Active time/total time

Tei
Tei Registered Users Posts: 45
Outstanding Wayfarer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Does anyone know how TomTom MySports connect calculates active time? It clearly is not the time I stay still, but some sort of threshold is used. The GPS positioning seems to be quite accurate, for instance, when looking at the map generated from my yesterday's mountain marathon, it tracked my every move within the rest stops and even within a building, meaning I was active (=moving) during those rest stops.

I found the following online: "Time is classified as “active” when your step rate or motion is above a certain threshold for longer than 10 seconds."

This was for different device, but does TomTom Runner 2 use the same rule? If yes, can the threshold be changed? And how is step rate or motion determined anyway?

I am asking because the total time/active time ratios seem bizarre, so I want to change that threshold. For instance, for yesterday's
marathon TomTom says my active time was 2/3 - 3/4 of the total time, which is certainly very unrealistic given that I was making progress all the time, except during the three rest stops, which were about 5-20 minutes each on the 11-hour run.

Thanks.

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    It looks at cadence when in trail running mode (if you have an Adventurer watch) and speed (based on GPS) when in running mode. So on a Runner 2 it is looking at when you running speed drops below a threshold (I thought it was around 30:00 pace (2 MPH)). There is no way to change the thresholds, they are a system default and it doesn't really work for trail running as it will detect you as paused whenever it loses signal under deep tree cover or if you are climbing steep hills so you are gaining vertical distance but not horizontal distance (which GPS uses). They are introducing a way to turn the pause detection off soon so you can simply turn it off and it will just show your total time (which you want during a race anyway as the race results are based on total clock time).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • Tei
    Tei Registered Users Posts: 45
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    So it is the watch that tracks total vs. active time not the application? That's strange since the watch does not show the active time but only the total. And it is only in the watch where I can see the average pace based on the total time, but the application shows only the average based on the active time. Looking forward to the new update, since 2mph in the grades we have here is way too high!
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    No, this is the logic on the server side, there is nothing done on the watch, which will always detect total time (any time it is not paused). If it is trail running it looks for breaks and drops in cadence to determine where pauses are, if it is running it looks at reductions in speed.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.