Rider 450 does not connect to phone anymore. — TomTom Community

Rider 450 does not connect to phone anymore.

NotABotNotABot Posts: 5
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi all,

After I set up my phone and Tomtom Rider 450 to use the traffic information and speed cams I was able to use it without any issues, even after updating the Rider to 17.2.
That is until today. Now the Rider keeps connecting/disconnecting and I cannot use the mobile services. Important note is that I did not update my phone or rider in the meantime.

I already tried the following:

Remove the paired phone and pair it again. This did not work.
Restore factory settings on the Rider and pair the phone again. This did not work.
Try to connect to a different phone. This does not work either.

So in short: without changing anything to the phone/Rider it cannot connect to any phone anymore. Anybody else with this problem?
To be fair: I'm not looking for an answer regarding "Do a soft/hard reset of your phone". That is not how this problem should be solved. It worked before without any issues so it should work again. If that means shipping the Tomtom to the Tomtom service department then that's what I will do.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi NotABot,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, we've been lately receiving similar feedback from others as well. We're investigating this and working hard to find a solution as soon as possible.

As you already seem to have done quite some troubleshooting, I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko
  • 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    Please note, that the issue is not only related to the 450 but also to 410.
  • NotABotNotABot Posts: 5
    MikkoK wrote:
    Hi NotABot,

Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, we've been lately receiving similar feedback from others as well. We're investigating this and working hard to find a solution as soon as possible.

As you already seem to have done quite some troubleshooting, I'd recommend you to contact Customer Service for further assistance.

Cheers, Mikko

Hi Mikko,

Thanks for the tip. I already contacted my retailer about this issue. They also advised to contact customer service so I'll do just that.

Cheers!
  • InthewindInthewind Posts: 4 [New Seeker]
    How did it go Not a Bot? My Rider has just done the same (will not pair with my headset or anything else) I have used it regularly for 2 years with no problem. Did CS help at all?

Cheers
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    Turn it off, drink a cold beer, wait for the next moon... It will get fixed by its own...

I doubt that customer support can do anything. What is needed is a better Bluetooth stack.

Mine fixed after some shutdowns of both devices...
    Ste7ios wrote:
    Turn it off, drink a cold beer, wait for the next moon... It will get fixed by its own...

I doubt that customer support can do anything. What is needed is a better Bluetooth stack.

Mine fixed after some shutdowns of both devices...
    I have tried all that several times...especially the cold beer part ;-) But thanks for the advice. Not sure what a better bluetooth would do, the current headset has worked well for 2 years or more and pairs well with other headsets at distance. I might have to use the tomtom as a boat anchor.
  • Ste7iosSte7ios Posts: 747
    Superuser
    Bluetooth stack is a software implementation of the Bluetooth protocol stack.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_stack
    Ste7ios wrote:
    Bluetooth stack is a software implementation of the Bluetooth protocol stack.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_stack
    Thanks Ste7io...I will make sure my device is upto date
  • NotABotNotABot Posts: 5
    Inthewind wrote:
    How did it go Not a Bot? My Rider has just done the same (will not pair with my headset or anything else) I have used it regularly for 2 years with no problem. Did CS help at all?

Cheers
    Well,

After trying to connect to another phone (which did not work) I tried paring it with a third phone. This worked and suddenly it also worked on my own phone again...
    The issue repeated once or twice. The last time it disappeared after I did a firmware update of my phone.
    So in short: a few times it disappeared on its own, one time it disappeared after I updated my phone.
    Most likely not the satisfying answer you were hoping for but it's the best I can do for now.
    NotABot wrote:
    Inthewind wrote:

Cheers
    Well,

After trying to connect to another phone (which did not work) I tried paring it with a third phone. This worked and suddenly it also worked on my own phone again...
    The issue repeated once or twice. The last time it disappeared after I did a firmware update of my phone.
    So in short: a few times it disappeared on its own, one time it disappeared after I updated my phone.
    Most likely not the satisfying answer you were hoping for but it's the best I can do for now.
    Thanks for your answer, much appreciated!
  • Steve14478Steve14478 Posts: 1 [Novice Seeker]
    Tom Tom,
    Like others here, used my rider last summer no problems with same phone, took bike out first time for 6 months and can't connect.
    Have reset and updated the 450, cleared cache on phone but still nothing.
    Really fed up with this, I either want my money back or it fixed.
    Please advise, wait your response.
    Steve