Question for Soft reset on Rider 400 — TomTom Community

Question for Soft reset on Rider 400

Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
edited January 2019 in RIDER
Hi, just a bit confused about the soft reset and what it is suppose to do. I have done what is stated in the video but it just seems to be like a normal hard start up and is ready to go straight away so why does it recommend that you charge the gps for 2 hrs prior?

Comments

• 954dk954dk Posts: 292 [Master Traveler]
    I think the intention from Tomtom is:

* Calibrate the display to avoid activation by water drops
    * Clear "Hoarse Voice" issues
    * Dry out the housing and thereby avoiding screen condensation
    * Overall boot up speed optimization (device will boot and be useable in less than 2 minutes)
    * Clearing cache

I bet, the fact is a partial cache optimization and a fully charged battery :D
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Sorry, probably did not make my self clear but what I am asking why is it called a soft reset when to me it just seems like a normal cold start up because once you start it up you can use it as normal. That is also why I queried why there needs to be at least 2 hrs charge. Are you suppose to leave the unit on for 2 hrs?
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Paul,

Resetting your device as described in the video you posted indeed does a cold start. Most people just let their devices to go to Stand by when they're not using it to be able to quicker resume using it again. In some rare cases this might cause some problems on the software side which reset usually solves.

When cold starting your device, it needs to start up all the systems. This is rather resource intensive process which is why we recommend to make sure your device is fully charged when resetting it.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Paul.R.F.Paul.R.F. Posts: 99 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Thank you very much for that explanation. Makes total sense now.
  • gcantegcante Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi, I have the same issue with my TomTom Rider 40. The touch screen works partially (only on a limited area) and Iwould like to reset deeply the device to chek if it restore the normal functionality. But as mentioned by other user, with the procedure stated in the video, it seems only normal cold start. Is there a deeper reset procedure which includes a touch screen calibration?
    Thanks in advance, G