How long will TomTom take to replace a faulty satnav? — TomTom Community

How long will TomTom take to replace a faulty satnav?

Ramblin' RosaRamblin' Rosa Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
edited January 28 in Travel lounge
I purchased a faulty TomTom satnav device back in February of this year. It failed on me within 2 months. It is now August and I am still without a device, despite numerous emails and telephone calls. I am putting this out on the forum in the hope that it may stimulate a response from TomTom. Wonderful satnavs, but appalling after care!
Any tips on how to get this resolved?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Rosa,

Welcome to the Community!

There seems to be a replacement device on its way to you :D I'll ask Customer Service to provide you with a more detailed update on this.

Cheers, Mikko
  • Ramblin' RosaRamblin' Rosa Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    What should I do now?
    FOUR months (no, now 5 months) after reporting a failure in my Start 62 within 2 months of purchase I am finally at the end of my tether. Whilst most suppliers would have supplied a new replacement product FOC without delay or question, I have gone through the protracted, painful process of attempted repairs, numerous emails and telephone calls with TomTom. Finally, last week (after resorting to this forum to complain) I was promised a FOC device which duly arrived. I was so pleased, at last I could get on with my travels with a working satnav!
    I registered it, linked to my WiFi and my phone. Surprisingly, I was told I needed to update it with 7GB of updates - why if it was a NEW device?
    So, I pressed update and waited and waited and waited.............Now, I have the white screen of death!
    Soft resetting doesn't work, still a white screen with no diagnostic info. Can't reformat as device doesn't show on my windows 10 PC. Reinstalled MyDrive Connect.
    So, after all this hassle, did TomTom value me as a customer and send me a new device or did it consider me too much bother to invest any money/time in and send me a (faulty) reconditioned device?
    The question is:
    A) Do I go to social media and act as an advocate for TomTom, praising them for their customer support in handling my complaint and making me feel valued?
    Or...
    B) Demand that TomTom refunds my original purchase price and go to social media and tell friends, family and all contacts how shabbily I have been treated by TomTom?
    All constructive comments appreciated
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,977 Superusers
    Hi
    Can you only see the White screen... Or can you get to any of the Menus

When you say Soft resetting doesn't work... Do you mean... A Drum roll restart on the device ????

Charge the device for at least 2Hrs "OR" have the device plugged into a power supply
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Thanks for your response, but yes, I've done all the above (experience from an earlier 'repair' from TomTom). Even when holding down for only 5-10 secs after the drum roll or for a minute or two, all I ever get is a total white screen.
    If I could get the device recognised on my PC I would reformat the hard drive on the TomTom but as it's a total blank and nothing I do enables it to show on windows explorer means I cannot reformat.
    ALL helpful suggestions accepted, including how I get TomTom to get me out of this hole
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 14,977 Superusers
    Hi
    Does the device have a Micro SD card fitted ??? If "Yes" Remove it
    See if the device will boot without the Micro SD card

ATB YFM
    Help others identify useful content...
    If someone posted something that was helpful?
    Click the 'Like' > 👍 Icon

If someone answered your question?
    Please answer 'Yes' to Did this answer the question? 'Yes' < >' No'
    Nice to know they're still the uncaring company as portrayed on the MB (mercedes benz) forums.

Typical big company meanness in not sending you a latest model after appaullingly keeping you waiting for 5 month's - utterly despicable!
  • pinballpinball Posts: 8 [Legendary Explorer]
    Personally, I'd insist on a full refund if you can get it, as its probably been superseded by an updated model by now.
    Then buy another from a high st retailer so you don't have to go through all this hassle again with so-called after care service, just take it back for a refund and buy another again if necessary till your completely satisfied.

TomToms are generally excellent devices and still knock the competition for 6 - But the management stinks!
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 7,991 TomTom Moderator
    What should I do now?
    FOUR months (no, now 5 months) after reporting a failure in my Start 62 within 2 months of purchase I am finally at the end of my tether. Whilst most suppliers would have supplied a new replacement product FOC without delay or question, I have gone through the protracted, painful process of attempted repairs, numerous emails and telephone calls with TomTom. Finally, last week (after resorting to this forum to complain) I was promised a FOC device which duly arrived. I was so pleased, at last I could get on with my travels with a working satnav!
    I registered it, linked to my WiFi and my phone. Surprisingly, I was told I needed to update it with 7GB of updates - why if it was a NEW device?
    So, I pressed update and waited and waited and waited.............Now, I have the white screen of death!
    Soft resetting doesn't work, still a white screen with no diagnostic info. Can't reformat as device doesn't show on my windows 10 PC. Reinstalled MyDrive Connect.
    So, after all this hassle, did TomTom value me as a customer and send me a new device or did it consider me too much bother to invest any money/time in and send me a (faulty) reconditioned device?
    The question is:
    A) Do I go to social media and act as an advocate for TomTom, praising them for their customer support in handling my complaint and making me feel valued?
    Or...
    B) Demand that TomTom refunds my original purchase price and go to social media and tell friends, family and all contacts how shabbily I have been treated by TomTom?
    All constructive comments appreciated

Sorry to hear about the on the replacement device. I can assure you that we will never send a faulty device as a replacement.

I have sent a heads up to the customer service about this. They should get back to you offering further assistance.

Regards
    Vikram
    Have a question? Ask!
    Did a reply resolve your query, please mark it as answer!
    Try the search; the information you are looking for could already be available.
  • Ramblin' RosaRamblin' Rosa Posts: 6 [Master Traveler]
    The saga goes on....
    I was hoping for some form of resolution as this had been reportedly escalated to a supervisor but no... a 'cut and paste' answer, no real apology, no refund and a not so polite 'go away' and read our T&Cs!!!!
    I am tearing my hair out......5 months now and still no working device and all I've got to look forward to is another repair/reconditioned/second hand device.
    What other supplier supports it's customers by giving them a second hand product to replace a faulty product???
    The products may be good, QC is suspect, but the customer service is appalling.
    What can I do to get TomTom to listen??
    Help..........
  • Disappointed 2Disappointed 2 Posts: 6 [Master Explorer]
    Dear Rosa,

Your problems with TomTom make mine look so minor, I do hope that it is sorted out for you.

Best wishes, Geoffrey.