Requirement to carry mobile during run- When using RUNNER 3

nitish12m
nitish12m Registered Users Posts: 5
Neophyte Traveler
edited January 24 in TomTom Sports
I have new TomTom Runner 3 watch. I haven't used it for running or other outdoor activities. My simple question is do we need to carry our mobile phones during outdoor activities? How does the GPS work in runner 3 watch?

Comments

• tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    The watch is a stand alone GPS device there is no need for a phone. In fact it will not communicate with a phone at all during use, it is self-contained. The whole purpose of adding music to the watch was to avoid the need to carry a separate device. Just sync your watch to update the GPS data, go outside, hit Run and Go. It will record your route, the distance, time, HR, etc.. When you're done go back inside and plug it back into the computer (or sync by phone app) and it will all be uploaded to MySports for you to see.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • nitish12m
    Neophyte Traveler
    I asked this question because when I try for run mode, it gets stuck at please wait. Any remedy for this issue?
  • tfarabaugh
    tfarabaugh Posts: 16,943
    Superuser
    What is it waiting for? Which of the icons are flashing at the top? If is it the satellite it means it cannot get satellite coverage, if a heart it means it cannot get an HR signal. If your watch is set for external HR (under Sensors>Heart) then it will not start as it can't find the sensor. Switch it to On (if it is a Cardiac model) or Off (if it is non-Cardio). For the GPS you should be syncing your watch every three days at a minimum and make sure you are on the latest firmware to ensure it can acquire satellites more easily.

I hope this helped answer your question. If so, please mark it as a solution so others can look for it if they have the same question.
  • nitish12m
    Neophyte Traveler
    I could see satellite icon. My watch doesn't have in built hr monitor. I want the GPS to work. How?
  • Simon2002
    Simon2002 Registered Users Posts: 3
    Neophyte Traveler
    Have you got the Tomtom sprots connect software on your computer? If not install it - sync your watch so the GPS is up to date - go outside and go to run then left and it will say please wait - it does this while trying to find GPS. If you sync your watch often - every few days it is really fast at picking up GPS - if you have left it weeks - it'll take longer. Generally unless you want to run the second you step out the door you'll have GPS while warming up pre run. Just make sure you sync either with your computer or with your phone if you use the app.