POI with customised images and user defined warning sounds, will it ever happen?

Hi TomTom,

Just wondering if there was any positive news on this frequently asked question where we can use our own custom images for display on driving view along with the ability to set an audible alert?

I'm sure TomTom people read other forums especially respected ones like PocketGPS World and realise you are losing customers to Garmin on a regular basis because of this, especially now the focus is back on navigation devices rather general sports wears.

I assume if the next software update doesn't contain at least some of this functionality (adding own bmp files) then this will never appear on Nav 4/5 devices especially as the ability to add POI (with very limited functionality) first appeared a couple of updates ago.

Here's hoping for some positive news as I don't really want to buy a Garmin but I do ask for more functionality than we currently have.

Best

Brucey

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 [Retired Community Staff Employee]
    Hi Brucey,

Thanks for your feedback!

Unfortunately, there's not much concrete I can say at this point. As you know, in general we don't communicate about future releases in order to avoid raising expectations we might not be able to fulfill.

The feature released in the v17.100 update was in response to the great demand to show custom POIs on the map while driving. There's indeed still room for further improvement of this feature. As I'm not aware of the plans of the team regarding this - nor could I communicate them here - I'm logging all feedback to help the team assess the best way forward. It should also be noted that importing icons is not a trivial matter technically and it could take the team some time to come up with a solution.

And of course I'm announcing all updates here so stay tuned :D

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,364 [Superuser]
    @MikkoK

If ALL these can be implemented on a VIO which must be using the same basic NavKit then why cant they be implemented on the NAV4/5 devices?
    57df4f93-8f5e-456d-811c-f5b6a833bcc5.jpg1543c2c3-6657-41fb-a2a2-8426ae24e112.jpg11f94118-062f-4f46-93b1-ad4ba4efba24.jpg60cf55fc-6f7a-44ce-99fe-005cec6efe03.jpg
    Hi Niall,

The VIO app and device software are indeed based on NavKit as well. The POI implementation, however, is the same (except that VIO doesn't support importing custom POIs). I believe you're quoting the page from the manual where all the POI categories are listed. The same page is on the other manuals as well, e.g. here for the GO Wi-Fi® devices. These are the POI categories you can use when searching for POIs on these devices and apps. You can also view these icons on the map when searching for them.

Cheers, Mikko
  • bruceybrucey Posts: 155 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi MikkoK,

Thank you for your quick and honest reply.

But there are additional images displayed on the rider and professional so I can't believe it's that difficult to have a bmp (with size limitations) displayed on driving view.

I hope TomTom does consider these requests carefully because the day Garmin traffic is on a par with TomTom then I think you lose even more customers certainly in the PND/smart phone market.

Thanks for listening.

Brucey
    Hi Brucey,

That's a good point. However, displaying and importing icons are technically two very different things. While we can indeed already show some preinstalled icons on the map, to do this for custom icons in a reliable and customer friendly way is a different matter and not a trivial task to develop.

Cheers, Mikko
  • NiallNiall Posts: 10,364 [Superuser]
    @Mikkok

May be we could use those predefined POI icons but with a different colour?
  • CristianDeluxeCristianDeluxe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    That's why I haven't bought the new TomTom Go 520 / 5200 yet.

I will continue with my XXL until I can add the custom pois with sound warnings and icons on the new models, here in Spain going on the road without knowing the radars is not feasible.
  • mrtmsmithmrtmsmith Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Just as a thought before I buy one and try it, could I put a microSD in my device (it has the slot) with the POI files and the BMP image on?
  • EthoZEthoZ Posts: 2,515 [Exalted Navigator]
    mrtmsmith wrote:
    Just as a thought before I buy one and try it, could I put a microSD in my device (it has the slot) with the POI files and the BMP image on?
    You can but without any effect.
  • HenkSpeedyHenkSpeedy Posts: 3 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have the same problem. The big question in this, why can I upload my own POI with his own bmp to my old START25 and not to my new (1 year old) GO520. If I knew about this issue I did NOT buy this system, I still need to work with my "old" start 25. I dependent of it for my work.
    So the skills were there bud now .......
  • CristianDeluxeCristianDeluxe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Now my Tomtom XXL is no longer supported, there won't be any new map updates... I'd buy the 520 tomorrow morning if you could put personalised pois with warnings, for now we'll keep waiting or look at options from other companies.

VERY BAD TOMTOM :rage::thumbsdown:, I have been a customer of yours for years and I am very unhappy, if someone from the company looks at this forum, he could take note and get it to where it belongs.
  • kevonkevon Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    It really is about time Tomtom got this massive requested feature of custom poi with icons, alerts ect sorted by now. It has been going on for years now! Very poor service. Are you ignoring your customers or what?????
  • BrianEBrianE Posts: 411 [Revered Navigator]
    I've sent the following message to the BBC as I think we need some experts to investigate what is going on with these companies.

"If you take a look at popular forums for satellite navigation systems, e.g. TomTom and PocketGPSWorld (for TomTom, Garmin and other makes), you will see that there is a lot of dissatisfaction with these products. At the forefront of such complaints are things like poor routing (e.g., being sent down single track country roads) and lack of support for custom POIs, especially on the newer TomTom models. Customers have been expressing their frustration for several years, but little or no response is ever fed back from the manufacturers. I was therefore wondering if the BBC might want to look into this further by gathering together a list of the problems that customers are experiencing and then sending someone to try to interview personnel at the manufacturers’ headquarters. It could be quite enlightening and an interesting topic for a programme such as your excellent Panorama series, as customers are routinely being kept in the dark and currently have no idea when or even if the ongoing problems are going to be rectified."
    BrianE
  • fredque2fredque2 Posts: 1 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I too would like to have better POI icons displayed on my GO 620. The small shapes, the Tomtom provides, do not help me much to tell the difference between each locations/POI.
  • daz_osdaz_os Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    DITO... I work with a Govt Dept we currently have around 20 of the old VIA280's AUNZ and we could add custom POI icons no problem. We have purchased 6 new Go 620's as a trial replacement and although it has some swankey features the POI icon issue is important to us so - I'm sorry but I will be taking them back to store and seeking a refund. - you need to address this TomTom!
  • daz_osdaz_os Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    correction the dept has 33 of the old VIA280's if we were to get the same number in GO620's at the price we were quoted thats ... about $9,000.00 AUS in one potential sale down the gurgler - not to be sneezed at wouldn't you agree. Have a nice day.