New Activity in app — TomTom Community

New Activity in app

BarbarerikBarbarerik Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
Hi there

How hard would be to add inline skating activity to the app? There is accurate place for it?

Thanks

Comments

• tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 16,676
    Superusers
    It does not appear they are adding any more sports modes, that is what they added Freestyle and gym modes for. Freestyle is for any GPS enabled non-core activities and Gym for non-GPS enabled activities. If they start adding sports modes then you may want in-line skating and I may want football and someone else may want paddle sports, this is why then went with the generic Freestyle. The existing sports also tie into the lifetime totals on MySports. If they add more sports modes they would also need to redesign all of MySports to capture them. You should try using Freestyle it gets you distance based on GPS and calories based on HR so it will be the most accurate (cycling and running use METs for calories and ignore HR).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • BarbarerikBarbarerik Posts: 10 [Master Explorer]
    ahm i am sorry but inline skating is more worth to have icon then snowboarding....)

i am not talking about watches, id like to have icon in the app, cose i dont use your app as many of your customer. So after sync i always have to go to my other app to change from freestyle to inline, or other sport.

So i am asking to add just icon to app to have separate sports categories. (its normal to have more diff. sports in those apps u can check it)

nice day
    ahm i am sorry but inline skating is more worth to have icon then snowboarding....)

i am not talking about watches, id like to have icon in the app, cose i dont use your app as many of your customer. So after sync i always have to go to my other app to change from freestyle to inline, or other sport.

So i am asking to add just icon to app to have separate sports categories. (its normal to have more diff. sports in those apps u can check it)
    tfarabaugh wrote:
    It does not appear they are adding any more sports modes, that is what they added Freestyle and gym modes for. Freestyle is for any GPS enabled non-core activities and Gym for non-GPS enabled activities. If they start adding sports modes then you may want in-line skating and I may want football and someone else may want paddle sports, this is why then went with the generic Freestyle. The existing sports also tie into the lifetime totals on MySports. If they add more sports modes they would also need to redesign all of MySports to capture them. You should try using Freestyle it gets you distance based on GPS and calories based on HR so it will be the most accurate (cycling and running use METs for calories and ignore HR).

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.

Superusers
    I would be willing to bet there are more snowboarders using the watch than inline skaters. But that goes to my point that everyone has different sports they use it for and they can't please everyone. Again, all the sports on the app are categorized to a sports type (running, cycling, skiing, swimming, other), so they can do lifetime totals, making it more difficult to simply add a random sport. And if you are actually using it on a different app then having it say inline skating in MySports williky be irrelevant as most other apps ignore the TT sports types and try to fit it into their own categories, and they often come in simply as "workout".
    i think you should try other app to see whats it about :)
    try strava, or endomondo no some straight not nice app to other athletes.
    there is no prob. every body has their favorite sports on top and thats it. no need to be one sport macho. againts progress.

if can Strava accept running could also accept speedskating or snowboarding no?
    Superusers
    I have tried plenty of other apps and taking Strava as an example, when I do a trail run, Strava simply imports it in as Run because they do not have trail running. If I do a gym workout Strava also brings it in as a run and I need to change it to weight training as the import does not give them details of the activity, just a generic category which each app matches to their own database of activities.
    ok but Endomondo has trail run :) shame on Strava :) but those are final apps, tomtom should be compatible because is in most cases only transport app.

but inline skating is also pretty popular and all of those apps has it in database

Are we talking about the same things?
    there is one free place right for inline skating icon.
    its just app there is plenty of ways how to put there all thing i can imagine.
    one popup menu and then select favorite sport can solve this problem.

thanks
    Superusers
    I appreciate you want inline skating, but the bottom line is that it is not likely to happen. The app is what it is and TT have given no indication they will expand the sports modes, which match what is on the watches only. If this is a key feature requirement for you, you may want to look at other brands who offer what you want now. I would not count on it coming, you need to make your decision based on the features that are currently offered, and not what may come in the future. Go into it with the assumption that what is in the box is all there is and it will never be updated, to save setting yourself up with false expectations.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
    1. what you know about app developing?
    2. everything is possible
    3. its only category, not new feature for watches (other app will recognize it and you don't have to go there and all the time swapping category like in steam era)
    4. if you are not developer of the Tomtom app we are just talking about nothing
    5. if you are better to reply: thanks for advice, but we will not implement it, we are not focused on inlineskaters. :) because they are not nice athletes :)
    Superusers
    This is user forum, no one on here speaks for TomTom. If you want to hear from TomTom directly you would need to call their Customer Support line. I am just sharing my many years of experience on here and what has been said in the past. The fact is they are not adding any more sports modes outside what is on the watch and TomTom will not comment on planned or future updates publicly (here or elsewhere) so we will just have to wait and see. I am done with this pointless discussion.