Pace on Runner cardio — TomTom Community

Pace on Runner cardio

TechnotorskTechnotorsk Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
edited January 2019 in Runner & Multi-Sport
Hi there I am from Denmark so forgive me if I make spelling errors.
My question: when I run I regularly check my current speed/pace, but I feel the speed on my watch display (tomtom runner cardio) takes a long time to adjust. Even when I start an downhill or uphill run where the pace is clearly different. And yes I am not monitoring the average speed display?.
My old watch was a garmin 205 and that watch changes the speed shown almost instantly.

Can someone plz tell me why my tomtom is so slow compared to my old garmin.

Thx in advance

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,816
    Superusers
    If you search the forums you ill see this is a very common question. No watch has true "instant pace", it is all computed in arrears and is a balance between responsiveness and smoothness. A longer lag time gives you smoother data but is slow to react. A short lag time gets faster responsiveness but choppier data. TomTom is slow to react to changes in pace because it applies a long smoothing period to produce smooth, non-choppy data. If you are running at a fairly steady pace you will not notice the lag. However, if you are doing intervals or sprints or changing speed a lot the lag can be become more apparent and makes running by pace very difficult. This has been a complaint since the first version of the watch was released 4+ years ago and really has not changed much, so I would not expect much to change now. If this is a vital feature for you and you are within your return period you may want to look at other devices that offer this option now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • MattNoonAUMattNoonAU Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    No idea why they never got this sorted out better but I have it set to 1km intervals and then run the watch using that function (the one before calories) to get an accurate estimate of pace.
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online in this Category0