2017: Still no charging indicator!

AbramKJ
AbramKJ Registered Users Posts: 15
Outstanding Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I'm new to TomTom. Took the Spark Cardio+Music GPS Watch out for a run today. I absolutely loved running with music and without a phone. We're in the future!

However, combing through these forums, it would appear that there is still not a way to know how charged my watch is. Couldn't a software update give us a percentage number? Or could one at least show when it's charging so we can know how close to fully charged it is in that case?

It appears this has been requested multiple times already. Has TomTom indicated a time frame by which we can expect something more specific? This seems like basic functionality to me--especially given that this watch can beam music to my earbuds!

Comments

• Stuart McDonald
    Stuart McDonald Registered Users Posts: 759
    Exalted Navigator
    Hi,
    The About screen of the watch shows the battery level and when connected the entire watch screen shows a large battery icon that indicates when it's finished charging. I'm afraid there are no plans to add more than that.

Regards,
    Stuart.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    A percentage would be no more accurate than the bar they use. Battery gauges on consumer devices are a rough estimate at best (this is true of you phone and other items as well) and a gauge, bar graph, percentage or time left are all going to tell you the same thing. The batteries do not deplete in a steady predictable manner and depend on sensors chosen, external conditions and other factors so it is difficult to predict how long is left. I find the gauge on the Connect screen when it is plugged into a computer is the best indicator of how much charge the battery has.

I imagine this is not what you were hoping to hear but let me know if this answered your question. If it did, please mark it as a solution so other can look for it if they have the same question.
  • AbramKJ
    Outstanding Explorer
    tfarabaugh, I don't see the "mark as solution" option underneath your reply, but I thumbs upped it. You are right that it's not what I was hoping to hear, though. As Stuart also mentions, I understand that when it's charging that's the best indication (or, approximation) I have of battery life, but of course we would all benefit from something we can check while we're wearing it.

Having to go to the About screen seems an unnecessary step when the main screen can (and should) have a battery indicator, like just about every other similar device... not sure why TomTom is not prioritizing this. The battery icon that does show in About is pretty small anyway, almost too small to be useful.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
     Superuser
    You can actually only mark solutions from the website, not the mobile site, so that may be why you are not seeing it. One of the moderators will take care of it eventually. I am not sure why there is no battery meter on the clock face, I agree it is a fairly simple thing and is pretty much a given in the sports watch industry. For whatever reason they have not prioritized it, but honestly, there are other items I would like to see long before a battery meter on the clock (phone notifications, better HR accuracy, etc.).
  • AbramKJ
    Outstanding Explorer
    I've been viewing the thread on a desktop (Safari on Mac), so must be a bug.
  • kent davies
    kent davies Registered Users Posts: 91
    Supreme Trailblazer
    @AbramKJ

I don't know what watch version do you have but if you have an Android phone you could try the below app. It indicates the battery percentage off connected bluetooth devices. Attention that this only works for some devices. For example, my Runner2 does not work but works with another watch that I have.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.limi.baton
  • AbramKJ
    Outstanding Explorer
    Thanks! I'm not on Android, but appreciate the thought all the same.