Speed Camera (Safety Camera) Android App no longer displays the speed limit for fixed cameras? — TomTom Community

Speed Camera (Safety Camera) Android App no longer displays the speed limit for fixed cameras?

VictorZVictorZ Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited November 2018 in Speed Cameras
Maybe it's my imagination, but my recollection is that in previous versions, the CAMERA speed limit would be displayed in the pop-up alert on screen. Now, the pop-up only shows "Fixed Camera" and does not provide information on the expected speed limit. The speed limit is announced by the voice alert, but my preference is for the plain alert tone. I also note that the color of the pop-up changes as expected through red / orange / green in response to the vehicle speed as compared to the speed limit. So, it seems the information is there, but it's not being displayed as it used to be.

Am I imagining things or is this a "feature" that disappeared? And if the latter, bring it back please!

Of course, if I've just clumsily messed up some sort of setting, a quick slap upside the head and a pointer to the right button is appreciated. :)

Many thanks in advance,
VictorZ

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Victor,

I assume you're using the app in the background mode. There isn't a setting for the speed limit but you could try if the Warning settings make any different to this.

If it's possible for you to provide a screenshot of what you're seeing, that would be looking into this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • VictorZVictorZ Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Mikko,

Thanks for your response. Yes, background mode ... but I'm not sure I made my question clear. I'm not looking for a warning about speeding ... I see that as an option under "Warning / Safety Warnings". This works as expected, even in background mode, but isn't what I'm asking about.

I'm referring to the warning given for speed enforcement cameras. My recollection is that in the first versions I used, the warning display that would pop up when approaching an enforcement camera would also display the speed limit that is being enforced ... which sometimes is different (less) than the marked speed limit, for example, in school or park zones.

In the current version, all speed enforcement cameras are shown as "Fixed Cameras" in the warning ... that's not a problem, they ARE fixed in place on poles after all :) The problem, though, is that the enforced speed limit is not shown any more. I recall the pop up used to show the enforced limit, and a realtime display of the current speed. The color would also change in accordance to speed ... orange if slightly above, red if more than 10 mph above, etc.. The current behavior shows the color changes, but does not tell you what the enforced speed is.

What's odd, is that the app is clearly aware of the enforced speed, since the color changes are correct, and if I enable VOICE PROMPTS rather than a simple alert tone, the voice reads out the enforced speed limit.

I'd like to see the OLD style for the pop up returned if possible. Or, if I'm doing something wrong to cause it to NOT display as I expect, then let me know what my error may be.

I hope this clarifies my request.

Many thanks,
    Victor
  • VictorZVictorZ Posts: 13 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Oh ... and I'll gladly post a screenshot at my next opportunity while driving. Thanks!
  • MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for the explanation!

A screenshot and location information would be very helpful as this could also be a database issue.

Cheers, Mikko
  • East147East147 Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    be aware that Android devices need a mobile connection... If you are using your WiFi connection your mobile / data is hijacked by the WiFi connection meaning TomTom SPEED camera app will NOT be able to access the TomTom servers thus NO live updates.