New watches coming out

Ziggy50Ziggy50 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what the next TomTom model might be and when it could be. I know you probably won't know for certain but any info would be great. Would you even know when it would be out based on what has happened before. Are we due another watch soon...? Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,625 Superusers
    According to news reports, TomTom is rethinking their strategy in the sports market so a new device might not be in the works:

https://www.wareable.com/tomtom/tomtom-wearables-sports-step-back-bandit-2-585

In any case, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Ziggy50Ziggy50 Posts: 9 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you for the detailed post. Based on what they have released before when would the next one be due if there was going to be one?
  • ItsIllakItsIllak Posts: 18 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Frequency historically has been between 11 and 15 months.
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    According to news reports, TomTom is rethinking their strategy in the sports market so a new device might not be in the works:

https://www.wareable.com/tomtom/tomtom-wearables-sports-step-back-bandit-2-585

In any case, TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see.

I hope this helps, please let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
    Thanks for sharing this! Here's a re-take on this: https://www.wareable.com/tomtom/tomtom-boss-meet-the-boss-2397

Cheers, Mikko
  • icemacicemac Posts: 199 [Legendary Explorer]
    So, we are waiting for news :)
    I would think since the article specifically talks about the focus on software that new hardware may be pushed back further (if at all, based on the first article). For the moment they seem to be focused on the software and experience side and getting the most use out of the existing lineup. Honestly, in today's crowded marketplace, they are way behind in the hardware realm (look at the Garmin Vivoactive 3, which is in the same price range but feature wise is incomparable) and would need to really rethink the whole device strategy to be competitive. Another rehash of the Spark model is not going to cut it I think.
  • TeebobeeboTeebobeebo Posts: 8 [Master Explorer]
    Though still no music stored on the new Garmin.... that's a big miss....
  • XherdanXherdan Posts: 26 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I think it is hard for TomTom Sports to improve the hardware of its sportwatchs because all its products available on the market have already all the sensors that matter on board: Bluetooth, Accelerometer, GPS, Compass and Cardio. Then TomTom last year released Adventurer which has barometric altimeter which gives you further infos about several outdoor activities. It is hard to add other useful sensors! So in my opinion, talking about hardware, TomTom has nothing less than competitors: The "battle" with other business competitor is on the software side.
    Nowadays, the difference with the others is on the eco-system which is quite basic but at the same time more user-friendly. In my opinion TomTom has to work in that direction to cover the gap.
    Don't forget that TomTom is quite new in the area of wearables.
  • kent davieskent davies Posts: 91 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    You are right Xherdan.

Hardware is almost the same to the competitors. Main differences will be on the software side and at this point, TomTom is still behind. Phone notifications are just an example. TomTom is offering now what some competitors started offering 2 years ago.

Another problem is the know how. Some competitors already have the know how so fewer man hours to develop/provide software features thus sports watches become more affordable and are packed with features (software).
  • XherdanXherdan Posts: 26 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I am totally agree with you kent davies.
    On the software side, TomTom is still behind but I think that the collaboration with companies like FirstBeat and LifeQ, 2 big providers of physiological analytics for fitness, is going to help TomTom Sports in its growth.
    For example, TomTom's Wrist Heart-Rate Monitor is one of the most accurate available on the wearable market thanks to the collaboration with LifeQ.
    Now TomTom with personalized workouts and VO2 max is improved significantly.
  • MachMach Posts: 89 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    I think hardware is where TomTom keeps lagging far far behind. Color screen, high screen resolution, modern look, long working time, charging while performing an activity, WiFi, NFC payments (Fitbit+Garmin) is something that the current range of TomTom sportswatch don't have. The big advantage of TT is still music on the wrist and honestly at present that's the only big advantage, but Fitbit Ionic is coming in October and you can imagine what may happen then.

In terms of software it's pretty much the same but we've seen huge improvements in the past months and I'm pretty confident within the next half a year TT will reduce the gap a lot.

I really hope that the new range will bring the same revolution in terms of hardware as we's seen for the software part.
  • memphis_ESPmemphis_ESP Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Mach wrote:
    I think hardware is where TomTom keeps lagging far far behind. Color screen, high screen resolution, modern look, long working time, charging while performing an activity, WiFi, NFC payments (Fitbit+Garmin) is something that the current range of TomTom sportswatch don't have. The big advantage of TT is still music on the wrist and honestly at present that's the only big advantage, but Fitbit Ionic is coming in October and you can imagine what may happen then.

In terms of software it's pretty much the same but we've seen huge improvements in the past months and I'm pretty confident within the next half a year TT will reduce the gap a lot.

I really hope that the new range will bring the same revolution in terms of hardware as we's seen for the software part.
    My opinion:
    Color screen > aesthetically, but unnecessary.
    high screen resolution > for following the tracks??
    modern look > I agree, but that means leaving the existing base and to risk having failures. And this model works well and it is different from others.
    long working time > adventurer model: 24h autonomy GPS:2s
    charging while performing an activity > for what?
    WiFi > for what?
    NFC payments > smartphone is enough

Tomtom has a good product and I think they should focus on giving us the improvements software we ask for here.
  • Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Just change the look of the watch!
    Now it is so bulky and.... square!
    Make it round (like a watch), add some buttons (not this awful 'joystick')!

All the sensors and options avaible are ok and they work fine (they do the job) - I use Garmin, Fitbit, Gear S3 and TT isn't and worse in this field.
    And hm.... colour screen would be noce these days :-)
  • memphis_ESPmemphis_ESP Posts: 11 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Krzysiek17 wrote:

All the sensors and options avaible are ok and they work fine (they do the job) - I use Garmin, Fitbit, Gear S3 and TT isn't and worse in this field.

Bulky??? Do you think the garmin 235 or 935 is smaller??
  • MachMach Posts: 89 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    My opinion:
    Color screen > aesthetically, but unnecessary.
    high screen resolution > for following the tracks??
    modern look > I agree, but that means leaving the existing base and to risk having failures. And this model works well and it is different from others.
    long working time > adventurer model: 24h autonomy GPS:2s
    charging while performing an activity > for what?
    WiFi > for what?
    NFC payments > smartphone is enough

Tomtom has a good product and I think they should focus on giving us the improvements software we ask for here.
    - Color screen is necessary - it's 21st century! Have you seen what the real-time HR graph looks like when it's only black and white? You can convey far more information by only adding color. If maps are introduced - how do you want to show them without colors?
    - High screen resolution - did you know that in one of the European languages one of the names for HR zones cannot be displayed due to too many letters? Letters can be made smaller if they look good, but you need higher resulution for that. TT is working on a workaround, but if you cannot provide standard functionalities due to low screen resolution, then it's time to leave the old technology behind. For high screen resolution you can fit way more information, e.g. fit a whole SMS on the screen and far far more. You cannot develop software if hardware is your limitation.
    - modern look - the current base is obsolete. This will not sell well anymore.
    - long working time - should be available for all watches, not only for the Adventurer. Different GPS accuracy should be a standard option
    - charging while during an activity - needed for long activities. Imagine high screen resolution+map being shown on the watch and high GPS accuracy while your ultra run. Standard battery life may not be sufficient.
    - WIFi - you need a PC to update the software of the watch. You need a PC to upload music to your watch. You still don't see why WiFi should be available?
    - NFC - why do you then use a watch if you can bring your mobile with you and use 3rd party appps to give you the same functionality as your watch gives? NFC on the watch is very useful - e.g. you go for a 15 mile run and it gets hot. You are thirsty and want to buy a bottle of water - you can pay with your watch. You don't need to carry a phone every single time with you.

Apple has just added LTE in their new Apple Watch Series 3 and I also think this should be standard in sports watches (and also a camera). Lots of cheap Android Wear watches offer such functionalities.

With all of the above, I still think Spark 2/3 are good value for money watches. In the future we will need something significantly different though - the world is changing.
  • Krzysiek17Krzysiek17 Posts: 51 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Krzysiek17 wrote:

Bulky??? Do you think the garmin 235 or 935 is smaller??

Perhaps it is not smaller (I also have Gear S3 so I know what I'm talking about) but the general shape + the joystick of the watch is something that I (and a lot of people) don't like.
    It makes TT watch look bulky, square (call it however you want) and not attractive to wear all day long.
  • Snakebiter71Snakebiter71 Posts: 26 [Outstanding Explorer]
    I know hindsight is a wonderful thing, but looking back I feel the purchase of my Runner 3 was perhaps the worst thing I could have done.

There have been constant issues with it, and whilst I can live with the odd problem here and there as they are soon forgotten, it is the constant unreliability of the common functions, most notably the HRM that I find insufferable.

The software side is not really an issue, although I believe the phone app could be a lot more engaging and fun, something I see on my partners fitbit.

By the sounds of it Tom Tom realise they are massively behind the curve and don't want to play catch up, hence the possible non release of new product.

This will mean no support or further updates of existing product.
  • SimonP82SimonP82 Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    I was given Runner 3 for Xmas present and frankly love the device. Sur at the mo I have some connectivity issues but this will be resolved.
    I'm hoping TomTom will renter wearables place when it's ready. I'm fine with this watch for like 2-3 years so yeah. There is still time
    SimonP82 wrote:
    I was given Runner 3 for Xmas present and frankly love the device. Sur at the mo I have some connectivity issues but this will be resolved.
    I'm hoping TomTom will renter wearables place when it's ready. I'm fine with this watch for like 2-3 years so yeah. There is still time
    It is not going to happen. Once a company decides to leave a market, lays off their staff and takes a loss for it, they are not going to come back in a few years. it doesn't work that way unfortunately. TT had some decent technology, but it was too far behind the market and simply could not compete with Garmin except on price and selling on price alone is not how you make it in any business.