in a timely manner that is closure to their expectations. Currently the consumer product map releases take place every three months and - depending on the timing of the construction - it might take a while before the change reaches a map release. In case of the Queensferry bridge, to my knowledge the bridge wasn't open until in the end of August. The latest v995 map was released August 17th. Also compiling each release from the internal database snapshot takes quite some time.

Mikkok as the Truck and Camper versions of v995 maps have not been released does this mean that the Queenferry bridge will be included on them when they are released. Also do you have a release date for them?
  • trucker6000trucker6000 Posts: 149 [Master Explorer]
    Is the queensferry crossing on the map yet, as I may be going that way next week?
  • MaverickScotMaverickScot Posts: 5 [Master Explorer]
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi all,

This being said, we know our customers expect more and we're working hard to improve things.

Cheers, Mikko

So other than developing new software which I suspect could be still years in development what are you working hard on now to help in the Queensferry Crossing problems?
    Is the queensferry crossing on the map yet, as I may be going that way next week?

Currently you would be routed via the Kincardine Bridge as Tomtom shows the Forth Road Bridge is closed.
  • trucker6000trucker6000 Posts: 149 [Master Explorer]
    Probably the new M8 eurocentral road wont be on the map either so driving across the grass again according to the satnav
  • damoqdamoq Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I agree with what others have said. If the QC won't be on our devices till November, at least remove the FRB closure so it's not trying to route you via Kincardine Br. It's not possible to end up on the FRB anyway.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    damoq wrote:
    I agree with what others have said. If the QC won't be on our devices till November, at least remove the FRB closure so it's not trying to route you via Kincardine Br. It's not possible to end up on the FRB anyway.
    Is this what you mean? The road work doesn't affect routing.
    b30d4799-268c-4d93-9e50-d209629d6b89.png

Cheers, Mikko
    Yes. The new QC runs almost parallel with the old FRB. The current road layout and physical barriers means it's probably 100% impossible to end up on the old FRB by following your device anyway. The original approach roads take you onto the QC, so our devices will show us driving in water for a bit, but will be back on the route once you've crossed the bridge. Hopefully this google map screenshot explains what I mean.
  • DaveThomsonDaveThomson Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks for removing the blocking of the forth road bridge. This at least allows some sort of navigation via the new bridge right next to it rather than a fifty mile diversion until we hopefully get a proper map update
    This is good news and thank you for removing the block.
  • DavidALDavidAL Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Oh, they've only had six years whilst the new bridge was under construction to plan a timely update - give Tom Tom a chance!
  • DavidALDavidAL Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Okay, you have taken the old FORTH ROAD BRIDGE away, even though it is still there. And when the workmen finish reshaping the the approach roads will be open to public transport, taxis, cyclists and pedestrians. You have transferred the name of the old bridge to the new Queensferry Crossing - this is not the Forth Road Bridge at all. You've only had six years to prepare for this change whilst the new bridge was being built. As others have commented, Google Maps has this showing correctly. Tom Tom could do better.
    Updated my map to European Truck v9.96 and Queensferry crossing is still missing. Although the new section of the M8 between Easterhouse and Newhouse is on it, along with the New junctions. ?
  • downtheslopedowntheslope Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Totally ridiculous.... spent 2 days (yes 2 days) updating maps after getting additional SD card to take update only to find still no bridge....... it can be seen from space its so big ....

I then search tomtom questions... nothing regarding it in search

only then on a general net search do i find this forum.... how can the biggest north south link in eastern Scotland be missed off / not planned in and left for over 6 + months as 'missing'... hopeless
  • safehavensafehaven Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I assume the Queensferry Crossing has still not been added correctly to TOMTOM maps? I was looking to update an old TOMTOM unit with a single map update but there is no point if the Queensferry Crossing is not being displayed correctly as a viable route option. How can TOMTOM claim to have the 'Latest Maps' when Google Maps was updated with the Queensferry Crossing months ago? I was looking to take advantage of the November Voucher code but what's the point if I'm buying an outdated map?
  • [Gelöschter Benutzer][Gelöschter Benutzer] Posts: 5,321 [Supreme Navigator]
    b2481a59-18a1-4f5c-9950-28929cd6a801.jpg
  • Dave91Dave91 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    Still no update on this? I have the latest maps and updates from Today 02/01/2018 and still no Queensferry Crossing! This is becoming a joke.
  • linebreakerlinebreaker Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think by this point we have to assume that TomTom aren't going to update the map with this bridge. November came and went and it didn't happen.

Instead they're clearly focused on building their 'real time maps' product. Based on how they've dealt with this issue I've little confidence that they have the technical expertise and skillset to deliver in real time, so good luck to anyone to ends up forking over for that product, whenever it launches.

This leaves us with the option to carry on using these devices despite being incorrect, or find an alternative product. I've no interest in continuing to pay them for maps which are out of date, I don't think they've got the people and technical know-how to prevent something like this happening again, and so I'll be doing the latter.
  • jak68jak68 Posts: 77 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    We have the same issue with Tomtom over the Mersey Gateway :rage:
    User currently very dissatisfied with lack of map updates for major road changes!!!!!
  • Dave91Dave91 Posts: 4 [Master Traveler]
    So...New big map update over 6GB in size and still no Queensferry crossing. This is making me consider buying a Garmin instead! absolutely pathetic that we pay £100's of pounds for something that is no where near up with the times same as Bing Maps, Google Map, Garmin, Even some of the rout planner apps have been updated