Spark refusing to sync with app after a recent update

cryptothon
cryptothon Registered Users Posts: 19
Outstanding Explorer
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
Hello

Life got in the way and I haven't been running for 3 months. The watch was kept safely somewhere and was dead. So I fished it out, and fired it up yesterday, connected it to the computer, and it received several pending updates, I imagine. Everything seemed fine.
Today morning, I went for a run, and tried to sync with my phone app in the usual way. It has been "searching" and syncing unto 5% alternately for the past hour.
I have tried forgetting my device and re-pairing it with the phone. I do not want to do a factory reset, unless as a last resort. Is there anything I can do to make it sync, is this a known problem after recent updates?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    Do the factory reset and then repair the phone. A factory reset will not cause you to lose any data, the watch syncs when you first plug it in so everything is saved on MySports and your settings are reset afterwards. All you lose is the wheel size in cycling and turning splits on & off in running, as these are watch settings, not user settings. The history is erased from the watch but this clears itself every 10 activities anyway. The music is on a different drive that is untouched during a reset and MySports is not affected. The reset itself takes less than 5 minutes.

The steps are: uninstall the app, remove or forget the watch from the phone's BT menu, factory reset the watch, reinstall the app, select Pair New on the app, select Pair New on watch (press down from the clock and select Phone>Pair New, not Sync) and follow the prompts on the phone. You should not be pairing the watch first through the phone's BT menu; it is all done through the app and you must have the phone forget the watch in the BT menu before re-pairing.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • cryptothon
    cryptothon Registered Users Posts: 19
    Outstanding Explorer
    Thanks, I particularly did not want to go through the hassle of resetting the phone. luckily after about 7 hours, the watched synced by itself, I am guessing some kind of internet connectivity problem - although my computer was working perfectly fine at the same time...will observe for some more time whether I face this issue again.
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,935
    Superuser
    There may have been a server failure on TT's side, so it was cached waiting for it top come back up.

Glad I could help. When you get a chance please mark my response as a solution so others with the same question can look for it.
  • faboulo
    faboulo Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Traveler
    Tomtom has good hardware, especially the GPS chip which works fine, but the software is shit.
    For instance I can only sync my Runner 3 via a PC and a USB cable because the Tomtom Sport app does not sync with the Tomtom server. The watch syncs with the app, but the app doesn't sync with anything. I can repeat the sync procedure on and on, the phone does never sync. I checked the data connexion, i check the energy save mode, it does not work, and it is a shame because it's a main feature.
  • TimmyB1957
    TimmyB1957 Registered Users Posts: 20
    Outstanding Explorer
    Having a similar issue. When I finish a workout, the phone will automatically connect to the watch (when in range) and pull in the workout but will not push the information up to the server, and then on to Training Peaks. If I go into the apps on the phone and do a force stop on the Sports app, then go out and re-launch the Sports app, within seconds I get a notification that Training Peaks has been updated. Not sure if this is the same or not, but it has only happened in the past few weeks.